SJ8 with DJI & Catle Creation controllers!

CineRebel

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if anyone has any experience with this setup or something similar??

SKYJIB 8
WKM
Plettenber 15/20
caste creation Phoenix Ice controllers

thanx

CineRebel

hmmm,, OK..

I'm going back to the old Hobbywing Controllers! they have been the best I have seen so far!

Thanks Sandor.

Digitech

those we have in our cleaning up look in our clean up corner 10 euro,s a piece.

they are the ones you used they work fine but tghey need some work.
since they are hand soldered fets on them the cooling block dont touch everywhere.
and we didnt have the time to straiten them out.
so we got oem versions made for us.
and we got a box full left of the "older"ones.
but yes they work from anything 2814 up to 4120 and between...
for a octo thats 80,- for a powerboard :)

CineRebel

Which one's do you mean??

I didn't see any controllers in your cleanup corner!

I am putting back my HW platinum 40A esc. which I had very good results with. I changed them because they got a little hot (50-60 C degree). I am monitor the temps. in the coming week with a sensor and if they get too high I will go for the 60A or 70A version in aluminum casing. I saw you carry the same controllers but rebranded.

cheers

Digitech

then what is the use using castle creations if you need to reflash them?.

we use the OEM version now 70 amps hardware is the same , software is different and certainly is the price...
all made by one big factory called Hobbywing :livid:.
we pre program them directly to use in a dji setup
second best is that they are allready opto no cutting needed

jrlederer

Well I have used them with their own multirotor firmware! And they won't work!

Would anyone here care to please elaborate on the problem that people are having with Castle creations firmware on heavy lift multirotors? *I was one of the few who made the mistake of impulse-buying certain components based on what was later revealed to be false advertising. *The bottom line for me, here, is that thankfully I have not experienced component failure nor crashes as a result of using incorrectly spec'd devices in conjunction with one another, but that is only due to me procrastinating and putting off my build. *Never *before have I gotten a chance to benefit from procrastinating, but this exceptional circumstance arises from nothing other than *not wanting to be one of the examples that, till now, i have been fortunate enough to have learnt from. *

My question for those who've responded to this thread so far, and seem to know something that I don't, is what is the know-issue that exists when attempting to use Castle Creations speed controllers with large motors such as the Plettenberg series for use in heavy-lift *applications? *The reason I ask is because last time I checked for some workable solution which would, at least, make what components I do have usable in some reliable form, I was led to believe that the only good method would be to use the CC Ice 75A esc's with the larger motors and that would yield a good working setup. *I suppose it's possible that I just did not understand the things I read, because after reading this thread, it would appear to be that now this is known not to be a good solution, so once again I am glad that I've been slow to assemble this machine, else I may have found myself posting the resulting catastrophe as an example of what NOT to do! *

Someone, please fill me in on what I'm missing and possibly provide me with a workable solution. *I am becoming very frustrated, so I thank you in advance for any light you can shed on my situation.

Have a nice day to all!!

--Jonathan

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
Jonathan,

I haven't seen any thread or to many forum posts the CC ESCs have an issue.

If you do a forum "multi rotor " specific search in RCgroups you will find several user that are using them.

Think this payload test is positive:

Boris

Last edited by a moderator:

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
this ones one is from tkeeg. I think he is around in this forum ask him

Last edited by a moderator:

I am using the Castle Phoenix Ice 50 and Orbit 15-20 for some time now with no issues at all. I might dare and say that the Castle even outperform the other esc that I am using that are flashed with simonk firmware.

A few videos on youtube also show the use of the Castle esc and wkm successfully.

Please don't take this as an endorsement since these are expensive esc's but as of now there are no alternatives.

Knilch

Using Hobbywing FlyFun 60A opto on my octo with approximately 1,20m in diameter (never measured that, actually :D) and a lift off weight fully loaden (2 5S 8000, gimbal with Canon 5D) of around 10kg with Hacker motors and having perfect results in all aspects.

What I have read is that some Plettenberg motors (don't recall, which ones) peak out at over 80 amps when accelerating and that overloads most ESC (namely the old Hercules board which was reworked because of that). Maybe something to look after.