Photohigher skyline rsgs

WKM Gimbal Output Frequency: I am through with the RSGS and will now have to use my AV200 with the F1 & F2 outputs from my WKM until my Hoverfly Gimbal controller arrives. I am running 5.12 firmware on my WKM (the one with the new gimbal output frequency control numbers that you can dial in) and wondered if anyone one here could tell me what number to dial in. I have a new AV200 with the gold colored Savox servos for pitch and roll. I have heard that this new feature in the WKM is an improvement but I just don't know what the numbers are and I don't want to screw up my new AV200 servos. Anyone?

Last edited by a moderator:

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
The DJI output is slightly faster but it still sucks. the hoverfly is the way to go. I slapped it on my av200 and it works amazingly well. I never even tuned the thing. No 3 BEC's, shocks, felt washers, H-harnesses, firmware upgrades, 3 batteries, etc. it just does what it is supposed to. it may not be as good as the RSGS when/if it ever works as it was supposed to but it is more than good enough for my needs. At least things can be put through post and still be stabilized. Certainly neither of these are going to give Zenmuse perfection but I think you can still get some million $ shots with this setup. I tested it in 15mph wind and I knew immediately it would be amazing in calm conditions if it did what it did in those conditions. But, hopefully, PH will figure this all out and make the product they initially had in mind. I certainly dont doubt it is possible. As for the Radian, charging $350 per axis??? Forget it. Not even a discount for getting all 3 is just bad business. Then again, if it really is the bee's knees then they can charge whatever the hell they want.

when i power on the skyline i get a red light, followed by a yellow light, than the yellow light starts to blink and it wil keep turning the tilt. any idea whats wrong?

I'm in the same boat. Servos just try and spin constantly. I can't seem to find any way to get this unit to stop trying to ruin itself.

Steve: I would strongly encourage you to read the preceding 50 pages of this thread and then ask yourself if you want to go down this road with Skyline. For what its worth.

I'm in the same boat. Servos just try and spin constantly. I can't seem to find any way to get this POS to stop trying to ruin itself.

The DJI output is slightly faster but it still sucks. the hoverfly is the way to go. I slapped it on my av200 and it works amazingly well. I never even tuned the thing. No 3 BEC's, shocks, felt washers, H-harnesses, firmware upgrades, 3 batteries, etc. it just does what it is supposed to. it may not be as good as the RSGS when/if it ever works as it was supposed to but it is more than good enough for my needs. At least things can be put through post and still be stabilized. Certainly neither of these are going to give Zenmuse perfection but I think you can still get some million $ shots with this setup. I tested it in 15mph wind and I knew immediately it would be amazing in calm conditions if it did what it did in those conditions. But, hopefully, PH will figure this all out and make the product they initially had in mind. I certainly dont doubt it is possible. As for the Radian, charging $350 per axis??? Forget it. Not even a discount for getting all 3 is just bad business. Then again, if it really is the bee's knees then they can charge whatever the hell they want.

I just wanted to try it out until my HFGimbal arrived. The good news is that I just learned that it will be here tomorrow morning so I won't have to deal with the WKM outputs after all. It is encouraging to hear what you have to say about the unit. My experience with HF as a company has been very good thus far and their user manual actually has some real value, unlike the Skyline manual. I also agree that 'Radian' not offering an incentive to buy all three axis together is bad business. As soon as i saw that I closed the page and bought the HF. I'll let you know when I get some decent video.

nicwilke

can't get it to work, followed a step by step video on youtube, but when i click the auto tune the roll will max out and the tilt will keep turning till the wires get stuck. what the hell am i doing wrong? all is connected like it should.

Once you level the tray, chick auto tune. It will roll hard but support the wires as it turns to lock. If you are triallingvtge custom loom/s be careful they are wired correctly andcthe pot cables are correct. Resist the temptation to unplug the RSGS as it does it conniption fit, it's reading max values.
Keep the wires supported while it dies this process as sometimes the process can yank wires.

RSGS is fantastic if set up correctly.

I'm in the same boat. Servos just try and spin constantly. I can't seem to find any way to get this unit to stop trying to ruin itself.

Got that sorted. Apparently a mismatch between software and firmware. I now just have the jitters like everyone else. I'm on a AV130, so I guess I'll try the Y-power cable.

Yours sure looked good on the ground nicwlike - are you using 1.1.7? Any suggestions for me?

nicwilke

Got that sorted. Apparently a mismatch between software and firmware. I now just have the jitters like everyone else. I'm on a AV130, so I guess I'll try the Y-power cable.

Yours sure looked good on the ground nicwlike - are you using 1.1.7? Any suggestions for me?

I'm on 1.1.6. Make sure your AV130 roll gear is firm with no slop on the roll gear rail.

Thomb

Once you level the tray, chick auto tune. It will roll hard but support the wires as it turns to lock. If you are triallingvtge custom loom/s be careful they are wired correctly andcthe pot cables are correct. Resist the temptation to unplug the RSGS as it does it conniption fit, it's reading max values.
Keep the wires supported while it dies this process as sometimes the process can yank wires.

