Hoverfly Hoverfly Gimbal Controller?

cobda

Hi,

right now there is no Gimbal Stabilisation (3-Axis) that works like we want it to. Not for the price you can get the HF. I understand people not wanting to be beta-testers. BUT just google or read all forums about Gimbal Stabilisation. It is not as easy as most of us would suggest.
I purchased HFGimbal and thought it might be the one i would need. There is no ready-to-fly right now. So I´ll do my best to help all developers to find solutions for all problems coming along. So yes, i´am kind of a beta-tester.
You cant blame one single thing to be responsible for the issues we have. It might be a mixture of more.
Right now, thanks to a lot of people, it is firmware,mounting position, EMI to create different problems. But we are getting to it.
I changed position (works much better for me now), and i´ll try to use a case like Pete. The next firmware update will hopefully finish the job.

Just my 2cents

Thanks

S11D336B

George - Hoverfly
Hello,
The portion which refers to magnetic interference relates only to the yaw auto compensation feature and does not affect tilt/roll. I can appreciate your situation, and understand your frustration. I can't change the past, but I can be here right now if you're still willing to work with us. If you're interested, I'd be more than willing to talk to you on the phone to better understand what is happening.

Thanks,
George

George: I guess I misunderstood this part of your manual as seen in the screen shots below that makes reference to magnetic interference. There are also many individuals who have commented on the fact that the placement of the board relative to their camera and other electronics effects the operation of their HFG. A shielded box seemed to make sense. I was so desperate for a solution that I would have waved a dead cat over it if I thought it might help. In any event: I just re-tested the HFG with and without the shielded box. If I fly with the unit contained within the box I have no issues with my horizon. As soon as I attempt to fly without the box I am right back where I started: a horizon that is very quickly off by more than 10-15 degrees.

I appreciate your comments above, George, but they would have meant a whole lot more if they had been made to me directly and at any point during the past 3 months when I was desperate to get some assistance with this prior to the end of my Fall photo season. I contacted your company through Ben many times voicing all of the issues I was experiencing and always expressed the urgency of my situation. The only "tip" I was offered was to go back to 1.03 and then, just last week, to go to 1.7. Nothing in between. I know that you are now trying to help me with your comments above, and I appreciate this, but it is too little too late and this is no way to conduct business and still expect any customer loyalty. In very simple terms: I am a guy who bought your product. It did not work as advertised. I practically begged you people for help. I never got any. I'm done. What other outcome could you possibly expect?

Here are two screen shots from your user manual that specifically make reference to interference:

View attachment 9928
View attachment 9929

LGU

This yaw roll coupling is not an isolated problem. Mine does the exact same way and mines edge mounted.
After "upgradeing" to the HFG from the WKM controller (so as to add tilt) I am very dissapointed in this product.
I've pulled it and re set it up to no avail. Next is to change the orientation to see if that helps.

BTW a magnet is not the same as EMI as EMI has frequency and a magnet does not.

LGU

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
I guess the reason my gimbal controller works so well is that I have the yaw servo going straight into the rx and not through the HFG. I still dont see why you need this so much. Seems when you have a 360 gimbal, you have a camera operator. Panning and tilting is more or less manual, although tilt is gyro stabilized as well as roll only it is controllable. Yaw is straight to the sticks. has always worked for me.

LGU

Mine in a stabilized tilt and roll with the yaw being the entire aircraft.
The problem is when any yaw is introduced the gimbal loses the level horizon.
Mine will do it with everything but the HFG OFF! (handheld)

LGU: This is exactly what mine was doing. I put it in the shielded box and the problem went away. They can claim that EMI or RFI has no bearing on this symptom but my experiences have suggested otherwise. Just yesterday I removed the shielded box from the equation and it went right back to the crooked horizon almost immediately. When I added the shielded box once again the horizon was fine even after flying sideways and yawing at a very high rate in both directions. I also have a two axis setup so my yaw is my pan. Even with all of this panning (yawing actually) I could not trip it up. If you do not see the same positive results you will at the very least have created a protective box for your HFG as it should have been delivered to you to begin with. Good luck.

Photronix

Pilot
When Ben mentioned that you had good results with a plastic box I didn't realize that it had a metalized coating on the inside. I would like to arrange to get one of your boxes for testing. Can you PM me your contact info. Also, how did you ground the metalized coating to the common of the electronics? Do you happen to know the make up of the coating. Nickel would be very bad.

LGU: This is exactly what mine was doing. I put it in the shielded box and the problem went away. They can claim that EMI or RFI has no bearing on this symptom but my experiences have suggested otherwise. Just yesterday I removed the shielded box from the equation and it went right back to the crooked horizon almost immediately. When I added the shielded box once again the horizon was fine even after flying sideways and yawing at a very high rate in both directions. I also have a two axis setup so my yaw is my pan. Even with all of this panning (yawing actually) I could not trip it up. If you do not see the same positive results you will at the very least have created a protective box for your HFG as it should have been delivered to you to begin with. Good luck.

toberal

"" 2. When I turn on my rig, the gimbal will learn the current postion of my tilt lever, so if I have the tilt lever full down, then it learns that as center, and I can not get my full range. Right now I try to remember to put the lever back to center before powering up. ""

This is really an inconvenience :mad:

S11D336B

George - Hoverfly
Sorry to hear about this. The HoverflyGIMBAL does this to prevent drift when in angle velocity mode. If we didn't do this and you hadn't put your tilt level back to center, your camera would smash into the ground when you turned on your camera mount anyway. The best thing to do is simply get in the habit of centering your tilt lever before plugging in your camera mount.

