S800 Lifting Capacity Question

vislaw

I've got an interesting project that I'm trying to figure out whether flying one of our S800s would be feasible. The case involves the crash of a Navy Seahawk that struck transmission wires 180 feet above ground. The crew was flying at night using gen3 night vision goggles. I would like to fly a Canon 5D with a 9350EOS Astroscope in order to acquire footage representing the POV of the crew. The scene is actually pretty optimal in that it is out in the desert with no obstructions (other than the subject high-tension lines). I traveled there with the S800 last week to check out the scene (the TSA officials were quite curious when the case came through x-ray) and the flight itself will be pretty simple. We will use the DJI Ground Station to control the craft flying at night by positioning it close to the strike position and then we'll fly backwards with the camera pointing at the strike point. By reversing the footage and calibrating the speed it should be a good replication of the night vision view of the crew on the night in question.

My problem is that we've only been flying GH2s and I'm trying to figure out what the true lifting capcity of the S800 is and whether it is feasible to fly a 5D with the night vision setup. The Astroscope adapter weighs 646 grams, the 5D body is 816 g and the 50mm 1.8 lens is 130.4g. I've got an AV200 that we could rig on the S800 and it would add 590g. That's 2.18 Kg total. I see the specs for the S800 call for a load weight of up to 2.5Kg. Does that include the LiPo? I fly the MaxAmps 11000 6S and it's 1220g, which would put me over the specified load weight if you do add the battery to the equation.

Main thing is that I need to put together this project and it is way the hell out in bumf*ck so the portability of the S800 would be a big plus. If I have to go another route I'll suck it up and do so. Any suggestions, advice or ideas from you all will be most appreciated.

Tahoe Ed

I fly the stock kit with 2x6S 5000mAh lipos which are 1.8k and I am at 4.65k. If you add your 2.18k you will be at 6.83k which is below the 7k max for the S800.