Hoverfly Hoverfly Gimbal Doesnt remember programming

Firstly I cant update the firmware because the software doesnt work, secondly I spent an hour at least getting the mounting and accelerometer calibrated and working like perfect, i was pumped live feed to my tv and everything was awsome on my av200. Saved the file all that, unplugged er then plugged it in without the pc..... nothing, all gone it just starts again in some random position, Personally im pretty let down by the whole situation. Tonight i got to see what it can do and was extremely happy then it all went away lol. Whats up hoverfly, why doesnt the firmware update work, im not a fan of testing equipment i paid 300 bucks for.

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
elliot,

i've been very happy with the HF Pro's gimbal controls so it's nice to hear the Gimbal is working well also (when you've had it working).

Regarding the settings, it seems to me that the HF boards have to be given time to go through their start up routines before they can be hooked up or connected to anything. If you force the setup client to connect to the board before the board is ready it seems as if the board will go along with it but the data will be incorrect.

I've got a Gimbal here but haven't had a chance to hook it up to anything yet. Maybe this week sometime.

Bartman

I haven't hooked mine up yet but if it's like the Pro, you should wait for the blinking purple LED before hitting the connect button on the setup client. it may not be the same though. either way, wait until the LED is blinking or solid for a bit of time to make sure the initialization is complete.

Tried out your idea, it connexts fine but the software still gives me a critical error when i goto change the mount direction, i can continue past it.... I am also unable to calibrate all orientations, theres always one that doesnt register.... Hoverfly will b hovering on my shelf until the firmware gets sorted, ill see what the wkm gimbal does for the av200 while i wait. Thanks for the help Bart

Whopis

Hi Elliot,

This is Dan from Hoverfly. I am looking into the problem that you are having right now - can you clarify a couple things for me?

If I understand correctly, the setup client is showing some sort of error message when you change the mounting. Does this happen as soon as you select a new mounting? Or does it happen when you close the mounting selection window?

Also, with the accelerometer calibration - which facing does not register for you?

Regarding the LED, the patterns are as follows:

Flashing yellow - starting up, preparing to perform gyro calibration
Solid Red - measuring gyro - must keep it stationary at this point
Flashing Red - gyro calibration complete, about to start servo control
Solid Green - controlling servos

If it goes to a flashing purple after the solid red, that means that it sensed motion during the gyro calibration and will attempt to repeat the gyro calibration.

dan

Whopis

Elliot,

So far I've not been able to recreate the error that you are having on any of our computers - The problem appears to be in the setup client from what you said - which means that it can be any number of windows-related things.

I am working on an update for the setup client that will give me better information about any error that may occur. I'll let you know as soon as this is available and ask that you give it a try. It might give you the same error - but it will provide some information that should help me track it down and fix it.

I'm sorry to ask you to help out in the testing of our software - Unfortunately when it comes to the windows-based software side of things we are not in as much control as when working on the firmware on our board and sometimes we run into issues that are very hard to discover or recreate without some helpful feedback from our users. So please bear with me for a little bit and I promise you we will get down to the bottom of things here.

thanks,

dan

Hey Dan thanks for looking into it, Seems that when you guys updated the firmware client this afternoon and i could update to .91 all is well! Error message has gone.

I do have a couple other questions though, I will not be using another receiver at this point but would like to easily switch between having the tilt at level or at about 45 degrees for downward shots will i do this by plugging in and changing the tilt neutral? or will it be a gimbal servo adjustment.

Also in regards to mounting direction in the photo you can see my orientation, I would consider to be top back, in the manual i understand the power plug is the reference point. Question is when i select this and lean it to the front which in my case is forward in the picture it says back and vice versa, also says top when sitting the way it is when i thought it should say bottom considering the bottom is facing the table.... Any thoughts are appreciated
Again thanks for looking into my issue super pumped to get the av200 runnin like a champ and shoot some bike park videos, Crankworx whistler BC this summer will be sick lol

I dont mind trying out new software so long as j can restore my old settings, my comment earlier came from frustration of having a brand new setup and having it spaz on the bench lol, im better now!
hmm picture didnt work... usb faces left, power faces back. gimbal is mounted parallel to ground chipset, ontop of gimbal/ ad6 landing gear

Last edited by a moderator:

after some setting up tonight ive found that once ive programmed it, hit save. and figured that was it i would power it down. Power back up and it would still go all cockeyed, when in this state i would induce roll and see reaction, induce tilt and it corrects on roll.... in order to get it back in action i would need to plug in pc, connect, and start the servos then all is well until i power down again?

Is there something i need to do with the av200 pots? ive read online how to set neutral but when do i do so?
thanks

Bartman

elliot,

did you ever gret things sorted out?

one thing i've learned with the hoverfly pro is that you can't enter values into the boxes of the camera control adjustments and expect them to stick. maybe i'm wrong but when i use the sliders things stay in place after I hit save. also, the sliders have green tops and bottoms. if you click on them the green turns orange. when the sliders are orange you can move them left or right with your left and right arrow keys and the adjustments will stay after you hit save. i'm in the process of tuning a camera mount with the HF Pro board and this is working for me.

i don't know why numbers entered into the boxes directly don't stay in the board's memory but that just seems to be the way it is.

bart

Bartman

i just noticed also that when the you click on the slider, in addition to it turning orange, a dotted box appears around the active slider. look for the dotted box around the adjustment you're making and chances are your adjustments will stick.

I havent had i plugged in for a couple weeks... I crashed awhile back. Good news is today was the final day of rebuilding. So ill have everything tuned by tomorrow and then ill start playing with the gimb al again

Ok so i got it reflashed with .92 , setup quite nicely BUT im having an issue where once the gimbal pitches forward from level it activates the roll axis. roll is fine and pitching backwards is fine, just wierd i have tried a few things and cant figure it out...
heres a vid, apologies on quality, made from my phone and my wife didnt feel like shooting it lol
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbcEwSS3AhU&feature=youtu.be