"" 2. When I turn on my rig, the gimbal will learn the current postion of my tilt lever, so if I have the tilt lever full down, then it learns that as center, and I can not get my full range. Right now I try to remember to put the lever back to center before powering up. ""

This is really an inconvenience :mad:

jimbril

Hi everybody!

Any tests with the new (1.8) firmware? Is the drifting horizon & yaw axis coupling problem fixed?

I would like to buy the HFG (currently using WKM for gimbal stabilization), but the roll drift always kept me from it...

Your feedback will be much appreciated,

Regards,

Jim.

jimbril

Anyone please?

Hi everybody!

Any tests with the new (1.8) firmware? Is the drifting horizon & yaw axis coupling problem fixed?

I would like to buy the HFG (currently using WKM for gimbal stabilization), but the roll drift always kept me from it...

Your feedback will be much appreciated,

Regards,

Jim.

Anyone please?

Jim: Read the post above regarding the shielded box. This is what solved the issues for me that you are now referring to. With that said; if you have not bought one of these Hoverfly Gimbal stabilizers yet I would suggest that you save your money. The customer service in my experience was nonexistent and this product still has issues. It was not until I went public with this sentiment that they suddenly wanted to help. This after nearly 3 months of begging. At best this stabilizer is mediocre. I have tried the Radian and it is amazing. It cost more but then there is a reason why better products cost more money. You get what you pay... when you're lucky. If you value your time and you want to cut to the chase and get something that simply works as advertised spend a bit more money (which will actually save you money in the end) and buy the Radian. That's just my opinion but its based upon my personal experience and I don't sell these things or 'have my hand out' in any way. I am a photographer who wants to 'get the shot' and I don't want to screw around with substandard or unpredictable equipment. If however you will be using this for hobby purposes and don't mind tinkering around with something in an effort to make it work better this might be fine for you. Good luck.

Last edited by a moderator:

jimbril

Thanks for the feedback RancherPete. Seems like many HFG owners went the Radian way at the end...

Jim: Read the post above regarding the shielded box. This is what solved the issues for me that you are now referring to. With that said; if you have not bought one of these yet I would suggest that you save your money. The customer service in my experience was nonexistent and this product is full of issues. It was not until I went public with this sentiment that they suddenly wanted to help. This after nearly 3 months of begging. At best this stabilizer mediocre. I have tried the Radian and it is amazing. It cost more but then there is a reason why better products cost more money. You get what you pay... when you're lucky. If you value your time and you want to cut to the chase and get something that simply works as advertised spend a bit more money (which will actually save you money in the end) and buy the Radian. That's just my opinion but its based upon my personal experience and I don't sell these things or 'have my hand out' in any way. I am a photographer who want to get the shot and I don't want to screw around with substandard or unpredictable equipment. Goo luck.

Thanks for the feedback RancherPete. Seems like many HFG owners went the Radian way at the end...

I'm happy to share my experience. I just hate to see someone go through the same aggravation that I have been through. I hope that the Radians will work out for you.
Happy Holidays.

Photronix

Pilot
I find it odd that you have this opinion yet I replied to your thread and also sent you a PM.

As far as EMI/RFI shielding this is not a problem we have found in the HFG. The circuit is almost pure digital. In addition, the EMI/RFI coating on many of the plastic enclosures contains nickel which shields magnetic fields (see mu metal). Shielding the Earths magnetic field from the magnetometer on the HFG is not a recommended approach and can cause more problems. I believe using the box in your case changed the vibratory spectrum seen by the HFG and resulted in different performance.

I believe the latest firmware will match the Radians, at a third of the cost and complexity.

Sorry if we lost you as a customer...we do try our best to satisfy everyone.

"..we do try our best to satisfy everyone". If what I experienced was your best efforts with regard to customer service then you guys might want to crack a book open on how to communicate with people in this century. Yes, you replied to the thread and sent a PM months after the fact and only after I made my grievances known on this thread. This after weeks of my politely asking for assistance at regular intervals and receiving nothing in return. While I appreciate your efforts at this late date it is just too late to 'make nice' after all of this unnecessary aggravation. Its also a little bit too predictable for my taste. I hope you guys get it figured out.

jimbril

Dear Photronix,

Is the drifting horizon & yaw axis coupling problem fixed? I am really interested in buying your controller, but the said problem (as stated by many users in this and other forums) has kept me from it. Could you please confirm that it has been resolved with the new firmware release? Also, some new test videos (with the new firmware) would clear things up and make it easier for potential buyers (like myself) to decide ...

Thanking you in advance,

Jim.

I believe the latest firmware will match the Radians, at a third of the cost and complexity.

Photronix

Pilot
I'll ask Dan, the lead engineer on this, to comment. I am fairly confident that it has been resolved. GGoodman was having some major issues with his gimbal but as I understand he is now very happy with the performance. He sent us one of his gimbals to test with and Dan demonstrated it to me. Very nice gimbal and the performance with the HFG is very good.

I would like to buy a Radian to test with but.....sheesh they are kind of expensive. The design of the Radian with separate sensors for each axis takes the load off the software development. The downside is it works great with the Cinestar gimbal but it will be difficult to mount it to all gimbal models. I feel that is a major advantage of the HFG. It was designed to work with any gimbal design but that makes our (I mean Dan's) job a great deal harder on the software side. He has done a phenomenal job on this product.