balancing props

animau

How can i balance my dji f550 props without a blade balancer...
is there another way to do it...like a home made balancer..
tks!

skipper1

I've had the DuBro blade balancer for a while and thought it would be fun to try the Top Flight magnetic blade balancer to see if it was any easier. For the past few hours I've been balancing 3 blade props and for me, Top Flight is actually a little harder and it seems like the Dubro is more accurate.
One thing I noticed on the Top Flight is the cones would separate from the prop from picking it up to add tape, so I have been constantly fighting that while the DuBro with their design with the spring, always stayed nice and snug, less time.

skivvie

Just to throw in my $.02... I bought the top flight and found it to be useless. The cones it comes with weren't balanced and neither was the rod... Meaning it wasn't straight. It would settle into the same position alone, and with the cones on it would change and the cones would settle depending on how they were rotated on the shaft. So I'd put a blade on, find what I thought was a heavy side, then, hold the cones and shaft in place and rotate the blade 180 on the shaft axis to double check... And the results would be different every time. It drove me nuts. I tried balancing the cones with glue and hand bending the shaft.... Always different results. I should have returned it before putting the glue on the cones. I just ordered a du bro today to balance my s800 blades. Hope the QC is better on that thing.

mitsaras

Add my vote for the DuBro balancer... imho it's just not worth the effort to try a DIY balancer to save what? 10$? The DuBro is so versatile - make sure it's level before using, though.

skipper1

I was double checking the results of the Top Flite with the DuBro and I had different results. I know for a fact the DuBro is proven to be true and accurate. At least the magnets are good for something.

No way to make a good homemade one huh? How do you use a nail and sandpaper? lol.... I'm interested in this too.

I either use a large diameter nail or I have a thin metal bar that I support on two blocks of wood. Ideally the bar should be roughly the same size as the bore hole. I suspend the prop, follow the instructions for balancing (many youtube videos out there), and I lightly sand with fine sandpaper the heavy side. Having a balancer is probably easier and better, but this works for me :)