Photohigher skyline rsgs

cs8

Is there any news about the direct drive gimbals? If the skyline will now work as it should be it would be great if the gimbals will be also improved.

Fifon

I love the Skyline.
You are just confirming what I saw on the previous PH video : the Skyline is unable to keep the horizon leveled
See that at 0:28, 1:16, 1:18, 2:17, 2:40...

I perfectly know this problem because it happens exactly the same way on Mikrokopter stabilization. It's very easy to make it happen by climbing at the same position with lateral wind and also when panning.

When you are working for television and advertising (my case) this is just unusable. This is really a pity because the first firmware of Skyline was full of jitter but at least this problem was not existing :upset:

Last edited by a moderator:

I think it is only fair for people to post unedited clips if they are trying to show things have been fixed. We can all pick the best 10 seconds here and there, but people on this thread want to know the real story.

nicwilke : Going by your posts, I take you are a rep of some form for photohigher ?.

jelte

Fifon, why don't you buy a Wescam then for your 'television' and 'advertising' jobs?

nicwilke

I think it is only fair for people to post unedited clips if they are trying to show things have been fixed. We can all pick the best 10 seconds here and there, but people on this thread want to know the real story.

nicwilke : Going by your posts, I take you are a rep of some form for photohigher ?.

:D Haha, you made me spit coffee on my self.
No mate, I am not a rep, or dealer or work for them, merely an enthusiastic user of multirotors who has been helping a lot (and im talking nearly a dozen) of people quietly via email, skype and PM in my limited spare time to set thier gimbals and get a usable result on the Skyline. I obtained the FW after some polite email communication with some people photohigher staff when I needed some parts.

What I'm doing is being reasonable. In video production, you have what is called 'takes'. If you relied on single takes for every scene your video is going to be poor as you will not have the choice of the best clips. I'm demonstrating with my video that with my X8 that is slightly overweight (little fatty is 5kg), some small issue with vibration and gains not dialed in, that I can get the results that I think is good enough to share. If some of you are high end pro users think my video is no good, I'm happy to take criticism as its part of the industry.

My video is simply a sample of what can be done in half an hour of flying in some light to medium wind, with a little NEX-5n and another half hour of editing.

If you look at 1:40 you can see the shadow of the stabilization happening. I showed this for a user of this forum who asked PH if it was an issue.

I forgot to mention when posting the video that that the Skyline was not carefully dialed in, and my multirotor isn't running the best.

Would you like me to post all of my bad video? That's not what I want to see, I take the best video and share it.

May I please ask.... If you're in the industry, what did you use before the Skyline was released? Why the need for a $300 stabilization device if you've already had better?

I'm only here to share, learn and pass on any info if anyone is interested. Is that not what we are here for guys?

Fifon

Fifon, why don't you buy a Wescam then for your 'television' and 'advertising' jobs?

:highly_amused: of course the companies we are working for are using wescam (and cineflex too) but multirotors and heli are used to cover altitude from 0 to 150m.
People often say that we are competitor of real heli but we answer that we are a complementary tool.

But hey you should know that ;D

nicwilke

:highly_amused: of course the companies we are working for are using wescam (and cineflex too) but multirotors and heli are used to cover altitude from 0 to 150m.
People often say that we are competitor of real heli but we answer that we are a complementary tool.

But hey you should know that ;D

What stabilization were you using prior to the Skyline and how does it stack up? I agree 200m max is all I need.

Fifon

May I please ask.... If you're in the industry, what did you use before the Skyline was released? Why the need for a $300 stabilization device if you've already had better?

I'm only here to share, learn and pass on any info if anyone is interested. Is that not what we are here for guys?

I never said I had better before and today I'm using MK Flight Control and Picloc with the same problem of loosing leveled horizon so we have to do and do again the shoot until it's perfect. I'm ready to pay much more for a real professional stabilization unit but today on the market you can't find that. The only real rock solid unit is the Zenmuse but it's only for nex5 so it's useless.
I'm really frustrated because I tried the skyline and behind the problem of jitter I could really see the big potential of this unit.

