Best Servo Gimbal for NAZA.

mailman35

hey guys,
so i recently picked up a x468 gimbal, and i do remember in my time here that there are alot of issues with the naza and getting the right servo response.
im going to be mounting the gimbal on a f550 frame with a naza controller.

thanks.

pabloreg

Nice question.. i'm also looking for this answer.

I'm looking also to a gimbal for DJI F450 and F550, i will use with a Nex or GH2.

mailman35

i ended up getting a pair of these, Hitec 32065S HS-65MG.
i got the x468 gimbal that im still in the process of putting together, also picked up a castle creations bec, as well as the programing cable.

jforkner

FWIW. I recently tried a pair of Hitec HS-65HB servos in my x468 Medium Camera Mount and was not happy with the performance---a fair amount of "twitching" and not very smooth motion. I was also using a small point & shoot camera (Canon A620). I switched to a pair of Futaba S3102 servos, and performance improved noticeably. The twitching is gone and the gimbal moves very smoothly. I attribute the improvement,in my case, to the increase in torque (51 oz-in vs. 25 oz-in). The speed of the Futaba is a bit slower (0.25 sec/60* vs. 0.15 sec/60*); but for me, speed was not an issue---it was moving the 10 oz. camera effectively.

I did have to cut out the servo holes in the mount to accommodate the slightly larger servo, but a few minutes with a Dremel took care of that.

Jack

mailman35

doh looks like i will just have to wait and see, ive seen somethings of using 2 capacitors inline to smooth out the response's and stuff.

pabloreg

FWIW. I recently tried a pair of Hitec HS-65HB servos in my x468 Medium Camera Mount and was not happy with the performance---a fair amount of "twitching" and not very smooth motion. I was also using a small point & shoot camera (Canon A620). I switched to a pair of Futaba S3102 servos, and performance improved noticeably. The twitching is gone and the gimbal moves very smoothly. I attribute the improvement,in my case, to the increase in torque (51 oz-in vs. 25 oz-in). The speed of the Futaba is a bit slower (0.25 sec/60* vs. 0.15 sec/60*); but for me, speed was not an issue---it was moving the 10 oz. camera effectively.

I did have to cut out the servo holes in the mount to accommodate the slightly larger servo, but a few minutes with a Dremel took care of that.

Jack

Hi Jack,
Do you have some videos to show? I will apreciate a lot! Thanks!
Pablo

jforkner

Hi Jack,
Do you have some videos to show? I will apreciate a lot! Thanks!
Pablo

Are you looking for a video of the mount in operation or from the camera on board?

Here's a link to a short, pretty dull video using a Nikon V1: https://vimeo.com/43139797. Disclaimer...it was a little breezy, I'm not the smoothest on the sticks yet, and I need to set the camera in manual mode to eliminate the camera's constant adjusting for lighting---that's why there's a slight "flickering".

I'm still not 100% happy with the smoothness of gimbal's operation, and I'm not sure if the problem is the Naza, the gimbal, or the servos. The gimbal is not as precision as I'd like but it works fine for taking still photos---which I do mostly. I'd prefer to have a more rigid gimbal (both the axis movement and the mounting to the frame), but isolated from the motors---I have a few ideas I want to try.

FWIW, my servos are powered by the Naza, not a BEC.

Jack

pabloreg

Are you looking for a video of the mount in operation or from the camera on board?

Here's a link to a short, pretty dull video using a Nikon V1: https://vimeo.com/43139797. Disclaimer...it was a little breezy, I'm not the smoothest on the sticks yet, and I need to set the camera in manual mode to eliminate the camera's constant adjusting for lighting---that's why there's a slight "flickering".

I'm still not 100% happy with the smoothness of gimbal's operation, and I'm not sure if the problem is the Naza, the gimbal, or the servos. The gimbal is not as precision as I'd like but it works fine for taking still photos---which I do mostly. I'd prefer to have a more rigid gimbal (both the axis movement and the mounting to the frame), but isolated from the motors---I have a few ideas I want to try.

FWIW, my servos are powered by the Naza, not a BEC.

Jack

Thanks Jack,
I ask because i'm lookinh to a best servo for this gimbal, i primary will use it to still photos also, but nice video is a great plus.

Thanks

thehatguy

I bought the Go Pro gimbal from Aeroxcraft. I haven't tested the gimbal yet, but Aeroxcraft recommended the Futaba S3154 servos.

Those are what I'll be using.

John

mailman35

i still have yet to finish the x468 it became to much of a PIA to finish and i just havent gotten back to it. altho i have all the parts i think i need.
but the aeroxcraft is cheaper..

chipwich

I've got both and the aeroXcraft landing gear and GoPro gimbal setup is much nicer, bigger, steadier, easier to build, and with great instructions, than the minimal x468. Not that the x468 won't work, but the aeroXcraft is a far superior product IMO. Sealed bearings in the gimbal, counter balancing battery mount, bigger landing gear, etc, in the aeroXcraft.

FWIW, the Futabas might be superior servo, but the HS-65MGs are working pretty smoothly in my rig.

Last edited by a moderator:

chipwich

I use three pieces of Velcro, which came with the aeroXcraft landing gear. I cut one of the two pieces in half and use them vertically at each side of the battery, and take the last longer piece and wrap horizontally around the ends. The piece that wraps laterally also sticks to the vertical pieces and the whole thing is pretty snug. Don't know if it was meant to be that way, but works for me. Hope you can see in the photo.

View attachment 4698

Attachments

• IMG_0293.jpg
    IMG_0293.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 295