Hoverfly Hoverfly setup questions

DennyR

i think we can all agree it's peculiar as hell!

would it be sufficient to plug each ESC/motor separately into a regular receiver and test it that way? that way he wouldn't have to disassemble anything.

@chris, if you do this, don't do it without a propeller on the motor and, therefore, be very careful spinning up motors with props inside or in close proximity to your person. :)

To do this test just unplug the ESC's and connect each one in turn to the servo tester. At the same time recheck your programing start point and timing etc.

Last edited by a moderator:

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
Given that this hobby is predominantly males and males are statistically more color blind than women, don't you think the color coded motor schedule should be changed? I had to ask my wife about the yellow/green as i wasn't sure. I know there is a pattern to the layout but it's just another thing that can be easily solved.

Photronix

Pilot
In response to dckiteboards:

First, if you ran 6 packs through it, didn't change anything, flew the next day and it flipped....its not the HFP. The foam on the barometer is really only precautionary because sunlight can generate free carriers and contribute to the noise or bias. The performance could be reduced if the light on the barometer internally is changing during flight (but its not a huge effect). If you are not in altitude hold mode then the barometer is not the problem.

I suspect that a switch was accidentally in the wrong position.

You should connect using the Setup Utility then power the transmitter then the aircraft and verify all of the switches. Activation is indicated by the check box.

We have thousands of customers and I personally have thousands of flights the HFP does not just act differently one day than it did the day before.

Other usual problems are motors and ESCs. If the motors are not aligned it can cause Yaw problems but not a flip. However, you can occasionally get moisture or sand in a motor and it will not provide adequate power. I usually hold the craft and rev the motors. I have literally pulled mine out of the water, let it dry for an hour and flown for the rest of the days shoot.

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
Chris, I'm going to guess that it's either those ESC's you got or the radio. You did mention that you had yaw issues on both radios even on the Xaircraft right? Maybe there is an erratic signal being produced by the tx?

At the same time, there is always that 1 in 1000. :)

went back to my faulty dx8 radio that i have to send in for repair and the flipping issue seems to be resolved. its weird that i can get such different results out of the radio. foam must of not helped, i tried doing a video a bit ago and this time the foam didnt matter. anyway i guess its good to have this stuff somewhat documented on here in case someone were to google HP flipping . theyll see that it wasnt the board it was my radio/alt hold etc..

now i need to overnight the DX8 to horizon hobby to get it fixed.

i tried recalibrating it per this video but it seem to made it worse