Hoverfly Winter Flying

Aerovideo

I did some flying today and while it wasn't excruciatingly cold it was about 30 F and mostly overcast. I was wondering how you pros handle the cold? I was afraid to fly with gloves for fear I wouldn't feel the sticks as well but without gloves my hands FROZE! I only got one FPV flight in and decided to call it good.

Just wondering what others do to keep warm when flying?

Here's the video from today:

Last edited by a moderator:

krleas

FPV Freak
Graupner props with speed flying at -11. No problem.

Last edited by a moderator:

Aerovideo

Wow, nice flying.

I wasn't too worried about my quad just my hands. You must be a lot tougher than me :) hehe

Of course a little sunlight would have helped. But still I see you too are gloveless.

Guess I'm just a wimp :)

Jake Bullit

Fly,crash,glue,repeat!
I flew my Disco and Y6 on Saturday morning.Started of at 0 deg C then rose to about 4 deg C .
My hands were very cold ,tried putting gloves on ,but I had no feel for the sticks.Maybe I`ll have to ask Father Christmas for one of these

View attachment 8182

BTW ,how is your camera mounted to the Disco,the video is very good.

Attachments

• default.jpeg
    default.jpeg
    7.8 KB · Views: 243

krleas

FPV Freak
I flew my Disco and Y6 on Saturday morning.Started of at 0 deg C then rose to about 4 deg C .
My hands were very cold ,tried putting gloves on ,but I had no feel for the sticks.Maybe I`ll have to ask Father Christmas for one of these

View attachment 10484

On 4 gel pads.

JZSlenker

Yeah, I can blow that up.
I fly with my thumbs. Depending on how cold it is, I have two options. My first choice is a pair of tight cloves that has a 1/2" hole cut in the thumbs. This is quite acceptable most of the time. If its too cold for this option, I go with a pair of Mechanix gloves. I fly with a Hitec TX which has nice multi-pointed stick tops. They dig into the thin leather of the Mechanix gloves pretty well. The "feel" isn't perfect but when your hands go numb from other methods it will do to get me through a shoot.

Kilby

Aerovideo

I fly with my thumbs. Depending on how cold it is, I have two options. My first choice is a pair of tight cloves that has a 1/2" hole cut in the thumbs. This is quite acceptable most of the time. If its too cold for this option, I go with a pair of Mechanix gloves. I fly with a Hitec TX which has nice multi-pointed stick tops. They dig into the thin leather of the Mechanix gloves pretty well. The "feel" isn't perfect but when your hands go numb from other methods it will do to get me through a shoot.

I fly with my thumbs as well, nice ideas, might have to try them.

View attachment 10484

Ahhh a radio glove thing, nice!

Hey guys....if you are freezing your fingers off during winter, try something like this:

http://www.raydiowarm.com/new_mitts.htm
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Warm-Glov...Control_Parts_Accessories&hash=item27c38e10d8

PS: krleas, that vid is just beautiful.....

Chris

Woah even more, jeez I didn't even know something like these even existed.

I knew it was a good idea to ask! :D

View attachment 10484

We recently received some of those covers. I'm curious to see how well they work. They also make heaters for these. Maybe ordering some of those if it gets cold here, which so far it hasn't. The weather here has been freakishly warm. I'm not complaining.

We recently shot in Maine, which was very cold. One thing you have to watch out for is keeping the batteries warm. Lipo batteries don't do well in the cold.

hoverben

Person of Interest
I would like to see/read more about any specific preparations you guys make before flying in cold weather. We don't get much sub-freezing weather here in central Florida, so I think the additional field data would be interesting at the very least.

Aerovideo

Hardware wise the only difficulty I've run into are my Turnigy Plush ESCs sometimes take a little longer to arm.

I also keep my batteries warm in the car/indoors prior to flying.

My biggest problem so far has been my wimpy hands :)

I would like to see/read more about any specific preparations you guys make before flying in cold weather. We don't get much sub-freezing weather here in central Florida, so I think the additional field data would be interesting at the very least.