Z16 Gh2 Version, a little bit hmmmming

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
Hi Guys,

finally got my Z15 GH2 and I have one or two questions. Want to use it first as a single person setup, and not even control it in any kind of way. Thus i hooked it up didn't connect any RX
and its behaving strangely on startup. Pan is drifting more right after startup and a little later on, but in the copter yaw left or right the reaction of the gimbal doesnt seem right ? or check video please

What i am also wondering about is the status LED on the zenmuse at the beginning it turned green after booting now it keeps on flashing red ?

Thanks

Boris

(edit) hehe sorry about the title Z15, not Z16 ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
okay the red Led indicated that the cameras is not on :) and the slight yaw drift stops once in the field i was told by z15 nex owners lets see.

All in all i am really happy to finally have the zenmuse !

Boris

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
Found it interesting one. On the VTX there is a fan for cooling if I desolder it so fan off the gimbals behaves normally. Think the whole vtx just draws too much

Boris

fritz99

Hi Boris !

I got my Z15 for Sony yesterday and installed it.
I also have some strange behavior.

When I turn on power the gimbal begins to rotate in all 3 achses and does not stop.
I have to block it by hand and then it will find its "home" position. ( But not always )
If I do not connect pan it is also drifting a little bit.

I think the technology of the gimbal is very good.
But i am not sure if some firmware things are already very stable.

The worst thing is, that I cannot trigger video only pictures.

Today I will make the first test flights.

Fritz

DennyR

When it is doing it's calibration it must be connected to the powered up WKM.

Boris that video shows you were in FPV mode so the pan heading slaves to the models heading but it also has some degree of Pan stab.

You cannot start/stop the video in flight only take stills.

Video should be started and everything on the monitor checked before you lift off. Make sure you can see REC. or you wont have any footage when you land.

Last edited by a moderator:

fritz99

When it is doing it's calibration it must be connected to the powered up WKM.

Boris that video shows you were in FPV mode so the pan heading slaves to the models heading but it also has some degree of Pan stab.

You cannot start/stop the video in flight only take stills.

Video should be started and everything on the monitor checked before you lift off. Make sure you can see REC. or you wont have any footage when you land.

Do I have to power up WKM and afterwards the gimbal ?
Or can I power up both at the same time with the same connector to the LIPO ?

Fritz

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
its just comes down to the point that everything else it a joke compared to the z15 at the moment ! If you can deal with the NEX or GH2 and want to spend that amount of money your decision should be for a Zen.

The others don't come close ! and eventually aren't that much cheap if you calculate in a full 360 solution, with IMU, with hdmi converter, with camera trigger, and must important working out of the box
what the other solutions all don't do so hours of work go in, that might lead to good results.

Boris

jes1111

It is uncannily good, but shackled by being restricted to just two cameras. Admittedly they are two of the better cameras in their sector but this, to my mind, limits the appeal (along with the price tag). And when they scale this up to a bigger payload the price is going to be positively scary.

They've set a benchmark for everybody else, for sure. When the rest of the market gets past using RC hobby servos and PWM signalling they'll have some serious competition ;)

Digitech

you can use Video shutter

how: get a Genled IR trigger for Panasonic
hook it up to a extra channel on the receiver for the Gimbal
mount it onto the s800 landing gear and let it point towards the Zen.
now when in forward motion you can trigger video record on/off
or with the stock shutter take a Picture

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
It is uncannily good, but shackled by being restricted to just two cameras. Admittedly they are two of the better cameras in their sector but this, to my mind, limits the appeal (along with the price tag). And when they scale this up to a bigger payload the price is going to be positively scary.

They've set a benchmark for everybody else, for sure. When the rest of the market gets past using RC hobby servos and PWM signalling they'll have some serious competition ;)

Im just worried that the competition won't catch up that fast. Remember when we got to see the first test/demo flights from DJI of gimbals that were based on the zenmuse technology. Back than the results were very good already but it took them 3/4 of a year to actually get into production. If you look at the latest achievements of PH
i am struggling with my trust that they will hack it in the near future! And I bet they would love to be teasing people already with the Heros gimbals ! The skyline will not be driving their Hero-gimbals, so they are out for a another IMU development/attempt :) or they are buyng the technology from DJI like mentioned once in RCGroups forum :) from someone who should know !

Yeah hope DJI doesnt go crazy and maybe adds 0-1000 $ extra onto a 5D gimbal which should come end of this / beginning next year.

Boris

Digitech

infact the Combination is dead cheap.

exept for a Nex-100 a C300 or a Red epic

anything smaller the Nex 7 or especially the GH2 (firmware hack) is one of the best choices out there.
just calcualte what you pay for a RTF Droidworx with fully loaded extra,s

the S800 just needs a Video TX and you are ready to roll

jes1111

I guess this depends on whether you see the NEX/GH2 thing as a limitation or not. As a photographer, I don't want to have my camera and lens choice dictated by the tripod. That's the angle I'm coming from. If I was a real estate agent or the owner of some electricity pylons then I'd be perfectly happy with the shopping list: GH2, S800, Z15 - write a cheque, done. But as a photographic tool, for stills or video?... and I have to buy a NEX5/7 or a GH2 as well?... and I can only use a fixed wide angle lens?... and it costs how much?... err, you're kidding, right? ;)