DJI 550 First Flight Woes

Trying to accomplish my first flight with my recently built DJI 550.

The craft wants to lift off at varying angles and not come up straight. I have not had a successful take off yet. Flipped it over a couple of times. :-(

I know there are lots of variables which could be causing this. Props are on correctly and motors turn the right direction.

I have Graupner props but decided to install them later... when I have more experience... and the risk is lower.

I currently have the larger DJI props installed but will be switching to the smaller ones... for more control?

BTW I have home made legs (fiberglass rods) cable tied to the stubby arm legs. I plan to remove them prior to my next attempt since they seem to increase the risk of breaking arms on a rough landing.

Any tips or advice is appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Jim

Last edited by a moderator:

Tomstoy2

Esc's are all calibrated?

Do not take off in manual mode, ( think sport flying ), Attitude or GPS mode, ( if you have gps ).

Do not take off at a gradual ascent speed.

Advance the throttle until it starts to feel a little light, do a slight stick stir to help get the gyros semi-active, then advance the throttle popping it off the ground about a meter and level off.

Thanks for the tips.

I presume "attitide" mode is "altitude hold mode" and that it was a translation error from Japanese.

How is it that we can take off and accend in "attitude" mode if it is meant to hold altitude?

Also, why do the motors stop when the throttle is lowered too much in "attitude" mode? This must cause lots of crashes! What is the logic behind this?

I had thought attitude mode held altitude but the craft would drift or could me manuvered with the stick. (but not up or down)

I had though "GPS attitude" mode locked the craft in place and it could not be moved with the sticks.

Now, after more reading on this site, I realize that you can move the ship while in GPS attitude mode but the GPS will keep it mostly in place if there is no stick input. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Thanks in advance for any help.

UPDATE: I made my first flight semi- controlled in my back yard, however brief! Tom's advice about popping it up was a good help. I still have lots to learn...

sinaregg

adjusting the gains using dji assistant also helps. My first 550 flew very stable at the default settings (100%). My second 550 required lowering the gains to about 80%, this made it less reactive. The throttle will cause lift off at about 50% plus or minus depending on all up weight. If you reduce throttle to about 40% the craft will descend at a comfortable rate. At no time would you want to go below 30% unless you enjoy crashing your aircraft! The 10% cut off is there for safety.

Had a successful (long duration) first flight today. OMG !!! I'll post video shortly. Got at least 15 minutes out of the Pulse 6600. I am amazed at how easy to fly the DJI-550 is. I am completely THRILLED !!!

Stayed in GPS mode the entire time. The stability is astounding even in the windy conditions!!

Next flight I'll have the GoPro mounted underneath. I can't wait to get the FPV camera installed and try out the FatShark goggles.

Thanks again Tom for the tip about popping up on take off.

First flights:http://youtu.be/VvMKmcKc_Ik

Davidhippo

Hi jim, I'd second sinaregg on gain settings, I'm probably a month or so further down the road than you are with an f550 wkm build and found a bit of time spent playing with gain settings made all the difference.

Just a thought on the DJI standard props, they are really poor, I had a DJI prop fail during one of my first flights and was very very lucky to get away with no damage, you may not be.....

see this thread http://www.multirotorforums.com/showthread.php?6432-DJI-stock-prop-explodes-on-video!

I've got between 1-2 hours of flight logged on the DJI-550 so far since my start of this thread.

• The craft still lurches to one side a bit on take-off, seems random directions. I have not changed gains but I'll look into it.
  • I'm really learning the limitations of the GoPro still image and video quality, especially of high contrast scenes....with that in mind,...
  • I'd like to bring a better quality camera up but I'm only running 9" Graupners and stock motors.
  • Have not hooked my FPV yet.