Droidworx AD-8 Crash - Fault ANALysis

RotorTalk

No Longer Active
Was up in the UK Lakes a couple of weeks ago and managed to apply a couple of examples of rank stupidity having had a good run since maiden flight up 'til then. Given the ongoing uncertainties around multi rotor AP flying I decided to make telemetry a top priority.... no flying without a black box to sit down and study in the event of a ditching.

So I front-up at the cricket club, chat to the groundsman who happens to have been a one time BBC cameraman and was keen to see the latest semi-autonomous filming platform.

I did all the pre-flight checks (the list is self-expanding), had my friend Tim alongside, new to this type of voyeurism and completely unfamiliar with what a normal flight should look like. He had his iPhone on video and the modest but rugged as hell Canon G11 was my onboard video and gimbal ballast.

In transition (that fretful moment between take-off and catastrophe or hover ha ha ) I sensed something was wrong with pitch. Not enough to abort so I flipped the TH forward a blip and up she came...

TO BE CONT'd

Only joking, but recognition of how much bloody fun it is reading about someone else's crash - I've done it myself ha ha...

WAIT FOR IT...

She hopped cleanly up to about 3 metres with a marked FWD tilt and rapidly accelerated to...

Now for those of you who don't believe in telemetry here's the beauty of it. I KNEW right then and there that things had gone tits up but there was a smug part of me (no doubt in the reptilian part of the grey matter) that said - don't worry its being logged - you'll learn from this. It'll be something dastardly complicated that only deep telemetry analysis can divulge.

Meanwhile my friend Tim who'd never seen a multi rotor shrieked with impulsive wonder exclaiming "Wow that's cool". This really through me and resulted in some serious stick wobblies which didn't help at all. I nearly cracked up larfing too...

I by this time had the elevator stick fully backed but this was barely slowing her down. She was heading (real fast) towards some ruminating sheep on a tussocked hilltop some 180m away. I decided that prior to loosing sight of her I'd have to put her down so back on the throttle whilst maintaining full rearward stick and bang in she went. Fortunately the fabled stoicism of Hardwick sheep meant that none of them moved an inch - they carried on chewing the cud.

The humiliation of walking past the groundsman with 3 limp booms was bad enough but it didn't match the galling feeling of having missed something fundamental.

Of course I leaped to the inevitable false premise - bloody firmware I thought knowing that I was going to have to be coolly analytical about this and that the telemetry data would hold the answer.

We had two good videos, the G11 survived its second ditching (whereas the gimbal didn't) and we could hear the combination of adulation followed by consternation on Tim's take-off vid soundtrack.

So we get back to the Hotel and I download the Jeti and Graupner logs.

A few things checked out...

The Wookong-M was getting all the stick inputs. The GPS signal was good (although I was in ATTI mode). The batts and power system were fine. The Tx and Rx signals and Voltages were fine.

But these data really impressed me...
  • it reached 30Km/hr at 10m before I slowed her down
  • was pulling 160Amps
Looking at the telemetry logs indicated that there was no problem with the radio or Wookong-M.

That led me to look elsewhere.

Now there is someone on this forum that knows the answer so hopefully he'll keep quiet.

Anyone else want to guess? I will come clean promise.:tennis:

Last edited by a moderator:

hugh4g

How about a prop upside down?

Best

Hugh....

Make good stews those Hardwicks... and having been rotored, presumably a good mince too!

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
i'd guess maybe the Pitch channel was reversed or the camera wasn't your usual piece of equipment and the balance was way off. Maybe the WKM was installed backwards?

outstanding retelling of events....it makes crash threads everywhere proud!

snurre

Hm. Two front side props being swapped with each other (CW-CCW)?

How long are you going to keep us hanging? I will not get any sleep until ... :upset:
And I agree with Bartman, very catching way of writing. Hope to read many intriguing crash reports from you :black_eyed:.
/Tomas

Was up in the UK Lakes a couple of weeks ago and managed to apply a couple of examples of rank stupidity having had a good run since maiden flight up 'til then. Given the ongoing uncertainties around multi rotor AP flying I decided to make telemetry a top priority.... no flying without a black box to sit down and study in the event of a ditching.

