DJI new WKm vs old WKm youtube video

Why is this lame they have worked out the problem of the S800 crashes. Hardly lame, I think it show diligence, not to mention they will replace all s800 damaged.

"July 6, 2012

In light of the current events involving S-800 crash and higher ESC temperature, our engineering team has been searching for cause and solution relentlessly.
It has now determined the higher than normal ESC temperature is not the root cause of the incidents. Due to the S-800 design of removal motor arms compound by the longer motor wires and distribution board is causing M1 (motor 1) in the master controller manufactured before January 31, 2012 to fail intermittently. However, they do not affect the use of other airframes using traditional ESC placement. Please note, WKM MCs manufactured after February 1, 2012 does not have the problem.
We are in the process of a voluntary replacement of WKM MC manufactured before January 31 to all S-800 owners. The replacement units will arrive to your dealer where you purchased the S-800. Please send the original MC back to your dealer when you receive the replacement.
To ensure the MC is manufactured before February 2012, an instruction is attached for easy verification.
Customers purchased S-800 during pre-order period will be contacted by DJI for direct MC replacement. However, they can also contact our dealers if preferred. This program will last for 60 days from today.
Customers experiencing high ESC temperature should follow the modification we announced earlier or request replacement ESCs from your dealers or contact DJI directly using S800@DJI-innovations.com email address.
We offer our new OSD transmitter to all S-800 owners affected by this. Also S-800 crash before today will be replaced free of charge (freight prepaid). Our apologies to all S-800 owners affected. "

Ok then... all FC sold before February 2012 have a flaw but DJI promises that your non S800 system is ok. Just use 'traditional' esc placement and you will be fine.

Sorry but in my book this is lame.

Last edited by a moderator:

I may be very wrong, but my interpretation of what was posted and what's been said in other forums is that all wkm's are fine except for the S800's because of the longer wires on the ESC they use versus the voltage that is being put out by the wkm. If you're using S800 Esc's on another frame, then you would have this problem also. Hence, this a problem with S800 solely and not wkm's in general.

If I am incorrect, please let me know :)

Knilch

Hm, on my octo the ESC are out on the arms near the motors, too and my unit arrived here in December 2011. What now?

From my understanding as long as it's not a dji esc it shouldn't be a problem. I'm just waiting for them to confirm this on RCG. I dislike the vagueness with DJI at the moment.

DennyR

I have the early WKM and the late one and Both have worked fine for me. I did not even try the S800 on the standard ESC's due to all of the hype. this was a mistake on my part as it may have been fine given that the WKM supplied with it was a late version WKM. I wish that they had been clear on that point before issuing the modification instructions to the ESC's. I only read about this after seeing the post from SidneyW on another forum. It would have saved a days work. Another PR black mark. In the case of DJI Busy is not a good thing.

Last edited by a moderator:

Digitech

a well.
you woundt be spuprised if i tell you that people also call now about the naza,s :).
i agree there could be better communication , we as dealers mostly have to read it also from forums.
and afterwards get a email.

snurre

So, are the WKM ESC and MC issues interrelated?
(I am using CC PhoenixICE50, mounted under the motors...)

Bill, I am interested in what info you can share on this.
/ Tomas