DJI Wookong M GPS does not work in Australia (for most)

jdreitman

I finished building my DJI F550 + WKM about two weeks ago and finally had the chance to fly it over the weekend. I wanted to warn people about a known issue before they go out and purchase this thing. The GPS is known to have issues in the southern hemisphere especially here in Australia. I'm able to get a gps lock on the ground after less than a minute, however as soon as you start to fly, the GPS signal is lost and there is nothing you can do unless you turn the unit off/on again. VERY frustrating.

DJI sent me an email saying they are aware of the problem, and they are sending a technician down to Australia to get it resolved. They did not however commit to a date as to when the technician will arrive. I'm still waiting to hear back from them.

I really hope this issue get's resolved ASAP as at the moment, I've spend a lot of money to essentially be flying with a Naza controller (no GPS).

bummer

RCNut

That sounds weird! Im sure there are other WKM users in AUS but I havent heard of any issues mentioned before. Perhaps they can comment. I'll watch this with interest as the F550 & WKM was a consideration for my next vehicle.

wbrown

I have been flying wkm in aus for 3 months and have only had the gps work a handful of times. When there are plenty of satellites it tends to work better. However when it does lock it does a great job at holding its position.