RSGS is fantastic if set up correctly.

how did you fixed it? my tilt is still turning till the wires get stuck and they pull the rsgs loose.

Thomb

yeah i connected the servo pot cabels like it should red on red black on black. still weird movements and unlimited tilt till the cables get stuck

DennyR

I have mine working with a DYDrones AMP-2 Fc board mounted on the camera base plate, which has some nice camera outputs. I also changed the elastic band reduction drive to the tilt and replaced that servo with a di-pole stepper motor with a micro stepped driver which can resolve a blisteringly fast 12,800 possible positions per 360 degrees of rotation. Zen performance in tilt, but expensive to do. Motor 120 usd and the controller 280 usd. plus a lot of work. Not worth doing on the roll due to the mechanical slop.

I am thinking about marketing a universal motor kit comprising of di-pole stepper motors with a built in micro driver and single axis IMU for roll and tilt applications and a pan kit that also has a built in mag. These motors will drive a balanced 5D without any problem. I don't want the hassle of making universal camera mounts but I like the idea of supplying the essential components.

A standard stepper motor has a resolution of only 1.7 degrees however a micro driver can change all that. That is where DJI were so clever with this:View attachment 5773

Producing a competitor to the Zen is an absolute non starter, you could never do it for the price they charge, even when you know how.

Attachments

• DJI Zenmuse IMU-2.jpg
    DJI Zenmuse IMU-2.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 263

yeah i connected the servo pot cabels like it should red on red black on black. still weird movements and unlimited tilt till the cables get stuck

I am stuck there too, the only fw i can use without knocking against this problem is the 1.13. I guess it's because i don't use an AV gimbal or servos (although my gimbal rotation range exceeds the AV's) so i keep filming with the 1.13. And am happy with the results, i must say....:tennis:
Sadly there's no fw and sw mismatch so this is not going to be a solution for me.
C
P.S.: If i read correctly this thread title reads "Photohigher skyline rsgs". If i wanted infos about other systems it woul be easier for me to find them if they were collected under more adherently titled threads. IMHO and experience.

Thomb

I am stuck there too, the only fw i can use without knocking against this problem is the 1.13. I guess it's because i don't use an AV gimbal or servos (although my gimbal rotation range exceeds the AV's) so i keep filming with the 1.13. And am happy with the results, i must say....:tennis:
Sadly there's no fw and sw mismatch so this is not going to be a solution for me.
C
P.S.: If i read correctly this thread title reads "Photohigher skyline rsgs". If i wanted infos about other systems it woul be easier for me to find them if they were collected under more adherently titled threads. IMHO and experience.

well, i got the skyline working with the 1.1.3 with old software. And i just recieved the 1.1.7 from clauz and its actually working! only thing is after setting the auto tune it wont reconnect with the software on pc.

Stiffer

New firmware

Is there anybody that could please send me the new 1.1.7 firmware ? in a PM mayby ?

I have problem with Jitter also, use a external 6,5 Ubec for the whole setup.

the problem is kinda "micro vibrations" that is made by the servos, the compensation is okay.

i run 1.1.6 now.

Best
Stiffer

DennyR

The servo noise is always there even with 1.1.7 It needs a low pass filter on the output to the servo (V.ref return). i.e. the circuit that mimics the servo pot.

Although the practice of placing the IMU on a final axis can work to a reasonable accuracy it is not considered the best option. For the IMU to detect a movement it has to actually start to move in the first instance. The object of the exercise is to stop it from moving. This also places a restriction on the gain level before oscillation and is thus a delayed action. Mounting the IMU on the back of the servo i.e. one axis out may prove to be better. At least you should be able to achieve the same gain as on the roll. It is now operating in feed fwd. not feedback. That means that your gain will now control the servo output travel volume which has to be dialed in to the actual disturbance. Your roll will be unchanged.

pixvertex

Hi,

i use version 1.7. Today after some auto tune it seams to me like the skyline has written wrong values into his settings.
The skyline software crashes when i select the com port and starts to read/parse the config stored on the skyline.
See below. I also tried to install firmwares 1.3, 1.6 and 1.7 again hoping to get back the default values. But no luck. The firmware gets installed but again after reading the values from the skyline the software crashes. I can't reset to default since the skyline software crashes before.

Do somebody known if it is possible to connect to skyline direct with a terminal to reset the values by hand. Or has any idea how to do this ? And what values are the default ones ?

best
micha

See the end of this message for details on invoking
just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
System.ArgumentOutOfRangeException: Value of '65175' is not valid for 'Value'. 'Value' should be between 'Minimum' and 'Maximum'.
Parameter name: Value
at System.Windows.Forms.NumericUpDown.set_Value(Decimal value)
at WindowsApplication1.frmMain.readAllSettings()
at WindowsApplication1.frmMain.Connect(String port)
at WindowsApplication1.frmMain.cmdUpdate_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnClick(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnClick(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mevent)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ButtonBase.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Button.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)