Photohigher skyline rsgs

@multihexa : Can you give the exact reference of the servo please ?
@heinz: Can't do anything from there, are you available this evening on skype ?

MultiHexa

Yes, it is probably well to the servo.
When I plug in the Roll servo to Tilt (SAVÖX Servo) works tilt.
Problems do only the Hitec Servo

Have the pots been removed from your tilt servo?
so you need power cable coming out of the servo that goes to the skyline, plus another three wire cable that goes to the skyline tilt pot plug.

Edit, you may have done his already. I'm not sure how the picloc system works.

Yes, it is probably well to the servo.
When I plug in the Roll servo to Tilt (SAVÖX Servo) works tilt.
Problems do only the Hitec Servo

jappie911

I had some great results today!
I did some rough flying, and sometimes when looking on the video, I even can't find anymore were I did the rough parts !! :frog:
I know I have to wait for tomorrow, but I only have some small jitter, mostly in roll when I am flying easy, so when the servo's need to be quiet. (did tried some other UBEc, but did not work.)
And one thing I hope they can fix or explain; the tilt moving normally with a knob on my mx20 through MK system, works strange.
It now works like some kind of stop and go function.
But this thing is really great, straight horizons !! Who needs Zenmuse..! :02.47-tranquillity:

Well.. Today I did the calibration etc. following the new instructions..

Jitter looks a little bit less.. but did not fly it yet.

And I thought I maybe had slew mode activated but it was not.. on and off, my tilt does not work as I want.

But maybe I need to take servo 3 or 4 in MK CAMERA tab ? Until now I had it to the "servo control">"nick" ( as it always was on Mk stabilization..)

Going to try it tomorrow, but want to know already: Is that my fault ?

Hi MultiHexa,

I'll explain a little about how the Skyline works which might help you out.

Hobby servos use the usual 1.5ms duty cycle to represent neutral. Because movement on UAV's is so quick, the hobby servo refresh rate is not quick enough to stabilise. So unlike the other stabilisation systems out there, we figured that we can't control the gimbal through the hobby servo signal and give you quick responses. To quicken the response, we tapped into the pot input which can be updated much quicker on Savox digital servos and just sent the servo a neutral pulse through its hobby input to keep it happy.

So why does your Hitec servo not work if it's digital? We are experimenting with them now but these are our early guesses. I'm just speculating but there is a chance that your servo is not responding to the Servo Tilt input. The Hitec servos probably only recognise 5V hobby servo PWM signals. The Skyline send a constant neutral hobby signal - however only at 3.3V. The higher end microcontrollers run at 3.3V instead of 5V.

To confirm this is the case, use an available channel from your transmitter or servo tester and send a neutral pulse to your servo. This will replicate the lower voltage neutral signal the Skyline would have sent. Then use the Skyline "Tilt Pot" input to connect to your Hitec pot input. As long as the reference voltage is the same, (which I asked you to check in the last reply), there is little reason left why it will not work.

Could you please take a close up picture of how you soldered your servo pot wires in your hitec? Please try to show us much of the track as you can. Also have the case next to it so I can figure out how your setup might be different.

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
Has anyone tried both powering the servos from the skyline vs. direct power to servos from the BEC? I am curious if there is any less feedback when powered separately.

....To quicken the response, we tapped into the pot input which can be updated much quicker on Savox digital servos and just sent the servo a neutral pulse through its hobby input to keep it happy....

When i found (10 minutes after receiving the skyline) what you figured to take out any servo electronics interference to the command line there was only one word i could think of: Respect. :tennis:

Well.. Today I did the calibration etc. following the new instructions..
But maybe I need to take servo 3 or 4 in MK CAMERA tab ? Until now I had it to the "servo control">"nick" ( as it always was on Mk stabilization..)
Going to try it tomorrow, but want to know already: Is that my fault ?

What are you talking about ?

You have a skyline yes ?
so there is NO MORE connexion between your gimbal servo and the flying card : NO CONNEXION AT ALL :)

As explained in my videos, everything is now handled by the skyline: everything.
on the servo you have 2 plug: one for the servo powering + signal and one for the servo potentiometer. Both MUST be plugged on the skyline.

jappie911

Well, I want to use Tilt input ! but i think you mean it has to come directly out of the reciever.., and not through the flightcontrl. ?

