Advice on range

cademan

Hello guys,

Still very new to flying the hexacopter so I thought I'd ask about range on the controller and hexacopter.

First of all my setup

F550 Flame wheel
Naza M + GPS
Futaba T8FG

I'd like to know what sort of range I'd get out of this setup and also if I do go out of range, will my failsafe enable and will the hexa fly home? My understanding is the radio and GPS are two different things. When the radio loses range with the hexa, this should enable the failsafe and the GPS should bring it home?

Also, what other obstructions, weather or anything else that could minimize the range.

Cheers.

ChrisViperM

With the Futaba T8FG you made a good choice...Futaba is known for their reliable Tx/Rx connection. On average you should have a minimum range of 2 km - 2,5 km. Weather is not a real big issue (apart from thunderstorms and blizzards), but it is important to stay away from everything what is emitting "electronic smog"...like powerlines, W-lan and so on. Also try to have a free line of sight between Transmitter and receiver. Your receiver should have diversity (which most of the newer receiver have (2 antennas).
If you set the Naza to failsave, make sure the failsave in your Futaba is disabled.

To send control signals to your copter is the "responsibility" of the Receiver and the transmitter, from where the signal goes into the flight controller (Naza) which "translates" your commands in a way that the copter is responding in the way you want it. The GPS belongs to the Naza and got nothing to do with your Futaba Tx/Rx. The GPS just tells the Naza where it is at any moment of your flight. If you start your copter the GPS/Naza automatically store the start position as the "home point" . The Naza constantly checks if the receiver is having communication with your transmitter, and if you loose connection, it will (depending how you set it up) switch to failsave/coming home. The GPS is assisting the Naza to find the home position (which was stored at take-off).

I would advise you to:

a) Make a range test with your transmitter/receiver....how to do that should be in your T8FG manual

b) Try to really understand all the different settings in the Naza....even if it is a bit confusing for a beginner.

c) For your flights (especially in the beginning) try to find a wide open field without obtractles...don't fly to high, to far or to fast.

d) Do everything slowly step by step and try to understand what you/the copter are doing....you won't be a master over night, and that happend with all of us.

e) ALWAYS make sure that you and your sourrounding are SAVE and nothing can get hurt.

f) In the beginning try to stay away from places with people asking you millions of questions while you should concentrate on your flight.

g) Only fly when you are confident and in a good mood

I hope I could help you a little bit....

Chris

cademan

With the Futaba T8FG you made a good choice...Futaba is known for their reliable Tx/Rx connection. On average you should have a minimum range of 2 km - 2,5 km. Weather is not a real big issue (apart from thunderstorms and blizzards), but it is important to stay away from everything what is emitting "electronic smog"...like powerlines, W-lan and so on. Also try to have a free line of sight between Transmitter and receiver. Your receiver should have diversity (which most of the newer receiver have (2 antennas).
If you set the Naza to failsave, make sure the failsave in your Futaba is disabled.

I would advise you to:

a) Make a range test with your transmitter/receiver....how to do that should be in your T8FG manual - Will look into that, thanks I didnt know there was such a test.

b) Try to really understand all the different settings in the Naza....even if it is a bit confusing for a beginner. - Yeah it all seems a bit much, cheers.

c) For your flights (especially in the beginning) try to find a wide open field without obtractles...don't fly to high, to far or to fast. - Yup I'm at the Park or construction site when it's empty.

d) Do everything slowly step by step and try to understand what you/the copter are doing....you won't be a master over night, and that happend with all of us.

e) ALWAYS make sure that you and your sourrounding are SAVE and nothing can get hurt.

f) In the beginning try to stay away from places with people asking you millions of questions while you should concentrate on your flight.

g) Only fly when you are confident and in a good mood

Cheers for your in depth reply chris, I have a better understanding now.

cademan

On the topic of staying away from powelines. What distance are we talking, and what would the outcome be if i flew too close?

One of main tracks we drive on where I live has powerlines running down the whole track.

Sent from my fishing boat.