Need advice for professional quality AP ship frame, multi-rotor beginner!

Hey guys,

Little about me, I'm currently working offshore with remotely operated vehicles (the Schilling UHD) or ROV's for short. It's really cool, but I'd rather be working for myself!

Looking to buy a decent multi-rotor AP ship. Originally, I thought single rotor, CP was the way to go when I got my TRex 450. I have learned allot about r/c with my TRex 450, but want to get into professional AP now. I've debated getting a larger CP heli/multi rotor.. And pretty much decided multi-rotor is the only way to go. I don't have tons of money to blow, so I would like to choose the right model from the start.

I am considering the ADX-4, DJI S800, and recently Bart's XY8. The DJI S800 looks like it has the best design and build quality. I really like how compact the ADX-4 is, but a little worried about lift capacity/stability on the X8 setup. I'll consider any model ideas/opinions.

Thanks in advance!
Nick

Last edited by a moderator:

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
Hi Nick,

you are giving to little info to really give you any advice. What cams do you want to take up. You need want way point flying. You want to take photo or film. Filming with super smooth footage or not to important etc.
Will you travel with the gear.

Boris

Well I haven't really decided on a camera yet.. I've heard allot of good things about the NEX 5N though. I mainly want to get video, but still shots would be nice too. Smooth filming would be preferred, but not really required. I probably won't jump into professional work right away... but I want a frame that will allow me to when/if the time comes.

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
Hey guys,

Little about me, I'm currently working offshore with remotely operated vehicles (the Schilling UHD) or ROV's for short. It's really cool, but I'd rather be working for myself!

Looking to buy a decent multi-rotor AP ship. Originally, I thought single rotor, CP was the way to go when I got my TRex 450. I have learned allot about r/c with my TRex 450, but want to get into professional AP now. I've debated getting a larger CP heli/multi rotor.. And pretty much decided multi-rotor is the only way to go. I don't have tons of money to blow, so I would like to choose the right model from the start.

I am considering the ADX-4, DJI S800, and recently Bart's XY8. The DJI S800 looks like it has the best design and build quality. I really like how compact the ADX-4 is, but a little worried about lift capacity/stability on the X8 setup. I'll consider any model ideas/opinions.

Thanks in advance!
Nick

thanks for the consideration NIck. The XY8 will be available in a modular format that will support beginner 4 motor quads utilizing the same center frame assembly (frame plates, boom mounts, dome, etc.) that will be used for the full blown 8 motor pro a/v set-ups. I'm in the process of vetting the Hoverfly Pro system so as to be able to recommend it for the the full range of heli's you'd fly as a beginner through advanced user. The goal is to allow the user to have one basic center frame assembly, one software interface, and one flight controller from the beginning. Everything else would be an evolution of the mechanical components which are very easy to reconfigure as your needs change. Having one flight control system from day one puts you in a better position later to be able to make meaningful tweaks to improve your media product and the flight qualities will become very familiar. It also gives you an entry point into multi-rotor helicopters that won't seem like a waste on something you won't be able to use later on.

The Naza is a very competent system though and you'd find it to be a worthwhile experience getting started with that also especially with the addition of GPS. There are a lot of options, as the owner of this site I feel obligated to not just pimp my own stuff.

Bart

I have read nothing but good things about the ADX-4 HL. But the S800 just looks like such a well design, with all the wiring built right into the frame for you, can't beat that. I plan to use DJI wookong flight controller, so I could get it cheaper in a bundle with the S800. I do like the idea of the coaxial 4 and more compact frame design, easier to transport. coaxial 4 looks pretty damn cool too, I just can't decide, I think it's between the ADX-4 HL and the S800. pretty big purchase for me, so just don't want any regrets. Anyone have either of these care to help me out a little?

Last edited by a moderator:

jrlederer

Hi there, just wanted to chime in and say hello, as well as welcome you to the owner's club once you make a decision as to which way to go. There is one point I'm gonna make, which is simply that with any purchase you make, it's nearly impossible not to having some regrets. I, and I'm sure most will agree, have never seen anyone not make a mistake while getting into this on a professional level. I, personally, have been into singl rotor helis for many years now, while into multirotors for about 3 solid years now. That being said, and taking into consideration that I spend a couple hours a day reading and researching all I can before making decisions, should have prevented me from falling into a trap with the Aerodrive 8 board(s) I recently purchased for my super-heavy lifter (at $1500 a pop) that turns out will not be safely appropriate in combination with the ridiculous motors I bought to match on recommendation of the dealers of my frame!! To be honest, I am only one of a handful of people here that fell for this marketing ploy. The point I'm trying to make here is that unless you budget for some inevitable mistakes, prepare to face some level of regret when trying to outfit yourself with gear that meets too many criteria (that become impossible, when trying to meet all simultaneously). Essentially, I guess it's safe to realize that I was one of the ones that wanted to have the best of everything and went with what was supposed to be the ultimate configuration, followed all the best advice I could find, watched every single video that exists on YouTube, etc... and STILL wasted a bunch of money. I wish you the best of luck I not becoming a statistic, so as sword if advice then maybe it's better not to scare you, but rather lend you my best words of advice so as to help you out along your way: don't buy anything that you haven't seen or heard directly from a non-affiliated user of the product of being airworthy and worthwhile. Sorry if this causes any hesitation in entering this hobby. Notwithstanding these setbacks, the reward in getting things right and having a good flying machine are enough to outweigh the negatives so the addiction endures!!

--Jonathan

hugh4g

I mentioned elsewhere that after lurking and working a bit with Gunter, I took delivery of a DJI F550 that he assembled for me... It is a pleasure to fly even for a complete newcomer... just give yourself a little experience with something like a Blade MQX... it gets the thumbs doing the right things...

Best and good luck

Hugh