Hoverfly HoverFlyPro OSD, GPS, video transmitter, radio transmitter

Ron2020

I understand the HoverflyPro provides On Screen Display for First Person Viewing.

How does one overlay the HoverflyPro's OSD data on the video being sent from the vehicle?

What video transmitters give the best results?

Are there any interference concerns that needs to be avoided between the GPS receiver antenna, the onboard video transmitter antenna, and the Spektrum Transmitter radio?
If so, how do we deal with them?

thanks!
ron

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
The board has video in and out connectors, you have to pass the video signal through the board from the camera to the video TX. In general you should avoid video TX in the 1.2/1.3 gHz band if using GPS, that leaves 900 mHz and 5.8gHz to avoid potential problems with Spektrum radio gear. Always try to mount receivers and transmitters as far from each other as is reasonably possible, not always easy on multirotors.

As to what TX work best, depends a lot on what you intend to do with it, if it will be mainly within line of sight flying then 5.8 are probably the best choice, if there are any obstacles to fly between or around then the 900 is a better choice. Long range is another consideration but given the limited time in the air with a multirotor not as much of a concern as it would be with a winged aircraft that can glide for long distances.

The type of antennas and quality of the video TX/RX have a lot to do with it as well, as with almost anything else, you get what you pay for...

Ken

Ron2020

Thanks, Ken.

With regard to mounting receivers and transmitters as far from each other as possible...
Assuming I want to build a '+' quadcopter, and i have:

HoverflyPro & HoverflyGPS,
900 MHz video transmitter,
Spektrum DX8,

would i place the antennas parallel along each boom, as in the picture?
Or do i need to place any of these antennas perpendicular to the booms?

BTW, 'Motor-to-Motor Spacing' (from the Hoverflypro Hardware Equipment Spreadsheet) refers to the distance from the motor on one end of the boom to the motor on the other end of the same boom, right? Not the distance from the motor at the 12:00 o'clock position to the motor at the 3:00 o'clock position, right?

Which brings me to another question...what is the ideal range for the length of a boom?

Ron

Attachments

• Quadcopter Antennas.jpg
    Quadcopter Antennas.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 254

hoverben

Person of Interest
Ron,

Your antenna layout will work, although the receiver antenna doesn't necessarily need to be so far out on the boom.

Motor-to-motor distance should always be the longest measurement, so it would be the distance between opposite motors on a quadcopter.

With regards to the boom length, Hoverfly products are scalable from mini-quads up to 60-inches and more. For most purposes, 12 to 14 inch booms should be sufficient, depending on how large your propellers are.