Hi, I'm a professional photographer want a multicopter for aerial photography

Giovanni59

29 years as a professional photographer specializing in architectural photography. For 15 years I have also been operating Blimp Cam, a helium filled 18 ft. blimp, teathered with remote control servos for tilt and pan. The blimp can go as high as 500 feet. Samples on my website, www.giophoto.com. Using a JR remote control, (FM) and streaming video down to an lcd screen for composition. Shooting with an old Canon rebel. Helium is getting very expensive and I needed to replace the expensive blimp every 2-3 years anyway so I thought I'd look into RC copters. I have no RC experience so these are my first steps. Any photographers want to throw anything out there as advice? I will probably join my local RC club and I have already been advised to get a simulator by Yuri. I will buy a small cheap copter to practice on as well. I'm considering the Storm Drone, http://www.helipal.com/storm-drone-ff-flying-platform-rtf.html I eventually want a platform that will support a d-slr, probably Canon although the Lumix has been highly recommended. I will eventually do video too since there are hundreds of golf courses in my area. Thanks and looking forward to getting to know you all.

Tethered commercial AP is permitted, commercial controlled flight in three axis is not by the FAA so I would hold onto the blimp for a bit and get some practice in.

matwelli

Without being silly. The us army I think did a tethered multi . Best of both worlds. Fly it as a multi to practice , and tie a fishing line to it when shooting commercially. With auto level it should hold position fairly well

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk 2

Yes and if it uses the tether for power it could sit for a while. It's not a silly idea it could be a great risk mitigator. I have thought it might be ideal for some of the silly platforms both you and I have built in the past Mat.

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
If you tethered the heli to the bottom of the blimp you would have full safety of the heli at all times. The blimp could be a full time "parachute." The heli would allow more versatile movements. Take that FAA!

matwelli

definately worth some further thought - we could come up with a nice solution, and powering via tether would really reduce the weight, and confirm to all the rule while allowing a versitile flying camera gimbal

Giovanni59

definately worth some further thought - we could come up with a nice solution, and powering via tether would really reduce the weight, and confirm to all the rule while allowing a versitile flying camera gimbal

Wow, I never was aware that was the case about FAA. If I go with a copter it will definately be without the blimp. I am so done with that system. Any wind over 10 mph makes it almost impossible to get any good shots, let alone keep it from crashing into trees and buildings. What is the wind limit for these copters? I like the idea of being tethered, of course to satisfy FAA, but also for longer flight time.

Thanks for all the info. I am now trying to decide whether to pay someone to build a system or jump right in and learn as I go and build one myself.

SaliKo

It has long been taking pictures from the air. From under the parachute canopy of free fall is finally out from under the wing hang glider. Almost always with it. With tripods tried, is not interested. When installed on the target itself is not modest somehow, and catch the shot someone flying, is problematic. Putting on a tripod shirokougolku, (as well as use for air survey) consider inappropriate. Quickly bored with a shallow pan glider in the distance, under which it is absolutely not possible to identify the pilot. That is enough to need a machine with a long focal length, not less than 50 otherwise all fine, but not worth more than 100, because at high magnifications hard not to grease the frame. Flash in the air at least useless. Rarely have to shoot someone at a distance of twenty meters closer. Yes, and we fly mostly during the day and in good weather. Bad if the unit does not allow forcibly turn off the flash. He may mistakenly try to highlight the frame, and interest on fifty meters away will still dark. But "what a treat" to receive in-flight shooting "head" flash across his eyes. Many phones with autofocus besides simply do not have time to focus the lens on the fast speeding object.
In general, my favorite way to take photos of people in the sky - a shallow dive on the opposite intersecting courses. One eye looking through the viewfinder, another important not to close and look at the approaching object. So to speak in kind. And then time to turn away. The main thing to remember about the diligence and hard to get involved.