Please explain how the NAZA gimbal works

jackmulti

Hi,

I am thinking of installing a gimbal on my F450 but I'm confused about how NAZA controls it. First question: are the servos linked to channels in the transmitter? meaning, can you pan and tilt manually, say, with a head tracker? which are the channels that control the servos? X1 and X2? but aren't those the ones you use for setting altitude and attitude lock gain?

I couldn't find this information on the thin NAZA manual, and it seems there is no control from the transmitter? but then what exactly is the function of the NAZA in regards to the gimbal?

I am a little lost here, as you can see.

Any clarification would be most welcome. Thanks.

meme

Hi,

I am thinking of installing a gimbal on my F450 but I'm confused about how NAZA controls it. First question: are the servos linked to channels in the transmitter? meaning, can you pan and tilt manually, say, with a head tracker? which are the channels that control the servos? X1 and X2? but aren't those the ones you use for setting altitude and attitude lock gain?

I couldn't find this information on the thin NAZA manual, and it seems there is no control from the transmitter? but then what exactly is the function of the NAZA in regards to the gimbal?

Hey there,
i have used Naza as a Gimbal Controller for the quadframe 2 axis Gimbal. Connect connect the 2 servo cables to the Naza as described on the manual and set the gains and servo travel in the assistant.

-meme

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
Hi,

The two servos connect to the Naza controller and will automagically keep the tilt and roll axis steady and level, sorry no pan capability, for that you need a three axis gimbal and a second TX/RX. The good news is being a multirotor you easily yaw with the rudder stick to pan, so not a big deal IMO. The tilt channel will also allow you to manually set the tilt to whatever angle the gimbal is capable of and the Naza will maintain that angle provided there's travel left for the servo to move in the direction it needs to go.

You will have to make a decision if you want to have tilt control or have TX adjustability of gain from the TX, simply put there aren't enough ports available to do everything you might want to do and DJI refuses to implement PPM control so we're stuck with the few options available on the hardware, you can have one or the other but not both.

If you already have it setup and the gimbal doesn't seem to be doing anything increase the gain settings for both servos in the gimbal screen, as I recall the default setting is 2 and with it set that low you won't get any movement from the servos, it needs to be at least 10 and the actual setting will depend on the gimbal and servos you have as to what the correct setting needs to be to maintain level scross the entire travel on that axis.

HTH

Ken

jackmulti

The two servos connect to the Naza controller and will automagically keep the tilt and roll axis steady and level, sorry no pan capability, for that you need a three axis gimbal and a second TX/RX. The good news is being a multirotor you easily yaw with the rudder stick to pan, so not a big deal IMO. The tilt channel will also allow you to manually set the tilt to whatever angle the gimbal is capable of and the Naza will maintain that angle provided there's travel left for the servo to move in the direction it needs to go.

You will have to make a decision if you want to have tilt control or have TX adjustability of gain from the TX, simply put there aren't enough ports available to do everything you might want to do and DJI refuses to implement PPM control so we're stuck with the few options available on the hardware, you can have one or the other but not both.

If you already have it setup and the gimbal doesn't seem to be doing anything increase the gain settings for both servos in the gimbal screen, as I recall the default setting is 2 and with it set that low you won't get any movement from the servos, it needs to be at least 10 and the actual setting will depend on the gimbal and servos you have as to what the correct setting needs to be to maintain level scross the entire travel on that axis.

HTH

Ken

Ken, thanks for the perfect explanation. That was exactly what I needed clarification on. Now I understand.

Thanks again.

Marek

Hey guys,

I've ordered NAZA and want to choose some servos for my DIY gimbal but I can't find out whether NAZA support 360 servos for gimbal stabilization or just a standard servos?

Cheers.

abonto

Hey guys,

I've ordered NAZA and want to choose some servos for my DIY gimbal but I can't find out whether NAZA support 360 servos for gimbal stabilization or just a standard servos?

Cheers.

Don't buy the cheap ones, it's too slow. I bought the Savox.

Marek

Actually I want to buy quite expensive servos but I just don't know whether it can be 360 degrees rotating one or just a standard one so it will rotate within some range.

Marek

You can actually "hack" any servo for 360° rotation.....just a question how good you are with tinkering on small things:

http://www.pololu.com/blog/24/continuous-rotation-servos-and-multi-turn-servos

http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-modify-a-servo-motor-for-continuous-rotatio/?ALLSTEPS

http://www.sentex.ca/~mec1995/gadgets/servos/servomod.html

The guys who build robots do this a lot.....

Chris

Thanks for you answer. But I am trying to find out whether NAZA can control 360 servo used for gimbal.

ChrisViperM

In Naza (or WooKong) Software you can adjust the servo travel. Manual says it can be set between +1000/-1000....don't know how much this is in degrees. But you can try to set it to +0/-0 and see what happens.

Chris

Marek

In Naza (or WooKong) Software you can adjust the servo travel. Manual says it can be set between +1000/-1000....don't know how much this is in degrees. But you can try to set it to +0/-0 and see what happens.

Chris

Yes, you can adjust travel limit. I can't really try it out now as NAZA is on the way and I also don't have a 360 servo around to test it.

According to what I know standard servo is controlled in the way that if you put the controller stick all the way up it will rotate several degrees and then stop. 360 servo on the other hand is more like precise 2 way motor so if you put the stick all the way up, it will keep rotating at it's maximum speed. Is that correct?

This brings me to the question how to specify in the settings what type of servo is used so NAZA knows how to operate it? I couldn't find such a setting in NAZA manual.

Cheers,
Marek

ChrisViperM

On my way home it just hit me like....the only reason to use a 360° servo is to use it for the PAN (rotating around its vertical axis) , and the PAN is not controlled by the NAZA. ROLL and TILT are connected to the NAZA, and PAN is connected directly to the transmitter.....so if you use it like that you have no problem with 360° servo.

Chris

Marek

On my way home it just hit me like....the only reason to use a 360° servo is to use it for the PAN (rotating around its vertical axis) , and the PAN is not controlled by the NAZA. ROLL and TILT are connected to the NAZA, and PAN is connected directly to the transmitter.....so if you use it like that you have no problem with 360° servo.

Chris

I actually want to use it for TILT, so that's why I'm concerned.