What I don't understand in stab process is why are they unable to keep the horzon leveled ? Let's take a simple case of a multirotor with MK flight control sending stabilisation to a 2 axis AV200 for exemple. Now make the machine climbing above a fixed spot with a lateral wind and you have 99% of chance to see the gimbal roll sliding to the left or to the right, why ? Obviously the flight control knows where is the level because the multirotor is still flying flat. This is a big mystery for me !

Vortex

I am after a Skyline unit and thought I'd post it up here seeing as there are so many unhappy owners. PM me if you'd like to convert it to cash.

Thanks,

Lance

@Fifon. Here is a vid I took yesterday. You will see the horizon tilts left when I pan right so you have a point but I am sure it is something tthat can be fixed. Anyway as it is I am very pleased with the results I am getting

Fifon

@Fifon. Here is a vid I took yesterday. You will see the horizon tilts left when I pan right so you have a point but I am sure it is something tthat can be fixed. Anyway as it is I am very pleased with the results I am getting
Of course after using a lot of post processing you can get stable video but this is good only for a hobbyist level. The only time I'm allowed to use post stab is for 720 resolution project that we are filming in 1080. For this reason I also can't wait to get a Blackmagic cinema camera and be able to get 1080 stabilized.
But I'm sure the auto-leveling horizon problem can be solved because this is one of the top features from Freefly Radian. Now I'm waiting to get my units (2 axis) and see if that's true ;)

Thomb

pffff now 2 weeks trying to get the skyling working on my av130 with 360 option. everytime i use auto tune or press servo on the thing goes wicked and turns till all is stuck. same story as the first week. Is there a fix in the new software that will fix this? i used 1.1.3, 1.1.6 and 1.1.7 and all are ****.

nicwilke

Of course after using a lot of post processing you can get stable video but this is good only for a hobbyist level. The only time I'm allowed to use post stab is for 720 resolution project that we are filming in 1080. For this reason I also can't wait to get a Blackmagic cinema camera and be able to get 1080 stabilized.
But I'm sure the auto-leveling horizon problem can be solved because this is one of the top features from Freefly Radian. Now I'm waiting to get my units (2 axis) and see if that's true ;)

When you crash (and you will crash) its gonna hurt.

Good luck with the radian, see you back here when the hero gimbal come.

:thumbup:

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

nicwilke

pffff now 2 weeks trying to get the skyling working on my av130 with 360 option. everytime i use auto tune or press servo on the thing goes wicked and turns till all is stuck. same story as the first week. Is there a fix in the new software that will fix this? i used 1.1.3, 1.1.6 and 1.1.7 and all are ****.

Remove the belt and servo gear, in software make sure the servos on the AV130 are reversed and manually level the servos. Meaning... Lower the settings until they stop. Connect the belt and drive gear and you're set.

Fifon

That's why I have a bad feeling about hero gimbal, the Skyline unit will provide the stabilisation... But you know I still have a skyline with me ready for the new firmware !
Today I have a FC with special firmware, picloc, skyline, wiicopter, wookong but none of them are giving good results :upset:

Thanks for the nice words about crashing, I can see you are strongly defending the Skyline. Are you sure you are not rep from PH ? :highly_amused:

Thomb

Remove the belt and servo gear, in software make sure the servos on the AV130 are reversed and manually level the servos. Meaning... Lower the settings until they stop. Connect the belt and drive gear and you're set.

i got the belt and roll gear off, now i do not really know what to do next. could you tell me what firmware to use and a step by step?

Kari

I tried to set up now with 1.2.0 but roll axis goes totally wild when doing auto tune. Tilt axis works fine. I have done dummy potis with two 2,4K resistors for both servos, set levels, roll servo is connected to pan servo in skyline (i tried with roll servo too of course), i have tried reversing channel and without reversing but no luck. Any ideas what i'm doing wrong?

Kari