Hoverfly is at the RNC

Photronix

Pilot
I am really surprised at the reaction my post has received. We felt it was a big win to be accepted at this level and I will explain why. It seams like the political nature seeped into the reaction and makes me curious what would have happened if it was the DNC instead of the RNC. I'm not sure there was any cost to tax payers for United Drones to be there. It was a special request by the event coordinators including the addition of the aerial drone. United Drones was not sure they would be able to fly at the event but they are planning to bring it in case they receive authorization.

One of the reasons United Drones was asked to develop the Wraith and the Aether Aero was specifically to save taxpayer dollars. The big defense contractors would charge 10 times as much for the same capabilities and would have taken years to develop. They were developed for other applications and as I said were asked to be at the RNC. When I saw the article and talked to them they hoped to fly. I'm not sure the final word has really been made on this.

Hoverfly was excited to be part of it because we were chosen after a great deal of testing as the only flight controller that could do the job. They need to be able to lift large payloads which the other controllers were unable to do (tragically I might add). In addition, we are available for support and are willing to work with OEM customers to develop specialized software to integrate with other systems. Finally, we are Made in the USA and an actual corporation. US drones require US brains. There is simply no way they will buy or fly ones with Chinese flight controllers.

In the article Curt mentioned the capabilities of what he thought their line of aerial drones could achieve. The article was written as if the one they were bringing to the RNC could achieve these. This was misconstrued as he stated in the second article someone posted "Our problem is everything we said was misconstrued," he said. "We talked about our capabilities, not what we're doing there."

So back to the specs.

50lbs - This has been flown and tested
4 hour flight time - This is special battery technology that is not available to the public. Some of the tests were more like 7 hours. So yes it is very possible.
Hurricane - Wow yeah I'm sure it would be in the air but I'm not sure you would call it flying.
109X zoom - Yeah this exists and is about 2lbs, fits in your hand, and is pretty amazing. No thats not it in the pic someone posted. Thats not even the aircraft they developed as far as I can tell.
4000 feet high - Sure thats not hard....not going to be easy to get clearance tho.
Lift with 2 fingers - Sure the frame is carbon and its light. I can lift a skyjib frame with one finger. Add the payload, batteries, motors, etc...no I can't lift it with 2 fingers. But who knows what the reporter thought he meant. AUW? who knows.

So I hope you will see the post for what I think it is. A nice mark of approval after a great deal of testing by some pretty remarkable engineers. It's a nice win for USA too because both United Drones and Hoverfly are completely US based manufacturers.

BTW the Wraith is a badass. It was developed very quickly to combat the ambushes our border patrol agents have been getting killed in. In some places the US southern border has one or two agents for every 50 miles. When they get in trouble backup can be over an hour away. The Wraith can follow them all day long and has the ability to act as backup for each agent. Its big about the size of a large ATV and has the capability to protect an agent.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mactadpole

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"Mr. Winter called Mr. Altman back to say he misspoke regarding a statement he made yesterday about receiving a waiver from the FAA to operate the drones." ([/FONT]Tampa Bay Times link[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]) - He must have been hanging around RNC planners too much, as "misspeaking" seems to be going around a lot these days. [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]I am curious if Hoverfly has made their waypoint navigation feature available to companies like this? It seems that this would almost be a necessary feature for security and reconnaissance missions.

I love how the HoverflyPro flies but without waypoint navigation capabilities it is not suitable for my needs.
[/FONT]

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
waypoints will indeed be the next major step forward for HF if/when it happens. it's the last piece of the puzzle to make the HF PRO a replacement system for the other big players. I don't really need it yet but doing engineering/surveying work will require it and I'm in touch with those sorts of folks so it shouldn't be long now.

any word on that HoverAL?

Congrats on the big steps forward with the equipment Al. I'm very happy with my HF XY8 and am making plans to build another.

Bart

jes1111

I hear your conviction, but I'm not swayed ;) -

The whole thing smells bad. UnitedDrones.com was only registered about 9/10 months ago. The domain shares a server with 253 "mom & pop websites". Googling the name produces zero hits other than this blatant bit of kite flying. I'm familiar with government/military procurement (I'm not at liberty to disclose further details ;)) and it doesn't work like this.

In the meantime, please name this magical battery technology - I'd like to get some of that (I'm not "the public" ;))!

jcmonty

In the meantime, please name this magical battery technology - I'd like to get some of that (I'm not "the public" ;))!

Agreed, I have heard of lithium air battery technology, which would fit the bill , but that's still very much in R&D. I am very plugged into this scene as well (small military UAV propulsion systems). So, I try to keep up on this sort of stuff :)

jes1111

Meanwhile, in other "drone industry" news... the FAA is playing that old game of "Oh, they want information? Let's flood 'em!" - https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2012/07/faa-releases-thousands-pages-drone-records

But the best is from Honeywell, describing the failsafe capabilities of their MAV drone:
if the engine is starved, the vehicle will lose thrust and the MAV flight path will become a gravity-dominated ballistic trajectory with an eventual ground impact
So it'll crash, you mean? ;)

Bison52

Jes1111. That definition of a crash may be the funniest thing I've read in a while. At least since the commenter on a post about Lance Armstrong being stripped of all his medals:

"I'll bet that cheater didn't never walk on the moon neither."

MombasaFlash

Heli's & Tele's bloke
Reading all that stuff one cannot help but question who is the biggest threat to the commercial Aerial Photographer attempting to make a living taking harmless and interesting photos or videos of real estate or events, to blind and draconian over-regulation by the Federal/Civil Aviation Authorities?

The ignorant and irresponsible low-lifes within the FPV community, whose primary aim is to produce a YouTube movie displaying their daring, high altitude pranks, or the Department of Defence acting as the motivation for high-tech corporations to develop increasingly sophisticated 'drones' for surveillance and killing by remote control.