Scary second level protection throttle cut

I have been doing a pile of test flying over the last few days trying to get my head around the gps issues down here in NZ. I thought I would take the time to sort out my low volatage warning a bit better too. I am running 2x 5s batteries, either a pair of 5500's or 8000's. I had my first level set @ 17.3v-.3LL-17, but it was coming on @ about 17.7V.I have calibrated this.
I dropped this down to 17-.3LL=16.7 and second level to 16-.3=15.7. The scary part is when I Flew to the second level in a low hover to check it out the throttle cut very quickly, and I did not have hover performance even with full throttle immediatly applied. The battery was far from cut, the lowest cell was @ 3.4V and total voltage was about 17.2V. I have tried again with both 5500 and 8000 MAH batt with the same results. The batteries are far from discharged, confirmed by both the voltage and the fact that say the 8000's only take about 7000 on the charger. No cells have shown less than 3.4V when checked.
This could cause a disaster if you were up high when the second level kick's in.

I have just gone to 5.06, perhaps this could be relevent?? Has anyone else had any issues with this and please use caution with the second level protection! I hate broken carbon fibre.
:upset:
Rick.

sharonx

I think since the second level gives such a major power drop, it is useless and yopu better try to do the best with whatever is levt in the batteries anyway.
Just keep track on the mAh and voltage (I use OSD for that) and you will do fine.

I put the second level way low, so it won't kick in.

Gunter

Draganflyer X4
I had the same problem...I've disabled the voltage protection until they sort it out!

Regards, Gunter
via the Samsung

swisser

It works perfectly for me. Once the yellow LED starts flashing I have a minimum of 60 seconds and a maximum of about 90 before red. This gives me a reasonable time to fly home and land. If it does start flashing red it will still hover, with an increasing amount of throttle, for about 30 seconds or so. It won't hover even at full throttle after that, but then it wouldn't regardless of what the WKM is doing, because there isn't enough energy in the Lipo to do it, so it's coming down whether I like it or not.

My only problem is when it's too far away to see the LED, in which case I am relying more on the timer and/or OSD.

I always upgrade to the latest firmware when it comes out and the above has been my experience all the way along.

I had the same problem...I've disabled the voltage protection until they sort it out!

Regards, Gunter
via the Samsung

Thanks Gunter, I will follow your lead. Just out of interest did it start playing up with 5.06 firmware? mine was fine with 5.02.

Rick.