NAZA + Ar7000 failsafe/RTH question

SteveCH

I'm about to buy a NAZA with the GPS module. My question is I will be flying my quad with a dx7 and I plan to fpv it and am I right in saying that if I were to loose signal with my dx7 the quad would go into RTH mode and just fly back? I head that there are only some AR7000 receivers have this fail safe. I looked at my ar7000 and is only says Batt not Batt/Data. Can I upgrade the firmware on this receiver or do I need to just buy a updated receiver? IF it it possible to update the firmware will spektrum do it for free?

DesJardins

Does the Rx manual state it can do "Pre-set" fail safe as well as "Last command" fail safe?
Pre-set fail safe is what allows you to bind with all your switches in the RTH sequence so if the transmitter loses signal or powers off it goes into the pre-determined fail safe.

STI-REX

Gettin Old
I use the AR7000 and it is a case of when you bind the radio to the tx

Place bind plug into rx and power up the rx and while the light is flashing remove the bind plug with out doing any thing else and leave power to rx

Then place all switches on the radio into the positions required for fail safe operation I.E more than 10 % throttle and which ever switch you have the fail safe set to

And then whilst holding the bind button in turn on the radio power and bind as normal

This is then set as smart fail safe and will operate all channels as they were preset when bound if signal is lost

Well that is how i did mine and it works perfectly
Cheers

DesJardins

Perfect process, I'll add per the Naza box your want to bind with at least 10% minimum throttle (I did 15%) to be safe over the minimum. This keeps the motors from stopping.

Chalagi

I don't think that the Spektrum AR7000 has a "Preset fail safe". I know that the AR7010 does have a preset.

STI-REX

Gettin Old
Well I am sure it does as that is why you take the bind plug out before pushing the bind key

leaving the plug in whilst binding will just set it to last known control positions of current flight with low throttle

Any way mine works this way and did not whilst binding with the plug in

But you must place all switches where they need to be to drive the NAZA into failsafe and throttle above 10% ( I use 40% ) whilst binding and the NAZA will take care of the rest

Chalagi

I was just going by what the AR7000 manual says about smart safe and it did not mention any thing about preset fail safe.

SteveCH

Well I am sure it does as that is why you take the bind plug out before pushing the bind key

leaving the plug in whilst binding will just set it to last known control positions of current flight with low throttle

Any way mine works this way and did not whilst binding with the plug in

But you must place all switches where they need to be to drive the NAZA into failsafe and throttle above 10% ( I use 40% ) whilst binding and the NAZA will take care of the rest

Does you ar7000 say batt/data on the front of you receiver or does it just say batt?

Chalagi

My Spektrum AR7010 it says "Batt/Data" on the front and in the instructions it does tell how to set up the preset fail safe along with the "Smart safe" as well.

DesJardins

If I remember correctly smart safe is a automatic built-in feature and it just goes along with the preset failsafe or last position

STI-REX

Gettin Old
This is what i was told by somebody else and it seems to work very much as he describes it

Originally the AR7000's only let you set the throttle fail safe, and all other channels would just hold their last known position in the event of a lost signal. This is a bad thing if you happen to be turning when it loses the signal I think they called that "smartsafe" or something like that.

Now the firmware upgraded AR7000's allow you to set fail safe positions for all channels. If you the signal is lost, it will move all the channels to the fail safe positions rather than holding them. To set it up, you insert the bind plug in the receiver, power the receiver, then REMOVE the bind plug before you turn on the transmitter (with the bind button pressed) AND all sticks and switches in fail safe positions ( I use 40% throttle and have the AUX2 switch activated which drives the Naza into failsafe )

That binds the TX/RX and sets the fail safe to the positions that are on the TX at that time.

UNQUOTE

Now from what i have been told it is firmware v1.6 and up that has that ability ( which mine is ) if you send your rx in the only cost is freight for the upgrade to the firmware apparently

I'm not trying to be a know all but it just works as described above when i tested it when binding with the plug in and hit failsafe it was only 1 foot off the ground but it just fell to the ground as the motors stopped

when done with the method above it went straight up and hovered for 5 secs and then came back to me and hovered for about 15-20 secs at height and then landed with in 1.5 mtr of where it took off from

Cheers

Chalagi

Ok you never mentioned that you did a firmware upgrade. But with out the upgrade it will not support that process.

STI-REX

Gettin Old
Ok you never mentioned that you did a firmware upgrade. But with out the upgrade it will not support that process.

G'Day
I never did a firmware upgrade it is just how my rx came with a sticker of v1.6 stuck to the side of the rx from the factory and i bought this radio with the rx about 20 months ago to replace a damaged one

Cheers
James