Coaxial vs. normal

Is there any study about efficiency of a coaxial versus normal engine configuration?

Does anyone knows if in coaxial configurations the lower propeller spins faster than upper propeller? because logically it should...

First, i'm not an aircraft engineer and i'm just guessing and asking for arguments.

Bartman, Well.. maybe because the lower propeller is in the very fast stream of air coming from the upper propeller? the lower propeller will spin in the airflow even the motor is not connected to power so it is definitely in another aerodynamic equation than the upper propeller.

and if the propellers have the same rmp, at least the lower propeller should have another pitch(angle of atack), right?... again, just guessing :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
mihnea,

i was just wondering what you had in mind to make that statement

there are a lot of discussions here and elsewhere about coaxial configurations. some will say they are 10% less efficient, some will say the lower props should be larger or smaller in diameter than the upper props. i don't know if anyone has hard evidence to support any of it. empirically speaking, coaxial heli's seem to be less effected by wind and I've found that by using higher p[itch props on the bottoms I get much more stable descents. i haven't studied any of this in a lab, they're just my casual observations during many flights using all sorts of combinations of things.

some have tried making the lowers turn faster and have said it helps a bit. i believe the moving airflow effectively reduces the real pitch of the lower blades going through the air so I run higher pitch props on the bottoms. like i said, i haven't seen substantial improvements in battery useage but i've found my heli's to be more stable as a result.

there are a lot of discussions about this if you do a search. be prepared to sit for a while and to do a lot of reading!

bart