New toy for us camera geeks

nicwilke

I saw this, and got excited, but then saw the frame rate at 1080p is HALF of the NEX-5n (and 7 too I think). Oh well, I'll be keeping the NEX-5n for my video till Canon up the frame rate.

nicwilke

But, I'd rather send that up with my Canon Lenses than my Canon DSLR... Its good, perhaps FW will release higher framerates.

DennyR

I saw this, and got excited, but then saw the frame rate at 1080p is HALF of the NEX-5n (and 7 too I think). Oh well, I'll be keeping the NEX-5n for my video till Canon up the frame rate.

So you can upload it to vimeo at 720x25 fps..........and then have vimeo drop a few more frames to make it jump even more. You can shoot at 120 FPS with a GoPro but it wont improve what you see on Vimeo if its playing back at regular speed.. The data rate is more important. crap in crap out.

Last edited by a moderator:

nicwilke

So you can upload it to vimeo at 720x25 fps..........and then have vimeo drop a few more frames to make it jump even more. You can shoot at 120 FPS with a GoPro but it wont improve what you see on Vimeo if its playing back at regular speed.. The data rate is more important. crap in crap out.

I don't shoot for Vimeo only. I shoot mostly on a Canon XF100 and agree about data rate, but I need double frame rate to conform to standard for better slow motion and smoother effect. I find aerial video best shooting double frame rate incase I do need to conform it to 25fps (I'm PAL) and if not needed, then I just dump the extra frames when converting to ProRes 422. I'm simply just saying that it would be lovely if we could get this camera to record double frame rate at 1080p. Then I could use all my L series lenses with it. I'll take a look at this little gem when it's in my local camera store before completely skipping over it. Cheers.

jes1111

I'm still mystified that so many people seem to be looking towards stills cameras as their primary video capture device. ;)

As a stills camera this is very interesting.
"Canon says the EOS M's stills and video output will be identical to the EOS 650D/t4i"
As a full "EOS" device, rather than a "Powershot", that should mean that the USB connection will allow full remote control via the EOS Utility - if that's so then they got my money!

nicwilke

I'm still mystified that so many people seem to be looking towards stills cameras as their primary video capture device. ;)

As a stills camera this is very interesting.

As a full "EOS" device, rather than a "Powershot", that should mean that the USB connection will allow full remote control via the EOS Utility - if that's so then they got my money!

I'm not saying its not a good camera. It mystifies me how people use DSL'Rs for aerial photo/video when cameras like the NEX-5 and 7 and this new EOS M are here. Why carry a heavy camera when a smaller lighter one will do the similar trick? I'm not sure that a 'still' camera is, as there's probably not many cameras on the market anymore that dont shoot 1080p? If the camera shows promise, I'll be getting one so I can throw my lenses on it for both ground and aerial use. :tennis:

jes1111

And it's confirmed! From Canon's website:
SOFTWARE
Browsing & Printing: ImageBrowser EX
Image Processing: Digital Photo Professional
Other: PhotoStitch, EOS Utility (inc. Remote Capture), Picture Style Editor
VERY cool!

R_Lefebvre

Arducopter Developer
I'm not saying its not a good camera. It mystifies me how people use DSL'Rs for aerial photo/video when cameras like the NEX-5 and 7 and this new EOS M are here. Why carry a heavy camera when a smaller lighter one will do the similar trick?

Yes, exactly. I don't get it either. When I see the lengths that people go, especially for SRH's, to hang a 5D on the front...

To me it just seems like a bit of snobbery. "Well it's a DSLR. It's the best. If you want the best, gotta be a DSLR. My customers demand DSLR. DSLR, DSLR, DSLR."

jes1111

Lefebvre and nicwilke - not sure who is agreeing/disagreeing with whom here!

Stills and video - two completely different disciplines, each of which is conducted at many different "levels". One cannot dispute that each user/operator will have their own set of goals, standards and priorities - so let's not get into the "male jewellery" thing, eh? ;)

My mention of employing "stills cameras" for video was mostly prompted by the fact that the responses to this product launch have all been (except for mine) about its video capabilities. No mention of its primary raison d´être - it's a stills camera (that also shoots video)!

R_Lefebvre

Arducopter Developer
I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with any one person in particular. Just a bunch of ideas.

