Cinestar or AV200 - which is more stable?

JohnGore

Cinestar or AV200 - which is more stable?

Sorry if this has been discussed before. I have found a lot of opinions on sample videos, but not a lot of direct comparisons.

So far it seems that more pros use the cinestar than the av200, but the av200 is cheaper and has some improvements on the way soon too...

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
Both are getting more improvement. The Av 200 the skyline which is stuttering a little at the moment and the CS gimbal is getting its carvec stabilization. For the AV 200 there are also direct drive upgrade announced if those will come out to the CS i don't know.

John it really depends what you want to do if you want to film and consider using heavier camera gear Canon 5d heavy lens etc. I personally would go for the CS gimbal. I had both the Av 200 and the CS gimbal and i prefer the CS gimbal. If you only want to make stills than the Av 200 is more than enough for you and you have the advantage of less payload if i remember correctly the CS gimbal is heavier.

If you are going the canon 550 or Gh2 way i would recommend the Av 130. I had both the AV 200 and the Av 130 and the Av 130 is just more solid. It always seemed to me that the whole PH AV-design just works better in the smaller form factor like the av 130 is. Bigger cam with bigger lenses always has a flex on the tilt with the AV 200. The Av 130 with a GH2 gave a solid performance.

Boris

Boris

JohnGore

Both are getting more improvement. The Av 200 the skyline which is stuttering a little at the moment and the CS gimbal is getting its carvec stabilization. For the AV 200 there are also direct drive upgrade announced if those will come out to the CS i don't know.

John it really depends what you want to do if you want to film and consider using heavier camera gear Canon 5d heavy lens etc. I personally would go for the CS gimbal. I had both the Av 200 and the CS gimbal and i prefer the CS gimbal. If you only want to make stills than the Av 200 is more than enough for you and you have the advantage of less payload if i remember correctly the CS gimbal is heavier.

If you are going the canon 550 or Gh2 way i would recommend the Av 130. I had both the AV 200 and the Av 130 and the Av 130 is just more solid. It always seemed to me that the whole PH AV-design just works better in the smaller form factor like the av 130 is. Bigger cam with bigger lenses always has a flex on the tilt with the AV 200. The Av 130 with a GH2 gave a solid performance.

Boris

Boris

Thank you, this is some great info I have not found elsewhere. I will need to carry a 5D with L lenses. For now only shooting photos and 360 Virtual Tours, but in the future I want to be able to do video too.

If I was going photos only route (no video cam), then I would also look at the MK HiLander SLR2. Cheaper, lighter, and made my MK. Is this a strong solution for a 5D, or does it also flex?

tks very much.

arif2209

+1 for Boris.. i have CS gimbal and av200 both can do 360.. i still feel CS gimbal is the winner for me..
thanks to Boris for recommendation and advice..

JohnGore

Thanks arif2209. Could you maybe explain what it is that makes the Cinestar better for you? Is it more stable, stronger, etc?

The Cinestar is much heavier, and that is the only thing I am concerned about at this point. But I do have an Octa XL, so should be able to lift the Cinestar easily, but flight time will be reduced. Any idea what the difference in flight time may be? tks

arif2209

1. the main reason is vibration... i got almost .. close to no vibration at all... for av200 i spent more than 3 month just to isolate the vibration..
2. rigidity - no need to argue about CS gimbal.. for av200.. hmm..
3. landing gear - av200 cannot land at sandy area...
it is not i am against av200 but that is my personal view.. and i like the av200 battery tray though...

JohnGore

1. the main reason is vibration... i got almost .. close to no vibration at all... for av200 i spent more than 3 month just to isolate the vibration..
2. rigidity - no need to argue about CS gimbal.. for av200.. hmm..
3. landing gear - av200 cannot land at sandy area...
it is not i am against av200 but that is my personal view.. and i like the av200 battery tray though...

Tks for the input.
I will be using it on a MK OctaXL. Will the HiLander landing gear be good enough? (or will it also battle in sand... Im not sure I understand why it battles in sand...)

Im still trying to decide where to mount the batteries on the Octa. For now the plan is to mount the Cinestar 2 axis gimbal directly onto the MK Octa XL frame (not sure exactly how, but I think it would be better to mount it directly), then the batteries will need to go on top?

Any ideas / suggestions for mounting the batteries? On top or between the OctaXL frame and the Cinestar 2 axis gimbal?