So I front-up at the cricket club, chat to the groundsman who happens to have been a one time BBC cameraman and was keen to see the latest semi-autonomous filming platform.

I did all the pre-flight checks (the list is self-expanding), had my friend Tim alongside, new to this type of voyeurism and completely unfamiliar with what a normal flight should look like. He had his iPhone on video and the modest but rugged as hell Canon G11 was my onboard video and gimbal ballast.

In transition (that fretful moment between take-off and catastrophe or hover ha ha ) I sensed something was wrong with pitch. Not enough to abort so I flipped the TH forward a blip and up she came...

TO BE CONT'd

Only joking, but recognition of how much bloody fun it is reading about someone else's crash - I've done it myself ha ha...

WAIT FOR IT...

She hopped cleanly up to about 3 metres with a marked FWD tilt and rapidly accelerated to...

Now for those of you who don't believe in telemetry here's the beauty of it. I KNEW right then and there that things had gone tits up but there was a smug part of me (no doubt in the reptilian part of the grey matter) that said - don't worry its being logged - you'll learn from this. It'll be something dastardly complicated that only deep telemetry analysis can divulge.

Meanwhile my friend Tim who'd never seen a multi rotor shrieked with impulsive wonder exclaiming "Wow that's cool". This really through me and resulted in some serious stick wobblies which didn't help at all. I nearly cracked up larfing too...

I by this time had the elevator stick fully backed but this was barely slowing her down. She was heading (real fast) towards some ruminating sheep on a tussocked hilltop some 180m away. I decided that prior to loosing sight of her I'd have to put her down so back on the throttle whilst maintaining full rearward stick and bang in she went. Fortunately the fabled stoicism of Hardwick sheep meant that none of them moved an inch - they carried on chewing the cud.

The humiliation of walking past the groundsman with 3 limp booms was bad enough but it didn't match the galling feeling of having missed something fundamental.

Of course I leaped to the inevitable false premise - bloody firmware I thought knowing that I was going to have to be coolly analytical about this and that the telemetry data would hold the answer.

We had two good videos, the G11 survived its second ditching (whereas the gimbal didn't) and we could hear the combination of adulation followed by consternation on Tim's take-off vid soundtrack.

The Wookong-M was getting all the stick inputs. The GPS signal was good (although I was in ATTI mode). The batts and power system were fine. The Tx and Rx signals and Voltages were fine.

• was pulling 160Amps
Looking at the telemetry logs indicated that there was no problem with the radio or Wookong-M.

Now there is someone on this forum that knows the answer so hopefully he'll keep quiet.

Now thats the British humour I remember from my student days in Manchester!!!

TO BE CONT'd

WAIT FOR IT...

• was pulling 160Amps

Come on this is 50 shades of grey, wheres the video? :)

RotorTalk

No Longer Active
The answer...

Thanks for being patient guys,

Two of you were very close...

OK so on my AD-8 forward is between booms 1 and 2 with 1 being the right-hand front boom of two and which runs Anti-clockwise...

I'd recently bust a few props, grabbed some spares and labelled one of them wrongly (I label mine 1 to 8 whereas I now think its better to just label then CW or AC - unless balance is a major consideration).

So when I fitted a mis-labelled prop to the AD-8 HL it ended up on Boom No. 1.

It should have been an anti-clockwise prop but was clockwise hence why the revs went way up on the adjoining motors which were trying to compensate for its down thrust.

TELEMETRY? well yes it worked 'cos it forced me back to looking at the basics given that it eliminated pretty much everything else. Next time I should look at the basics first right?

Anything else positive out of this? Well maybe... all the time spent fixing her meant that I missed out on Wookong-M Firmware Version 5.12 ha ha.

James

Last edited by a moderator: