First Multirotor Crash

homer911

Very sad day........My very first multirotor crash. But it was mainly my fault. The battery voltage dropped to 3.4 per cell and I lost orientation so I hit failsafe. It started to return SLOWLY!! I seen that the voltage was dropping rapidly so I tried to switch it back to ATT mode but it wouldn't switch over!! I'n not sure I have even tried the failsafe switch in flight before this event. BIG MISTAKE!! It worked fine in the assistant software and I have tested switching off the tx in flight and that worked fine. I should land a lot earlier to give buffer.

I quickly looked down at my telemetry before It dropped like a stone and I think it said 1V !!!!! Bummer. Dropped from about 15ft. It was painful to watch. I checked the battery voltage after and all cells read 3V or 3.1V. It puffed out as well. I take it I shouldn't use it again??

Mechanical damage - all gear rails of the landing gear need to be replaced. I was lucky!! It could have been a lot worse.

I had a look for some Droidworx spares on the Droidworx site, AU$ 12.50 each. €19.99 from an Irish website. Big difference. Is it possible to order direct from Droidworx?

Eoin

Agggh ! Sorry to hear about this Homer911.
I'd be inclined to write that battery off and never use it again.
Hope you get her back in the air soon !

homer911

If I switch back from failsafe to att mode should it return or is it designed to stay in failsafe? I thought it was the former!!

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
If I switch back from failsafe to att mode should it return or is it designed to stay in failsafe? I thought it was the former!!

Once you put it in failsafe mode you have to switch to manual mode to cancel it, then you can switch to ATTI mode, if you don't go to manual it stays in failsafe. I have ordered parts from Droidworx but I think you'll find the cost of shipping makes it more economical to buy locally.

Ken

homer911

Once you put it in failsafe mode you have to switch to manual mode to cancel it, then you can switch to ATTI mode, if you don't go to manual it stays in failsafe. I have ordered parts from Droidworx but I think you'll find the cost of shipping makes it more economical to buy locally.

Ken

Ah, what a f*#k up!! Its all my fault. Does it say this in the manual?

Steven

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
Ah, what a f*#k up!! Its all my fault. Does it say this in the manual?

Steven

I just looked in the latest version of the manual and it says on page 23 that switching to manual or ATTI mode will disenagage failsafe. I have never been able to get failsafe to disengage without going all the way to manual mode and then switching to ATTI. Unless this is something new in the latest version of the firmware it may be a mistake in the manual, it has never canceled failsafe RTH and returned control to the TX for me by just switching to ATTI but I haven't tried it in the last couple of firmware versions.

Switching to manual mode defintely cancels failsafe so if you go with that you'll be OK, just remember that the altitude may change quickly when switching to manual from ATTI or GPS/failsafe mode so be prepared to compensate.

Ken