Powering the receiver without using a dedicated battery pack

Billzilla

I'm very new to the RC scene and am not sure how to power the receiver (Hitec Aurora radio gear with a 7-channel receiver) by using the main 4S battery pack. There's a power plug that comes off the little black box that the LED flashes from and goes into the Naza FC, I guess there's some kind of y-connector you can get to do it?
I'd like to get rid of the extra mass of the 4 AA battery pack if possible.

Billzilla

Just thinking ....... it's got a switch like this in it -

3wireswitch.jpg

That should do it ...... yes? The power from the black box/LED thing going into the female plug and one male connector goes into the Naza and the other into the receiver?

GotHeliRC

http://gothelirc.com
Hi Bill,

Your NAZA come with a voltage regulator already (VU), small black box with a small LED on it). That is what should be powering your Naza and RX at the same time. Hook this inline with your board.

Do not use that switch... that could intermit and cause a lock out.

Billzilla

Hi!
So how do I get power from the Naza to the RX? The only spare port I can see is the one marked 'EXP' in this diagram.
If that's the one then I just use a short cable to go from that port to the SPC port on the RX?

Attachments

• Naza.jpg
    Naza.jpg
    150.8 KB · Views: 240

Tomstoy2

The v-sen feeds power into the naza buss which then feeds power into the reciever thru the connection wires attached from the reciever to Naza.

Billzilla

So no need to plug anything into the SPC port on the RX? The RX gets power somehow else?
(The diagram in the radio gear manual seemed to show that power could be fed through the #3 servo port, but that didn't seem to make sense .... ?)

RCNut

When you plug the short cables from the 4 channel outputs on your receiver into the A,E,T & R inputs on the Naza, +5v is automatically supplied back to the RX through the same leads. The leads have 3 wires, +ve, -ve and signal. So once you connect the Naza and receiver together the receiver is powered automatically from your 4S Lipo through the Naza system.

Billzilla

When you plug the short cables from the 4 channel outputs on your receiver into the A,E,T & R inputs on the Naza, +5v is automatically supplied back to the RX through the same leads. The leads have 3 wires, +ve, -ve and signal. So once you connect the Naza and receiver together the receiver is powered automatically from your 4S Lipo through the Naza system.

Well that's simple - thanks, I'll give it a try right now.

Tomstoy2

Correct, you will have no issue.

A buss is basically a metal bar, one for positive and one for negative. So, powering up the bars in the Naza from the v-sen will feed power to the bars in the reciever when plugged into the Naza.

Always best to ask if you don't understand something.

RCNut

The Naza wont acknowledge the receiver connection until the receiver is locked onto the transmitter. You will need your transmitter on and, if its a 2.4 GHz system, the transmitter and receiver will need to be bound together. Once the receiver is getting a valid signal from the transmitter the Naza will detect it.

Billzilla

The Naza wont acknowledge the receiver connection until the receiver is locked onto the transmitter. You will need your transmitter on and, if its a 2.4 GHz system, the transmitter and receiver will need to be bound together. Once the receiver is getting a valid signal from the transmitter the Naza will detect it.

The RX was bound when I ran the dedicated battery.
It's just not getting power for some reason. When it was on the dedicated battery it showed up immediately on the TX, it's not doing that now.

Billzilla

Just plugged the 6V battery back into the RX, it linked and worked fine.
It's just not getting power by the other method for some reason.

RCNut

You have the channel leads connected the correct way round? The lighter wire should be signal and the darker wire should be ground (-ve). The +ve is the one in the middle.

Billzilla

Solved it - I just remembered that when I first got the RX it had a little plug sticking out of the SPC port. I plugged that back in, instead of connecting the 6v battery up, and it's now powered by the main 4S battery.
Problem solved!
Thanks for the help gents.