DJI F550 hex (battery, charger/power supply) combination

Hi,

After a few weeks of jumping in and out of forums and youtube, I recently took the plunge and purchased a popular hex (DJI F550 w/ Naza) that will be controlled by a JR 9503 Tx.
We're looking to get into the next stage of multi-rotors and had a builder of Arial photography properly build and program the kit.

What suggestions can be offered to us about the following combination?

I had asked him advice to suggest combinations in the higher end of products for our heli's and this current F550.

The product combination may be too much for some, but he kindly answered my specific question.
Our DJI F550 kit includes a (long 20 min flight time) 4s 6000mAh battery and is stated below.
A few products were also recommended, but I insisted on a higher end of charger/ power supply combo just to see what was out there.

I currently own batteries for a Blade MQX quad, Blade SR heli and some other randoms.

SUGGESTED High end combo below:

- 4s 6000 mAh Lipo battery.
- (Thunder power) TP820CD DC 1-8 Cell Lipo 20A Dual Port Charger w/ balancer.
- COMMON SENSE RC AC Power Supply - 500 Watts - 42 Amps.

Thanks!

Tomstoy2

That's all good stuff, buddy!
There's one thing that holds true about this hobby, you get what you pay for. Buy it right, buy it once.

Himhoe

I also have that hex, it flies great! I also have been into large electric helicopters for some time now. I currently am charging with the TP820CD and love it! I use 2 HP 47a server power supplies in series to power the charger and take full advantage of the output wattage. One thing to consider is the chargers max output and what it needs to attain it. The 820 requires you to have 28 volts and over 43a of current before it will output the full 800w. So making sure you have a power supply that will give you the full potential of the charger is important also. The PS you're looking at will not give you great results as it is under powered for the chargers potential, granted you are not charging 5s-8s batteries. I would look at doing a DIY Server Power supply conversion like what I did, It works great and I think I have all of about $75-$100 into my whole power supply system!
View attachment 3643View attachment 3644View attachment 3645View attachment 3646

I have had a lot of experience with the hyperion chargers, they work great also, they just balance too slow for my liking. The TP and iChargers use a 500mAh balance current. The only other charger that I have used but do not own is a FMA Powerlab. This is a beast of a charger! 40a and 1344watts is great but the main draw back for me is the single output, I'm not a believer in parallel charging, I've tried it and didn't like the end results. So for me the TP820 was the ticket! TP also has a new 1430 charger that will do 14cells at 30a with 1000w of total output power. But like tomstoy2 said "buy it right, buy it once!"

Good luck with your Hexa...

Attachments

• IMG_0142.jpg
    IMG_0142.jpg
    141.6 KB · Views: 369
  • IMG_0839.jpg
    IMG_0839.jpg
    135.9 KB · Views: 383
  • IMG_0842.jpg
    IMG_0842.jpg
    145.2 KB · Views: 397
  • IMG_0848.jpg
    IMG_0848.jpg
    149.9 KB · Views: 363
Last edited by a moderator:

hjls3

Guessing you had Patrick build the 550. What a great guy! I have done the same and have had a phenomenal experience dealing with him. I have purchased the very same power supply and battery. I will be using a Turnigy charger though. Will get everything in my hands this week. Cant wait. Hope you enjoy your setup as much as I am going to mine.

Guessing you had Patrick build the 550. same power supply and battery. I will be using a Turnigy charger though. Will get everything in my hands this week. Cant wait. Hope you enjoy your setup as much as I am going to mine.
You nailed it!
I'm going to review his f550 build kit sometime after a month.
Question....Why the same buy (charger) but now switching to different?

Thanks.

hjls3

You nailed it!
I'm going to review his f550 build kit sometime after a month.
Question....Why the same buy (charger) but now switching to different?

Thanks.

I had already spent a bit more than I wanted too on this build. I am going to have Patrick build me a big copter this month (todo some filming with), saving some funds for that. I have a charger here at the house but wanted to upgrade a bit. He had the Turnigy 400w used and offered to sell it to me. THe charger you got is awesome. Maybe after I have the big copter built, I will upgrade to that one. I too will give the F550 a good review after I have it for a while. Patrick sure deserves the good feedback.

mailman35

i just ordered a f550 with a gimbal
i picked up the artf kit but im replacing the stock motors with 2814 1250kv sunny skys's and grapners or xoars :p just need to get some higher aH 4's

mailman35

question regarding the lipo choice, i just picked up a 550, doing a motor upgrade but i was looking at a bigger battery as well, i see the HK has some 8.4aH's that should do the job for some decent flight times and all.

worbc

Hi everyone, I'm new to this forum after looking around for a bit. I'm retired military having worked with UAVs for a long time. I'm in the middle of building a DJI F550 with the Wookong M system and plan to control with with the DX8. I have a camera gamble slung under, and plan to use it for photography and videos in a weekend business. I've also purchased a Dragonflyer X6 to the same but also demonstrate to the local police and first responders. As you all know there is a renewed interest in these sort of systems for officer protection and safety.