I have just found, that it seems to me there is a DLSR male-jewelery thing going on in a lot of AP applications. I agree with you. These mirrorless cam still performance is very competitive with DSLR's, yet they are vastly easier to fly with for a number of reasons. I don't understand the fixation on DSLR for stills.

Then likewise, I don't think DSLR video performance can compare to prosumer grade camcorders meant for the task. Yet, everybody is flying around with DLSR's shooting video. I just don't get it. The only advantage that the DSLR has over a camcorder is the sensor size, and thus ability to do shallow depth of field shots. But who's doing shallow depth of field stuff from the air? The majority of the time they're doing shots from far away.

I like this Canon. It just remains to be seen how it stacks up to the Sony's on value. I think the video performance of the Sony will be better, so how will the stills compare?

DennyR

I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with any one person in particular. Just a bunch of ideas.

I have just found, that it seems to me there is a DLSR male-jewelery thing going on in a lot of AP applications. I agree with you. These mirrorless cam still performance is very competitive with DSLR's, yet they are vastly easier to fly with for a number of reasons. I don't understand the fixation on DSLR for stills.

Then likewise, I don't think DSLR video performance can compare to prosumer grade camcorders meant for the task. Yet, everybody is flying around with DLSR's shooting video. I just don't get it. The only advantage that the DSLR has over a camcorder is the sensor size, and thus ability to do shallow depth of field shots. But who's doing shallow depth of field stuff from the air? The majority of the time they're doing shots from far away.

I like this Canon. It just remains to be seen how it stacks up to the Sony's on value. I think the video performance of the Sony will be better, so how will the stills compare?

Absolutely right, I doubt that one percent of the heavy lift machines out there will ever earn a penny with a high end camera. Directors just don't give that work to people without the track record.

R_Lefebvre

Arducopter Developer
Absolutely right, I doubt that one percent of the heavy lift machines out there will ever earn a penny with a high end camera. Directors just don't give that work to people without the track record.

And one of the biggest disadvantages of the DSLR is simply the fact that they are so heavy, and the gimbal is heavier, so you need more bats... it all adds up, and we end up with octos which don't have enough power/weight to survive a motor failure. So it crashes, preventing you from building a track record...

jes1111

Okay - so now that we've got the "male jewellery" and "lack of 1080-60P" thing out of our systems ;-) - perhaps I can reiterate the significant difference between this new Canon EOS-M and every other sub-DSLR camera on the market? It allows full remote control via its USB port. So, with a wi-fi link to a laptop or (Win/Mac) tablet running "EOS Utility", you have full control of the camera from the ground, including "live view" of what the camera is seeing, exposure compensation, etc.

For me, a stills photographer, that means it's the first time I'd consider something lighter than a Nikon or Canon DSLR, until now the only way to access that facility.

DennyR

Okay - so now that we've got the "male jewellery" and "lack of 1080-60P" thing out of our systems ;-) - perhaps I can reiterate the significant difference between this new Canon EOS-M and every other sub-DSLR camera on the market? It allows full remote control via its USB port. So, with a wi-fi link to a laptop or (Win/Mac) tablet running "EOS Utility", you have full control of the camera from the ground, including "live view" of what the camera is seeing, exposure compensation, etc.

For me, a stills photographer, that means it's the first time I'd consider something lighter than a Nikon or Canon DSLR, until now the only way to access that facility.

Jeremy This sounds very positive, Are you now poised to get one and give us a good review?

Stacky

In a decade the DSLR wont be the perceived "serious" camera. With the improvements in technology and screen display speed the need for a single reflex mirror system are now starting to be of less importance which is good for all of us, not just in terms of weight. Having the rear element of a lens closer to the image sensor on higher end cameras with all the advantages of interchangeable lenses will be nice.

R_Lefebvre

Arducopter Developer

Ok, now that sounds cool. So live view over wifi with no need for a video transmitter?

Only problem is... Wifi is 2.4GHz, same as my control system receiver. Can they co-exist on a single airframe? Or will the wifi link swamp the Rx?

DennyR

I think the way fwd. will be to have a lens and a sensor only, as the main capture device that will have various dockable back ends to suit whatever the requirements will be.

R_Lefebvre

Arducopter Developer
I think the way fwd. will be to have a lens and a sensor only, as the main capture device that will have various dockable back ends to suit whatever the requirements will be.

So... you're suggesting you'll just dock a smartphone on the back? Makes some sense. But still, it's pretty radical!