Hoverfly Hoverfly setup questions

Stacky

Bart,
I have the latest beta firmware running in a Hexa and a X8 at present and its flying beautifully. The reason there is a beta version is that the HF team made a couple of adjustments to help with an issue a few of us had with Futaba radios. The issue was simply a case of "calibrating" our futaba radios to fit the throttle end points in the HFP setup software. Here is the help article with respect to this problem https://hoverflytech.zendesk.com/en...-setup-your-throttle-range-on-the-hoverflypro

I may be wrong but I think that was the main reason a beta firmware came out for V4 firmware. I experienced a few problems with the throttle range and this solved that problem. I dont think users with radios other than Futaba experienced this minor problem.

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
Thanks Stacky. I actually saw in the setup client (Hoverclient, it'll catch on any day now) that my throttle was bouncing back to the middle when the stick reached either full up or full down. By advancing the throttle trim a bit I was able to get the throttle indication to match the stick although it still wants to go back to the middle when the stick reaches full up.

I wish they'd decouple the camera tilt so it can be moved very slowly with my radio slider yet still compensate at whatever speed has been determined with calibration and advance.

Stacky

HoverClient, i like it. Im going to use that from now on!. With the throttle adjustment are you doing both ends?. I will check it tomorrow but I remember I had to do both ends of the throttle end point and there was something extra i had to do when i tried it. I will get back to you, I know what you mean with the bouncing back thing.

You should drop a suggestion to HF re the camera tilt on their zendesk website. I dont know if its because of a suggestion of mine or if they were already doing it but I see they are now looking at having adjustable levels of AL. The good thing is they do listen and discuss suggestions.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bartman

I've done the standard ESC calibration with each individual ESC.

radio on, stick forward
apply power to ESC, wait for beeps,
stick back
wait for beeps
done

did I miss something?

alright so last night i ran 6 battery packs through my bird and it was running almost flawless. i was speechless how amazing this FC was. i went inside sat it on the kitchen table went out this am to fly and now at about 1/4 throttle three of the motors go full speed and flip it right over. i didnt touch or do anything since last night same attery packs and all. ??? i dont have to much time today to mess with it. but is the sunlight effecting it that bad ? i read about putting the foam on the board?

very strange.

well i just tried putting electrical tape and a small piece of memory foam over the hole and it actually worked. now this is nerve racking if this falls off in the sunlight i loose everything. is there a solution to this. ????

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
I glued a piece of foam carefully to the top of the sensor as to not get glue in the hole. but I am also thinking of checking out FRY's or radioShack and seeing if they have a plastic box that this will fit in.

Stacky

I doubt very much that the Altitude hold barometer sensor thingy is affecting this. My only suggestion at this point would be to take the props off and hook it up to the hoverclient (tm bart) software (setup software) and check everything on there. Check what your gain readings are for AL and also AH on and off. Check the sliders are all working as they should with respect to the stick movements. If you are on a Futaba you may want to check the throttle end points on the setup software as well.
I dont think you should be able to lift off with AH enabled so that to me would mostly eliminate that as a source of the problem.

You may need to reflash the firmware and do the setup process again. Sorry I cant think of anything else at this point, this is a problem I havent seen before.

alright so last night i ran 6 battery packs through my bird and it was running almost flawless. i was speechless how amazing this FC was. i went inside sat it on the kitchen table went out this am to fly and now at about 1/4 throttle three of the motors go full speed and flip it right over. i didnt touch or do anything since last night same attery packs and all. ??? i dont have to much time today to mess with it. but is the sunlight effecting it that bad ? i read about putting the foam on the board?

very strange.

Stacky

Niope that looks about right. After the second set of beeps which confirm the range has been set I tend to then increase the throttle and check that the motor is spinning faster as the throttle is increased, then I move on to the next esc.

I've done the standard ESC calibration with each individual ESC.

radio on, stick forward
apply power to ESC, wait for beeps,
stick back
wait for beeps
done

did I miss something?

Bartman

very strange.

Chris,

Is it possible you mistakenly had the altitude hold switch on?

The foam you used, can you blow air through it? Foam that allows you to blow air through it is called open cell foam and that is what you have to use over the pressure sensor hole.

Bart

PaNt

Guys you do the " all in one esc calibration" with hfp or you do it without the HFP

so anyone have any issues with sunlight with there hoverfly board i have the foam over it , was flying great for two flights this am then all the sudden the foam came loose and it flipped again. i tightend the foam back on it and it flies perfect again for three more packs.

this is crazy..

Bartman

i can only guess that you're flying around with altitude hold engaged and there are some strong air currents from the props whipping across the sensor. too bad you don't live closer to one of us so we could check and double check everything one more time.

DennyR

This just does not sound like a pressure sensor problem but a response throttle reaction due to the sudden change of pressure causing the motors to speed up faster than the ESC can cope with. Try running each motor separately from a servo tester and check to see if the motors operate smoothly when you snap open the throttle. If any of them spit the dummy then it is a problem with your motor, prop and ESC combination. Assuming that the Hoverfly board works OK.

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
Chris, make a video of flying with the foam and without. Sounds to me if you can repeat this experiment with the same results you have a theory. In the setup utility, does the AH box activate when you trigger from the radio? It would be nice to know if you at least have functionality.

Also, on my JR 9503, the left side of the gear numbers does not go negative, only the right by default. Just wanted to make sure you didnt over look this. I cant believe the DX8 doesnt have the ability to go negative on one side of the servo adjustments.

Bartman

This just does not sound like a pressure sensor problem but a response throttle reaction due to the sudden change of pressure causing the motors to speed up faster than the ESC can cope with. Try running each motor separately from a servo tester and check to see if the motors operate smoothly when you snap open the throttle. If any of them spit the dummy then it is a problem with your motor, prop and ESC combination. Assuming that the Hoverfly board works OK.

i think we can all agree it's peculiar as hell!

would it be sufficient to plug each ESC/motor separately into a regular receiver and test it that way? that way he wouldn't have to disassemble anything.

@chris, if you do this, don't do it without a propeller on the motor and, therefore, be very careful spinning up motors with props inside or in close proximity to your person. :)

Bartman

Chris, make a video of flying with the foam and without. Sounds to me if you can repeat this experiment with the same results you have a theory. In the setup utility, does the AH box activate when you trigger from the radio? It would be nice to know if you at least have functionality.

Also, on my JR 9503, the left side of the gear numbers does not go negative, only the right by default. Just wanted to make sure you didnt over look this. I cant believe the DX8 doesnt have the ability to go negative on one side of the servo adjustments.

it sounded from Al's reply that the negative isn't the switch but a 1 or 0 is which all the switches do have. three position switches are 0, 1, and 2 it seems since you can't have +, -, and - to differentiate between the three.

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
Good to know. I figured from the gain instructions that the only signal it was interested in was the +/- .

"when the Channel 5 or Primary Gain switch is in the negative position then the Auto-Leveling Mode is disabled and a
Primary Gain of 25 is used by the HoverCore™ algorithm. When the Primary Gain switch is in the positive position the Auto-Level Mode is
enabled and a Primary gain of 25 is used."