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
1001 Copters, I have my Xaircraft 650 with KK control running on (8) 4120 Axis and am wondering if i can lift the Skyline gyro? I dont have a gimbal but would like to just lift the skyline to make it look more professional. I dont intend to use a camera with this rig as it is just for FPV, so the skyline would double stick tape to the side of the iphone, right? I have seen this before on youtube and want to get similar results. Also, you said 2s battery wont work so I assume the 6s would be ok to power the gyro? Please advise quickly as I need to spy on my neighbor tomorrow morning who regularly takes baths at 8am and she is hot!

just kidding. I thought I'd add some humour to the thread. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Well, I want to use Tilt input ! but i think you mean it has to come directly out of the reciever.., and not through the flightcontrl. ?

Hi Jappie,

You should really read the manual and watch the videos I have made...
I show in my video that you can control the tilt thru the skyline. A futur firmware will allow you to control the tilt exactly like on the MK. (a potentiometer position correspond to a tilt position of the camera tray)
Actually it works like this:

you push your stick a little: the tilt run a littl. you stop pushing the stick (neutral position) the tilt stay where it is.
you push harder: tilt move faster.

Has anyone tried both powering the servos from the skyline vs. direct power to servos from the BEC? I am curious if there is any less feedback when powered separately.

Didn't try this yet but if you do so, you won't have tilt control :/
About the feedback, I have seen a video footgae of one of my customer yesterday and the roll stabilization is just amazing....
I hope he will allow me to post his video.

jappie911

Hi Jappie,

You should really read the manual and watch the videos I have made...
I show in my video that you can control the tilt thru the skyline. A futur firmware will allow you to control the tilt exactly like on the MK. (a potentiometer position correspond to a tilt position of the camera tray)
Actually it works like this:

you push your stick a little: the tilt run a littl. you stop pushing the stick (neutral position) the tilt stay where it is.
you push harder: tilt move faster.

Well, I did read the manual, and video, which are very good.. And I discovered it works like you did describe above, but did not know it was simply not possible yet to do it like on the MK.

I think it is not working very fine.. especially on a knob of my mx20, maybe I can set it up with a trainercable to an mx12 I just bought for it, and then put tilt on a stick..

For the rest very happy with my Skyline, I have some great video already !

Stick or pot, it's the same. The stick have springs to come back to neutral point but it's still a potentiometer inside :)

just be a little patient, Photohigher is working on the next firmware and it will probably have an option to work as on MK ;)

jappie911

I will be patient, but still want to use it until then.. But now I know it just works like that ! Thanks to clear that up !

And yes it works the same, with a pot, but it was a bit strange to get use to it.. 1st flight my camera was hanging 90 degree to the ground, when flying time was over, and I was messing with the speed of the knob.

However it prooved that 90 degree film was also very stable !! Great !

AEMontoya

Use of Hitec 5645MG

Any more word about the 5645MG? I have an Av130 coming in that has this servo on the tilt axis. Will it be necessary to replace it with the same Savox servo that's on the roll axis? If so, have the Savox servos that come with the Av130 been modified in some way by PH? Or can I just buy an off-the-shelf Savox from a LHS and use it?

Lastly, I'm new to the use of gimbals. For basic roll and tilt stabilization, would the Skyline be that much better than what I can get with the stock Av130 w/ potentiometers working with my Naza FC? I am about to purchase a Skyline tomorrow, but all of the dismal reports I've been reading about in this thread has me questioning.

Thanks

Hi Aemontoya,

read the previous page, there's an update about the hitec servo.
Stock AV130 are normaly delivered with Savox servo, not Hitech (until now)

Savox servo are effectively modified: the Potentiometer is external.

On stabilization you have the DJI stab wich is known to be well... a little crappy (just a little), the MK stab wich is the one used by most of people actually and the new skyline. The difference between skyline and othr stab is impressive.
I don't hide there are some problems and Photohigher is working on it, but even with these problems, the customers returns on the product is very good. I have seen some video footag yesterday, very very impressive.

Anyway, you can wait to buy a skyline if you are not convinced yet, the product seems to have a very nice futur and it won't be stopped tomorow :D

AEMontoya

Savox servo are effectively modified: the Potentiometer is external.

Thanks, 1001 Copters. I'm still not totally sure what you mean by the above quote. If I replaced my hitech servo with a Savox, would I need to modify the Savox? Or, can the Savox be bought with the modification already done?

Post #247, from PH, states the following, which suggests that they modify the stock Savox servos before installing them on their gimbals:

"To quicken the response, we tapped into the pot input which can be updated much quicker on Savox digital servos and just sent the servo a neutral pulse through its hobby input to keep it happy."

Hopefully, I can just buy a Savox servo off the shelf, but it doesn't seem like it.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator: