DJI WKM Octo problem with 5.12

Aviator

PLEASE POST HERE..
Myself and a dealer here in UK are actively dealing with DJI direct to solve the 5.12 Octo problems
ONLY OCTO USERS TO POST HERE PLEASE

I have just got off the phone to DJI engineers that have stayed on late to speak to me via a DJI translator
To try and resolve the issues myself and others are having with the 5.12 firmware update.
Please post here as much info as you can i.e like Serial Number of MC, Octo configuration, videos, reciever used and settings in throttle cut off
This information will then be relayed to DJI engineers until the problems can be solved..

tppeng

great to see this thread starting, I myself is also wondering why so many people having problem with their octo in 5.12, as stated in the [poll] thread not a while ago I find 5.12 no problem on my octo.

to get this started, I have:

Droidworx AD8-HLE in V layout,
Avroto 2814-11S 770kv with Maytech 45A OPTO (Nimh LVC setting); Batteries are two Thunder Power G6 4s 45C 5000mAh
WKM was purchased December 2011.
Gain settings are:

180-180-130-150 (still increasing my basics as it hasn't got to the highest yet)
80-80 (I see this as more of an "expo" function, such that lower than 100 softens maneuver, and vice-verse)

Transmitter is Futaba 18MZ
Receiver is R6203SB

Utilizing s.bus on my setting, and my X3-Fail safe switch is disabled because I can achieve it with mixing.
X3 for remote gain control, X2 for IOC, IOC set at Control 3.

Ground tested with props on full throttle shows no cutoff, Flight test with dummy weight AUW 5.3kg, about 9 mins and change, landed with 40% left in battery.
POI works but slightly drift (maybe due to solar activities during the weekend), RTH works the same as in 5.08.

Let's get this thread started to make WKM a better product!

MaNDoWn

Registered MR Crasher
Remember that day you was thinking of what tx radio you wanted to buy...
Who would've thought...

snurre

My contribution:
I have old version WKM MC, purchased December 2011, hardware ID 50114880

ESC Castle Creations Phoenix ICE50, fw4.01 for Multi rotors, outrunner mode. ESC mounted under motors.
Motors AXI 2814/22
Voltage 4S
Data Radio 2,4GHz Single Waypoint
Transmitter: Spektrum DX-18
Receiver: Spektrum AR9020 DSMX + X-Plus Expansion (for 18channel use)
Spectrum telemetry module installed

Configuration:
Octocopter flat, "I"
Cut Off Type: Intelligent
Enhanced fail safe methods: Alt Go-H (30m), Go-Home switch enabled
Intelligent Orientation Control: Control 3

During initial configuration of 5.12 I experienced CFG-ERR indication in the Assistant SW (1.30), but after having gone through all the tabs and clicked "Write", and re-cycled the power - then only normal indications.

ISSUE: Motors 7 & 8 twitches - very short (probably less 1/10 second) periodical power bursts, see the videos linked.
I did not attempt to fly with 5.12.
FW 5.08 worked fine, no anomalies.

Two videos on Youtube. The periodical beeps has got nothing to do with the issue, it is just the CC ESC "power on" beeps - they are normal.

Images from CC ESC internal data log, ESC 7, RPM plots at 2 and 10 samples/second:
View attachment 5236View attachment 5237
The sample rate is too slow to capture the pwm glitches from MC, but you can see the resulting RPM movements.
/ Tomas

Attachments

• ESC7_CC_fw5.12_pic2.jpg
    ESC7_CC_fw5.12_pic2.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 248
  • ESC7_CC_dataLog_fw5.12.jpg
    ESC7_CC_dataLog_fw5.12.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 258
Last edited by a moderator:

Aviator

Thanks to everyone so far... I have just noticed that DJI has announced that they have found a problem with Octo and Traditional receiver "again" I will see if I can speak to them tomorrow, and see what the issue was? and if they still require this information?

MaNDoWn

Registered MR Crasher
I already shared all this with DJI but I will share here too in hopes it may help someone?

ESC:
Exceed-rc Proton 60A

Motors: OS Engines OSMG9530 750kv 590W brushless motors
Voltage: 4 - 4S 5000mAh
Transmitter: JR 9303 2.4 Spektrum DSM
Receiver: JR R921 with Satellite

Octocopter Configuration:
Octocopter flat, "I"
Cut Off Type: Intelligent
Enhanced fail safe methods: Go-H (20m), Go-Home switch enabled
IOC and POI: Aux4

MaNDoWn

Registered MR Crasher
NEW FIRMWARE 5.12a TO BE RELEASED TOMORROW

Looks like DJI will be releasing a new F.12a firmware tomorrow.

snurre

Aviator - is that DJI announcment publicly available? Could you post a link, please?

What I find when visiting DJI homepage is an invitation to upgrade to 5.12, nothing about problems found.

