CS8 Wookong and Plettenberg motors and battery data, and build information

remyd

Boris,

I did some waypoint flying today and all went fantastic including a couple of 100m high ones - was terrified though!
I also tested 100% throttle climb along with a drop and catch type throttle test. Both registered 20 -21 amps maximum current draw using the 14x4.7 props. I am now very confident that under the Wookong operation i cannot exceed the amp of my ESC with the Orbit 15-22. Obviously other flight controllers allow more current to be pulled through these motors so one still needs to be cautious and ensure that the settings are with the limits of the ESC you are using.

Thanks again.

jrlederer

Remyd,
I know it's been a while since you posted this thread and the follow-ups to it, but i just wanted to take a moment to say thank you for such a well thought out and written-up review. I don't know how I missed this one as it pertains directly to me; I, too, got carried into the hype and bought a set of 10 Orbit 20-18's. The matter got more complicated because, before I had even finished the original build for which these motors were intended, the DP of the project I was building this for (which took place in Puerto Rico) expressed his concern that I should have a compete redundant setup just in the event that something should happen, so as not to delay the entire production due to a repair. Accordingly, (especially because it was part of the production budget and not out-of-pocket) I was instructed to go out and buy aither complete set of these motors for backup's sake. Now, I am the proud owner (shmuck) of nearly 20 of these beauties. I ended up recently purchasing 8 CC Ice 75's just to finally put these to use, so this thread inspires some confidence to that end.

Thqnk you again,
Jonathan

remyd

Hi Jonathon,
No worries glad it was of help. These motors will draw plenty of current but with your choice of ESC's you will be fine according to my tests but do check your Castle logs after short high speed bursts in ALL modes to reassure yourself. I never tested in manual mode which would draw considerably more current given the added performance :). Just for reassurance i have between 40-50 flights on this copter now with no problems (touch wood) but all have been very tame. I am about to build another in the next few months using KW10 (arrived a few days ago) and Castle 75's (also arrived) - jus trying to decide if i go with another CS8 frame or a clone i bought a while back. I will be keen to hear how you go with the ESC's. If you are using another controller other than the DJI be sure you understand how to limit current draw albeit i couldn't get above 70 at full throttle through a receiver on 5S. Goodluck!
Cheers,
Remy