If I may, I have some questions concerning setting the Spektrum DX8 up with the Wookong M system. Does anyone have experience they can share with me? I'm having issues, currently getting the mode (GPS, Altitude, Manual) to work right using the F-Mode 3 position switch. In the software, when you are on that screen, I toggle the F-mode switch, but the positions are correct in the slide bar. I have the software installed on the computer, connection made to the MC, DX8 is bound to the Receiver and the Telemetry transmitter is working, motors installed, connected to the ECUs, lower frame wheel, arms, and upper frame wheel all installed. I have not finalized the PCU, IMU, MC, LED indicator, reciever, nor GPS, wanting to make sure everything is connected correctly and working and then I’ll tape/bolt everything in place with CG in mind.

Does anyone have a setup guide for the DX8 to Wookong M system? I have the individual guides already, and although I build satellites for a living, these systems are more complicated. :)

Thanks for your time, and I do apologize if these subject is already discussed someone on the forum but I searched and didn’t located anything.

--terry

I'm having issues, currently getting the mode (GPS, Altitude, Manual) to work right using the F-Mode 3 position switch. In the software, when you are on that screen, I toggle the F-mode switch, but the positions are correct in the slide bar. Thanks for your time, and I do apologize if these subject is already discussed someone on the forum but I searched and didn’t located anything.

--terry

Did you mean to say "But the positions are NOT CORRECT"? If it is showing the positions opposite in the software, when flipping your mode switch. Then you can simply reverse that channel in your transmitter. Go to the Servo Menu, the select the REVERSE option. Then select your FMODE channel, and reverse it. See if that works. I am not sure I am understanding your problem correctly.

Mailman,

As far as lipo choice, I use a 4S 6000mAh. Gives me great amount of flight time, and the hexa lifts it fine. Just dont get a small 2200 or something. 4000mAh - 6000mAh will work fine.

worbc

Thanks Patrick, in the Tx Cal screen, item number 5, I have three positions GPS, A, and then M. when I position the F-mode Swtich in the center, it aligns nicely with "A" and I get a message in the lower corner of the GUI that says "automatic", however when I position the switch in teh first or last position, the pointer doesn't aling with the GPS, nor the M modes and in the lower corner of the GUI, i see the message "fail safe". How do I align the pointer under the GPS and M modes?

--terry

Thanks Patrick, in the Tx Cal screen, item number 5, I have three positions GPS, A, and then M. when I position the F-mode Swtich in the center, it aligns nicely with "A" and I get a message in the lower corner of the GUI that says "automatic", however when I position the switch in teh first or last position, the pointer doesn't aling with the GPS, nor the M modes and in the lower corner of the GUI, i see the message "fail safe". How do I align the pointer under the GPS and M modes?

--terry

To get it to show properly for the GPS and M position. Put the switch in the desired position. Say GPS, then go to your Servo screen-Travel. Adjust the travel End Point so that it will make the arrow fall on the GPS section. Then put the swith to Manual, and adjust the travel in that direction also. I had to lower my travel adjustment to approx 85%. Hope that helps.

worbc

I've been to that screen, how do I select the right (F-Mode) switch / servo, they all appear to be in there? I was wondering if that was where to fix it...

I've been to that screen, how do I select the right (F-Mode) switch / servo, they all appear to be in there? I was wondering if that was where to fix it...

I hope this descibes it correct.

First, you need to select an ACRo model in your Radio.

Next you need to Assign the F-Mode switch on your radio, to an Aux ch of your receiever.

To do this, Hold down the SCROLL WHEEL on the DX8 while you turn the radio on. Scroll down till you see SWITCH SELECT. press that, then, Scroll down to F-Mode. Assign eith Aux 2 or Aux 3 to the F-mode switch (make sure that is the Aux ch being used from your Reciever to the Wookong)

Now go to main menu. Select the SERVO SETUP, then go to TRAVEL. You will now see the slider move on the DX8 for your AUX 2 or AUX 3 when you opperate the F-MODE. Now adjust the Corresponding travel of that Channel in your DX8.

Does that make sense? Hope that helps and solves the problem.

worbc

Excellent, thanks, I'll give it a try later this afternoon when I get home. I have done all the suggested except for the "travel". Thanks and I'll update you afterwards.

--terry