IMHO, as soon as a reasonable doubt surfaces, implying risk of severe consequences, a clear warning should be issued as a heads up to users visiting site for latest info (all users don´t hang around the forums 24h).
It is unfortunate that while DJI engineer trouble shooting is in full action, un-informed octa users are allowed to pop by, upgrade, and then maybe run into the problems we have observed. I mean, that would be a pity since it could easily be avoided by a prompt publishing from DJI.
I understand issuing warnings might hurt their pride (loose face), but to keep distribute suspectedly faulty firmware (no warnings) ends up with an even bigger PR loss.
/ Tomas

DJI is hiding serious problems since 5.0.2. I tried to talk with them about this and they played stupid. I posted a few potentially very dangerous bugs on the forum. They never fixed anything. Sooner or later this bad attitude with customers will come back and blow in their face.

My guess is that the original developer is gone, and they have no clue about big parts of the code they have.

Aviator

Aviator - is that DJI announcment publicly available? Could you post a link, please?

What I find when visiting DJI homepage is an invitation to upgrade to 5.12, nothing about problems found.

IMHO, as soon as a reasonable doubt surfaces, implying risk of severe consequences, a clear warning should be issued as a heads up to users visiting site for latest info (all users don´t hang around the forums 24h).
It is unfortunate that while DJI engineer trouble shooting is in full action, un-informed octa users are allowed to pop by, upgrade, and then maybe run into the problems we have observed. I mean, that would be a pity since it could easily be avoided by a prompt publishing from DJI.
I understand issuing warnings might hurt their pride (loose face), but to keep distribute suspectedly faulty firmware (no warnings) ends up with an even bigger PR loss.
/ Tomas
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost.php?p=22197853&postcount=14237

Hi guys,

I,m an Octo user and just checking that there are no reliability issues with the 5.08 version of the software. Heres my dilemma I'm setting up another new octo with a brand new wkm and want to start my testing procedures as it's not flown yet. Should I wait for the new 5.12a firmware or am I safe to fly with the 5.08 version ? It seems that the 5.10 and 5.12 options are NOT safe to fly an Octo setup with normal reciever yet ?

Thanks

Matt

Aviator

Hi guys,

I,m an Octo user and just checking that there are no reliability issues with the 5.08 version of the software. Heres my dilemma I'm setting up another new octo with a brand new wkm and want to start my testing procedures as it's not flown yet. Should I wait for the new 5.12a firmware or am I safe to fly with the 5.08 version ? It seems that the 5.10 and 5.12 options are NOT safe to fly an Octo setup with normal reciever yet ?

Thanks

Matt
As far asI am concerned you are safe to fly on 5.08, I am at the moment until the new firmware is released. I expect to retune all gains though after upgrading?

MaNDoWn

Registered MR Crasher
Hi guys,

Thanks

Matt

I would also say you're safe on 5.08.
I personally would stay the hell away from 5.12 as it's putting birds in the dirt and sea!
I would let others test 5.12a before I would install it on my Octocopter.
BEST OF LUCK MATT

Thanks chaps,

I can say now that 5.08 firmware has successfully been updated and my beautiful new octo is up and awesome so just dialling it in, so thanks for the assurances

Matt

snurre

So now the fix is released - 5.12a Beta
And DJI added a red text note about end users feeback. Unfortunately it does not clearly state that if you are using traditional receiver on an octa then you SHOULD use 5.12a Beta instead of 5.12. On has to read the change history document to figure that out, I hope people do that...

The release history states:
What is changed (refers to 5.12):
- Fix the M7 and M8 spinning up problem of octocopter with traditional receiver.
- Improve the gimbal control performance by reducing the gimbal irregular shaking, so as to make gimbal movement smoother.

So it might be worth noticing that while the spin up problem has been recognized and fixed, they do not mention the in-air shut-down or flip problems that some users experienced. I suppose the latter is not yet fully investigated and conclusions remains to be made. This leaves me slightly uneasy...

View attachment 5266

I had the spin up problem.
Do I dare to try the 5.12?
Yes I do. But I will be on my toes... :)
/ Tomas

Dammit!
I downloaded Assistant software 1.30a and installed (1.30 deleted).
Connecting to the WKM MC - and I cannot get it to upgrade to 5.12a, process stops at "Autentication":
View attachment 5267
WTF? :dejection: :upset:

Attachments

• 5.12aRelease_downloadPage.jpg
    5.12aRelease_downloadPage.jpg
    12.5 KB · Views: 376
  • versionsDoNotMatch.jpg
    versionsDoNotMatch.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 187
Last edited by a moderator:

I agree, whats up DJI ? Clearly there seemed to be an issue with the power shutting down but there is just no mention of this being fixed ? I personally find this so unprofessional from DJI are they expecting the end users to guinea pig this new software for them ?

DJI to keep confidence in your products YOU HAVE TO BE MORE TRANSPARENT. I don,t think I'd be too wrong in saying you are killing the end users trust in your product !

End users, investments/money reputation and peoples general health and safety, are all at risk when you don,t let us know EXACTLY what is going on with your product. Is it really going to take someone getting seriously injured a court case AND disaster for all of us until you learn this lesson ?

Wake up DJI !!!

Aviator

It seems that everyone is waiting for someone else to try the new firmware after their last experience? If I had a cheap Octo I would happily try it? but dont think there is such a thing as a cheap Octo?