DJI WKM best esc's?

wbrown

I have a cinestar 6 which is flying quite well. Only at this stage it wobbles and vibrates upon changing to atti mode or gps mode.
This happens with camera on or off. Canon 7d making quite a difference to the weight.

I have done plenty on re-calibrations and gain setting changes and still nothing makes the slightest difference.

The next thing i'm thinking of trying is some different esc's. I have heard of other users getting better results upon changing to Maytech and the likes.

What are the best suited esc's for multirotors using wkm or what are likely to be worth waiting for in the future?

Regards

Will

Will, as I have been searching for the same as you for a while...

First realize that the DJI system is not aiming for stability, it is trying to hold position above all else.

1. Correct COG measurements are very important.
2. Smaller props perform always better on DJI WKm.
3. Set your gains on your TX and experiment (different weather requires different settings)
4. Flash your esc's with simonk firmware (http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1513678)
5. Most esc's (maytech) are made in the same factory. Buy the cheepest nfet esc's you can find. (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AhR02IDNb7_MdEhfVjk3MkRHVzhKdjU1YzdBQkZZRlE#gid=0)

Keep in mind that there is no free ride.

Last edited by a moderator:

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
What I have found to work the best on my CS6 is a set of DYS 30 amp ESCs reflashed with the fastPWM firmware. I have tried standard DYS along with Maytech V1, and I keep coming back to the reflashed ESCs. The biggest difference is apparent in the wind, the fastPWM firmware removes a lot of the twitchiness caused by the ATTI mode and windy conditions. The biggest advantage I found to the Maytechs is they have a 16 kHZ oscillator and you can change the update frequency to the motors to a full 16 kHZ which makes the motors less noisy and seems to smooth the overall response somewhat which is why they work well with the WKM and big frames/motors.

The other piece is to find the best all around basic pitch and roll gain settings and then keep the ATTI pitch and roll gains on a TX slider so you can adjust to any changes in wind while in flight, so far that plus the reflashed ESCs has produced the best results so far with the CineStar and AV130 camera mount. The problem now is that most of the Chinese ESC plants are switching from the Atmel processor to Silabs for which there is no fastPWM software yet, so the days of reflashing the cheap ESCs is numbered until someone does come up with firmware for the newer versions. I have a full set of spares just in case...

Ken

Kari

I've been discussing with maytech support of my faulty V1:s today and yesterday, and i am going to step on and not using their products anymore. They are not taking any responsibility of V2 issues we know either...

I just got a brand new set of simonk flashed 30A hobbyking blueseries escs waiting for testing, but first i will try just regular hobbywing 40A pentiums. I somehow would feel more secure using hobbywings with factory fw but i'm quite sure simonk flashed will work better, time will tell. I'm feeling unsure using 30A escs with my qc3328 motors which are rated 30A. I'm actually thinking of buying set of tiger motors rated for 25A to use instead qc3328. I really don't know if there is even any real diffence between these two motors or are they actually exact same motor?

I hope someone would share soon experience how herkules setup is working in hexa compared to flashed cheapos.

Kari

Last edited by a moderator:

Kari

I've been playing around couple of dayn now with regular Hobbywing 40A pentiums and i think they are best esc:s with factory firmware yet i have tried. For me they perform better than Maytech V1:s, but i have not yet tested yet Simonk flashed ones.

Here is footage from first flight with pentiums, no post stabilation added.
http://vimeo.com/39437069