Mikrokopter MK or DJI....

3dheliguy

Yeah, Those were my thoughts. Im excited to fly them just not so excited at the cost so much, and Im sure I will have my initial pucker effect lifting her off the ground. I dont know how you guys so this if not for the money this gets expensive in a hurry... And for you newbies, well dont be so excited to fly these things they are big piles of money in the Air. The only thing that is nice is they dont take long at all to repair making them alot more versatile.

As for the Zenmuse, well I know they have the best gimbal, but there is not much work out there for just a NEX7 my friend. I do hope in the future that sony can make an even better camera similar to the Pj710v and the Mk3 even tho they are completely different cameras they would be amazing if they had some of each others system. Atleast for us Aerial guys.

DennyR

i agree, if you can fly SRH's as well as you say, you dont really have a lot to get used to other than orientation and the ins/outs of the software. Just go for the money maker and start flying it. Although it is nice to have a beater just for fun. You fly $1000 a lot differently than $10,000.

Denny, again, you are comparing apples and oranges. the Hoverfly stuff works very well for me and others, so why bash it to defend the likes of your Zenmuse...which is a band-aid for all the heli's flight instabilities. Wasn't it you that was just stating how the really good shots come from flying, not the gimbal and how having it too locked down and perfect just doesnt feel right? regardless, it's true, the best looking shots are smooth but also bank and turn like you are flying. I own thw WKM and NAza and they have been pretty good. But I have had more erratic behaviors from these two controllers than I have from the Hoverfly. Yaw twitches, random GPS toilet bowling, gain conflicts flying from area to area...It does fly very well when tuned right and i think on one level it is nice having more to tune. But somehow the Hoverfly has a very simple way of getting the same results and it doesnt go haywire in gusty winds like the WKM does. And as far as manual flying goes, at least in my own experience, the WKM was a nightmare in manual. the only crash we had was when the WKM went into manual mode. maybe it wasnt set up right but let me say that the Hoverfly in manual is absolutely unbeatable. it flies like a perfectly tuned SRH without the aggressiveness.

Yuri
I think you missed the point about "the model creates the movement" In this video by mitmit he clearly shows that he understands the right way to use a stabilised gimbal. Dimitri is making very slow and subtle camera moves that are hardly noticeable. The camera is taken on a journey to reveal backdrops through the clever use of the foreground movement (The reveal shot.) You hardly notice any pan movement. This is why I have to laugh when I see all this stuff about 360 deg pan movements as being essential. (That is called hose piping.). The camera angle is almost the same throughout. The foreground moves but the background is locked in tight. As soon as you hit the pan axis the whole thing falls apart. Less stick = more https://vimeo.com/41325987

Last edited by a moderator:

3dheliguy

Yeah liked the video the music was well how do I put this...not really exciting. I always like to think of aerial stuff, as being more exciting.

3dheliguy

Also you are very correct im the way you need to move the copter for the camera. Thats why I see really top notch pilots from F3C events being used in the aerial photography world and studios getting the most work. For those who don't know what F3C is plz go to YouTube and check this out. This is a highly respected competitive event for pilots looking to master the art of hovering, but while moving the helicopter from location to location... This also looks very boring to watch, but I assure you that this by far is one of the hardest techniques to master... It requires the pilot to maintain absolute control from the time of lift off to ascending to descending, while performing very slow pirouetting and hovering within the spot of quarter on the ground.

3d heliciotering is more of a ballet, with a creative flair and impressive low altitude control, But F3C is the art of control. I have practiced these maneuvers for the fun of it and all I can say is man those guys are good, I guess that's why only 1 percent of the top 3D pilots in the world can compete and place in the F3C competitions.

You guys should check it out, and if you know someone that good, you are a fool not to have them fly your rigs. Those guys can make your gimbal absolute lol.

DennyR

Yeah liked the video the music was well how do I put this...not really exciting. I always like to think of aerial stuff, as being more exciting.

The subject matter is not the point. it is the technique that is important to understand. Fast movements, particularly in the pan axis, create motion blur and strobing artifacts. When you get to work with a director of aerial filming you may find that what you see as being great may not cut the mustard.

3dheliguy

Yes, I'm agreeing with you, you are 100 percent correct. Such as fast panning is totally useless because it creates motion blur that's why the more control of the copter with a locked in position on the or subject matter is the best way to utilize a pan kit not actually pan for subject, but to lock in position or hold and position through the crafts flight creating a cinematic shot where the imagery is subject is locked in position while flying past or away creating a reveal shot as you would say.

DennyR

The general idea is to use as few stick inputs as possible to the gimbal and use the model to create the movement. Forward looking motion is good. The rotational is also good keeping a fixed point in the center. Sideways tracking is only good if done very slowly or when following a moving target. Never pan on the outside of a turn etc. The number one mistake.

Last edited by a moderator:

3dheliguy

Well Guys, Thank you very much for all your help, And my local Costa Mesa Shop Aerial Media Pros for getting my first big Rig on the way. It has been a hair pulling experience but I have finally made the dive with as much info as I can stomach... So it looks like the DJI wins out for the time being, and it will interesting to see what this unit is capable of doing with some adjustment and experience.

Looks like this so far:
Cinestar 8
Cinestar 2 axis
Maytech ESCS 45 amp
Kopterworx KW8
Dji Wookong M.

Looking forward to just getting all the stuff in the kopter now, and see what she can do.

3dheliguy

If anybody can help me with the Exact place that sells a heat sink perfectly sized for the Maytech ESC system plz throw it up here. I will be looking for that next, as I will not leave heating issues to chance with this kind of endeavor.