What does one prefer? WK-M or NAZA+GPS?

DjiFan

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone has had both systems, and which they would prefer and why?

Would be a great help in understanding why one would choose a very expensive WK-M system over a NAZA system.

I appologize if this question has already been posted, if so please direct me to it.

Thanks,
DjiFan

Not meaning to hijack your thread here, but have you considered a Hoverfly Pro? We've been very happy with ours. But, I haven't owned DJI, so I can't speak for the products you're asking about. You've definitely come to the right place though - lots of experienced folks on this forum.

Best of luck with your purchase,
Benjamin Rowland

I am new, but I have both.. from what I know, the WKM allow for the DJI Datalink /View upgrades. Now that the NAZA has GPS, it appears that from a traditional TX/RX control/flying it is very similar..

Fail-Safe, GPS hover, ATTI flight. I have only use the WKM, my Naza and GPS is in the box/sealed. I may need to open it up and see.

I am sure there are more technical difference than that short burst I put, but that is from my short experience.. looking for more info too.

KS

Dewster

I would have purchased the Naza with GPS upgrade if I knew that it would be out a few months later. I don't plan on using waypoints etc in the future. It's just more weight and having to lug a laptop around to program a waypoint is just no fun. I like having the controls readily accessible. For shear fun at a lower price I would just use the Naza/GPS.

Yes, I agree @ Dewster.. though I ended up getting 2 WKM, and 1 NAZA.. the WKM has the ability to do both, so, if it was in a crave for a quick flight with just the hex and the TX, then the WKM would work.. then on days that I had all day to just tinker, test, play.. I could take the laptop, tent, charger, chairs, just like a picnic and just go out there.

The real selling point for me on the NAZA was price.. it would be a good less expensive backup to the WKM if the waypoint was not "wanted".

tppeng

I have both and flown both and currently have 2 WKM and 1 Naza-GPS in service.

I would say it really depends on your application, but here are couple of differences:

WKM over Naza GPS:
1. more copter layout selections (Octo specifically)
2. better RTH function (as oppose to just climb up and fly straight back)
3. POI which is great for object portrait
4. Wayyyy better gimbal support (yet still need improvement)

Naza-GPS over WKM:
1. Cheap (1/2 of price), yet since you have both so it doesn't matter anymore
2. Smaller and Lesser wiring
3. GPS hold as good as a WKM

Here's my scenario:

When I go out to promote myself to potential customers, I usually just jack my Gaui 500x (very nice frame with dihedral, btw) with Naza-GPS and hard mount gopro, to get people's attention and impression;
When I start a shoot, I will then use my WKM F550 rig with gopro on a stabilized gimbal, to plan and preview my story board.
Then it comes to the real shot, I will finally use my DW AD8 with WKM on professional camera and gimbal for final production clips.

of the several jobs I have done I find this being my final setup, even though I will still look for better gimbal stabilization but flying-wise I'm pretty sure I am settled.

Just my .02

I have both and flown both and currently have 2 WKM and 1 Naza-GPS in service.

I would say it really depends on your application, but here are couple of differences:

WKM over Naza GPS:
1. more copter layout selections (Octo specifically)
2. better RTH function (as oppose to just climb up and fly straight back)
3. POI which is great for object portrait
4. Wayyyy better gimbal support (yet still need improvement)

Naza-GPS over WKM:
1. Cheap (1/2 of price), yet since you have both so it doesn't matter anymore
2. Smaller and Lesser wiring
3. GPS hold as good as a WKM

Here's my scenario:

When I go out to promote myself to potential customers, I usually just jack my Gaui 500x (very nice frame with dihedral, btw) with Naza-GPS and hard mount gopro, to get people's attention and impression;
When I start a shoot, I will then use my WKM F550 rig with gopro on a stabilized gimbal, to plan and preview my story board.
Then it comes to the real shot, I will finally use my DW AD8 with WKM on professional camera and gimbal for final production clips.

of the several jobs I have done I find this being my final setup, even though I will still look for better gimbal stabilization but flying-wise I'm pretty sure I am settled.

Just my .02

Very well explained …..+ 1 :applause:

Shiu

DjiFan

wow,

I would like to thank everyone for there vast experience to input on my dumb-*** question.

As it really helps a lot.
DjiFan

When in reality all I really wanted to do was drive a heli in the sky like a car.

So is this possible? with today's technology?

Before I spend thousands of dollars, will I be able to experience FPV, in a quality good enough to say yes? I can do this you can to?

Or should I wait a few years to see what technology will bring?

use a naza for fpv or wait a bit longer and get a cc3d for even cheaper.... Wookong has too much going on for fpv rigs. My 2 cents, yes the tech is available to fly the heli like u drive a car.

check out the fpv thread lower on the list