Dji datalink

VINHEX

Gutted I've got a £160 door stop at the moment! Come on where's my new one lol going to rain tomorrow

Last edited by a moderator:

Dreamweaver

You should have emailed the ID and followed up with the dealer before getting it...if you didn't want to wait.

I had my new S/N before the UPS guy came :)

buddyrama

decreased flight time with data link

Has anyone noticed a decrease in flight time while using the data link attached. I have the 900mhz 5 waypoint system. I noticed i'm loosing about 1/3 flight time when the data link is on. Anyone else?

m

Kilby

I have confirmed that my data link is connecting, and all appears to be working as expected, but I still haven't used any waypoints yet. Can someone give a run down of their work flow when using the single way point system? I know that I have to have the craft connected and hovering at least 5 feet off the ground before I can engage click and go, but I'm not to sure what else I should be looking for.

Anyone care to share their workflow for this?

Buddyrama, I haven't noticed anything like that, but now that you mention it, I'll look closer for decreased flight time.

-Terry

Dreamweaver

My Workflow:

1) Turn on Laptop, Turn on TX, plug in quad....open GCS.
2) CONNECT to quad.
3) Check elevation is close.
4) Autotakeoff to hover.
5) Move thottle on TX to 55%.
6) Select instrument board, flytrace & CNG from menu.
7) Enter CNG mode.
8) Type in elevation for flight and adjust speed.
9) Set Home point.
10) Adjust map to that i can see flight area with a little 3D view then mouse of terrain to confirm elevation ok.
11) Hold SPACEBAR and click on map and enjoy the military grade technology at work.
12) Watch TX countdown and start to bring it back at halfway (4:30 min w/ 2950s).
13) Watch the live voltage to confirm TX countdown.
14) At 1:00 or amber flashes hit GOHOME if close....take over via ATTI if further away or red flashes..
15) Change batt and repeat :)

~Mike

PS - Think i lost about 1:00 min with 900 kit.

Kilby

Thanks, Mike. Just curious though, what's the story with the spacebar in step 11? Do you have to hold down the spacebar in order to select a new waypoint on the map, like a type of safeguard or something?

-Terry

Dreamweaver

Thanks, Mike. Just curious though, what's the story with the spacebar in step 11? Do you have to hold down the spacebar in order to select a new waypoint on the map, like a type of safeguard or something?

-Terry

Exactly...just hold spacebar when you click...it wont accept it otherwise.

Dreamweaver

Oh yeah...there doesn't appear to be any playback/record options...so you'll have to just do a PRT SCN and copy it to paint if you want a copy of the flight.

Was gonna try some screen record programs when i get a chance to do the PIP of the GCS for the flight videos.

Kilby

Ok, so I took it out yesterday after work and had some success, but still not 100% there.

I was able to get all the up to the point where I select a new way point to fly to, but for some reason it wouldn't let me drop a pin on the map. I took it home and ran the simulator at the house during the night. I had a little more luck with that, but I still noticed that I could get myself into a situation where i appear to be in CNG, but it won't let me do anything like select a waypoint.

Any idea what I'm doing wrong? I was thinking that I might be getting stuck in keyboard mode or something, but I can see that CNG is clearly selected... at least it seems that way.

-Terry

Dreamweaver

I presume you chose CNG from the menu and a box popped up.

Did you then click the bar in the box that says "Enter CNG mode"?

Before you do...you need to be in GPS mode, in hover and TX throttle above 50%.

Once you enter the CNG mode the elevation and speed become available to modify.

Then just hold the spacebar and click the map and a star will appear and the quad will flight off.

~Mike

Kilby

I must have missed a step somewhere. I'll have to give it another go tonight. The problem seemed to pop up after I was already in CNG, but then stepped out of it and tried to go back into it.

I'll get it sorted and let you know what I find. It's great to be able to practice on the simulator, but it freaked me out last night cause I got the craft stuck 180 meters in the air and couldn't get it back down.. glad that didn't happen in real life!

-Terry

Kilby

Nice video!

I have another question for you. What's the "speed" input that it asks for when setting a waypoint? What unit of measurement is that supposed to be? I don't see anything about it in the manual.

Dreamweaver

Nice video!

I have another question for you. What's the "speed" input that it asks for when setting a waypoint? What unit of measurement is that supposed to be? I don't see anything about it in the manual.

I believe it's meters per second...default is 4 but seems too slow for 'long' distance that video was taken with 8...tried 10 once and i think it's limited to 25 in ACE but dunno about WKM....you can try first ;-)

Aviator

I believe it's meters per second...default is 4 but seems too slow for 'long' distance that video was taken with 8...tried 10 once and i think it's limited to 25 in ACE but dunno about WKM....you can try first ;-)
I usually use 8? on the WKM and yes it is in meters per second

Kilby

Ok, I made some progress tonight. First off, I figured out why I was having problems yesterday. I'm using a new netbook for the GCS, and I guess DJI didn't think about that when they developed the software. Every time I try to open something that has an extra window (Click and Go mode, Set Home etc), the window was opening off the screen all the way at the bottom. I have to drag it up into the viewable area and then I can use the controls.

That issue aside, I was able to go out to the field today and engage CNG while flying the copter around the baseball diamond solely with the GCS. It felt good, except for one small problem. Every time I issue a new waypoint, it starts to wobble/rock back and forth real bad when it gets started on it's way. If the next waypoint is far enough away, it will eventually stop while in route, but if they are close it does it pretty much the entire way. I've got a video uploading now showing what I'm talking about. It never fell out of the sky, but it sure scared the hell out of me the first time it did it!

Any ideas what that could be? I'll post the video shortly.

Kilby

Kentjjl, that looked pretty cool actually... I might have to try that speed once I get everything sorted!

Here is the video I mentioned. You can see that it goes through auto-takeoff and hovers for a few seconds before leaving for the first waypoint. When it leaves hover it starts rocking real bad. The onboard video is actually makes it look better since it was on a gimbal, so keep that in mind. You can see when it leaves the 2nd waypoint and moves on toward the third, it yaws around about 180 degrees first and it's as steady as can be, but then as soon as it starts with forward flight, the rocking comes back.

Could my mounting settings have anything to do with this, or possibly the autolevel gains?