Just got my S800 "gimbal Question"

Dax

Today I got my new S800 (I hope it has new ESC's), DJI now ships it with the batter tray. My problem is the tray mounts on the bottom of the main frame and I don't know where to mount the camara. My question is does any one know of a gimbal other then the DJI $3500 gimbal ? (to expensive for me). The Spread Wings S800 looks like a fine UAV, well built. Can't wait to get it in the air. :nevreness:

Attachments

• IMG_0002.jpg
    IMG_0002.jpg
    145.8 KB · Views: 287

ChrisViperM

Hi
The dealer where you bought your S800 should be able to tell you about the new ESC's. The S800 was constructed in a way that the S800, the mounting position of the LiPos and the Zenmuse gimbal should form a homogenic unit and only then you would have a perfectly balanced craft. There is a few gimbals on the market, but it depends a lot on what you want to do....just a little bit FPV flying on the low end or super smooth high quality films. For doing "low quality" filming you got the wrong aircraft, there is a lot more suitable (and cheaper) Copters on the market. On higher quality filming stuff you won't find any aftermarket gimbal for the S800 to make you happy....apart from the fact that you need additional gimbal stabilization and a lot of time for cranking all the setting...The S800 is a pretty wobbly bird, but the Zenmuse gimbal can "swallow" all that and gives you super smooth footage. Looks like you are trapped now...either save up some money and buy a Zenmuse gimbal, or sell your S800 and get another Copter. You could always try to find a "in between" solution, but you never will be happy...sorry. There might be other opinions from users on this board...just wait a little bit and see what else comes up.

PS: might also be interesting for you: http://www.multirotorforums.com/showthread.php?3785-Battery-tray-for-DJI-s800&highlight=battery+tray

Chris

Last edited by a moderator:

DennyR

At no time did I ever have any issues with the S800 and stability, it was as good as anything else that I have seen. I also did not need to retune any settings. Straight out of the box it will work with a Zen.

Eoin

I have to agree with Denny. The S800 is a really nice machine. The only problems I have had with stability were my own fault. As soon as I got her dialed in correctly she behaved perfectly.
In fact after being out of the air for two weeks I finally got my replacement ESC's installed this morning and marvelled at how stable she was. If you have any problems just re-address your settings.
As far as gimbals are concerned there are definitely options out there.
Don't despair Dax, and best of luck with your S800. I'm sure you'll be happy !

Dax

Thanks guy's, I think I will get the Zenmuse gimbal. I hope to install my Wookong M this weekend. I have the WKM in my DJI F550 and it is working fine.
Anyone know if the Zenmuse gimbal come with a controller ?.

Dax

I have two more Question. (1) I need to know what controlls the Zenmuse gimbal do I need to buy a controller for the Zen ??, (2) how dose the Zen lock on the to the subject ?