Hoverfly Hoverfly GPS, another approach

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
Nice Razzil. too bad Hoverfly can't come up with something like that. One of the perks to being a Chinese manufacturer, you just go next door and ask for a plastic box.

It'll be great to hear some success Bart. I am going to fly inside of the Oakland Coliseum in a week and would love it if the GPS worked reliably. It is an open top stadium but I dont know if that prevents enough GPS sats from getting a clear signal for triangulation. Anyone know? I dont really need the gps but the Super Cross track is pretty damn big.

Mactadpole

Nice Razzil. too bad Hoverfly can't come up with something like that. One of the perks to being a Chinese manufacturer, you just go next door and ask for a plastic box.

It'll be great to hear some success Bart. I am going to fly inside of the Oakland Coliseum in a week and would love it if the GPS worked reliably. It is an open top stadium but I dont know if that prevents enough GPS sats from getting a clear signal for triangulation. Anyone know? I dont really need the gps but the Super Cross track is pretty damn big.

Be careful using GPS around places like this (buildings and other structures) because they can generate multi-path interference. It can cause your GPS to think it is somewhere it is not, which is not a good thing when flying. I don't know much about GPS antennas used on our multi's but for stationary field work I use antenna's that are designed to mitigate this type of interference.

You can probably get enough satellites in an open top stadium but I would be worried about interference. It would be something interesting to test but I don't know how fair of a test it is with the reported current performance of that unit. I don't have one so can't comment further.

Shawn

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
Yeah, the interference in the stadium is what worries me most. Cell phones, hd video links for the broadcast, etc. I would not rely on GPS one bit as i dont ever with the Hoverfly. I might as well take it off realistically. Truthfully most of my shots are long over by the time the gps has even established any satellites. I guess I keep it on there just in case I do a long shot and it might come in handy bringing her home. And that function does work very nicely if it has enough room to navigate back. In an open field where being 40' off doesnt matter it works great for this.

yeehaanow

I have to say I had no success with the external mag. It would get stuck on a heading then jump to something else, causing a sudden yaw.
So I took it off and calibrated the onboard compass. Spun the copter 360 and the compass showed the heading perfectly.

Still though, return to home or PH is not working. RTH was working great on my hex, but after moving to an octo it stopped working.