450 flamewheel mods.

skypup

I made few mods to my 450. I wanted to raise the quad 4.5 inches and place the battery underneath. I needed to clear the top plate for gps. I also wanted extra room for a camera mount slung underneath. My final objective was a tail with high visibility for orientation. I was able to meet my objectives with a single piece of square carbon rod I found at the hobby shop and some 1/16" ply and some basswood. The rod was 5mmx3.2x1016mm (40 inches long). I'll be able to carry larger batteries and the battery mount/tail unit are removable to convert back to the original.

Attachments

• DSC_0017.jpg
    DSC_0017.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 233
  • DSC_0019.jpg
    DSC_0019.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 267
  • DSC_0008.jpg
    DSC_0008.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 262
  • DSC_0009.jpg
    DSC_0009.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 235

tstrike

pendejo grande
Does the tail act like a big sail in the wind? I'd maybe think about coating those solder points with liquid tape or silicone or something, you know, just in case it should get set down on a metal object like a grill or such...

skypup

Does the tail act like a big sail in the wind? I'd maybe think about coating those solder points with liquid tape or silicone or something, you know, just in case it should get set down on a metal object like a grill or such...

I fly helis also. It shouldn't be any worse than a heli. With the great head lock on the naza controller the tail shouldn't affect things much. I'll find out soon. I'm thinking about liquid tape but am also thinking about the problems if I need to desolder a joint to replace a component. My friend and I have added tails in the past and they are great when you get some distance between you and the machine.

RCNut

In fact it will probably add to the yaw stability in Manual mode. We used to add tails to our helis back in the early 1980s when gyros were rare and expensive. The tail on my first heli was about the size of a table tennis bat and acted as a damper to yaw movements. It made a noticeable improvement to the yaw stability and it was how I first learnt to fly helis.

I have a photo somewhere.

skypup

In fact it will probably add to the yaw stability in Manual mode. We used to add tails to our helis back in the early 1980s when gyros were rare and expensive. The tail on my first heli was about the size of a table tennis bat and acted as a damper to yaw movements. It made a noticeable improvement to the yaw stability and it was how I first learnt to fly helis.

I have a photo somewhere.

I think you might be right but it may not since yaw acts like a HH gyro and not a gyro in rate mode. I remember those old days well. Schluter heliboys, GMP crickets etc. My first heli was a Dubro Whirlybird 505 without gyro. It's no wonder few ever got theirs to fly. This is what those were like.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gb2Cj3epamA

RCNut

My first heli was a Hirobo MiniStar which I think was a copy of the cricket. It was a fixed pitch with an all Aluminium frame. I fitted an OS28H engine and Futaba 27MHz radio. It would have been around 1983 I expect. The same frame was also available in a semi scale Hughes 300 configuration. I only threw out the last bits a few months ago. I now hear they are rare and sought after :-(