Cost Per Flight

matwelli

Have an interesting scenario developing, there is a chance in my current day job, to bring some inspection work by multicopter into play, and i need to work out what the cost per flight is, the final figure blows me away

I worked it out like this, based on a lightweight quad, running a gopro hero2, fpv, telemetry, OSD/GPS and a decent transmitter
I figure on doing 100 flights per year, and replacing the frame/fpv/telemetry every year(stuff wears out/breaks), the go-pro every year, the TX and charger every two years

so total replacement cost per year is $2450 (NZD)
divided by 100 flights = $24.50 per flight

now the extra per flight costs, based on replacing motors/esc's every 100 flights, props every 20 flights and battery every 50 flights = $6

so all up $30.50 per flight, or $3.81 per minute !

does that sound right / trying to be realistic and working on stacking it into the ground once per year

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
japp one could probably add in the camera gimbal usage also having to change servos after a certain amount of usage. But i think you are going for hard mounted in your calculation ?

Boris

Kilby

100 flights and your motors & esc's need to be replaced? 20 flights / set of props? If that were the case I'd be ordering new props every week! Why such a high turn over rate? Sounds high to me. Just my 2cents.

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
japp i have to agree 20 flights change props in the case of 50 60 euro CF props i would already be a poor man ! Graupners i don have to keep on for a long time ! Probably 40 50 flight with the CX and no probs

matwelli

i figured a set of 4 cheap props ($2 each)every 20 flights to be safe, if i use something more spendy, say APC at $7 each, then maybe 60 flights, but the cost will be similar. need to have a safe flight time within which they will be swapped before failure.

problem is, can anyone tell me what the failure rate is ? from Gary Mortimer he has found the cheap esc's (such as hobbywing/turnigy) are good for around 100 flights

Lipos, figured on 50 cycles before retiring to the fun flying bin.

If I jig the numbers around, and rely on gear lasting longer between upgrades, cost drops down to $20 per flight ($16 USD) but if i have a couple of bad crashes, will be out of pocket. I also need to alowing for the cost of time doing maintenance, keeping log books etc

Anyway, its a figure to start on :)

Efliernz

Pete
Mat

Buy some good props!

My APC's on the hexa had 15 hours on them and they are still working well. I wouldn't use anything less for AP flying.

I budget for a total loss once a year. I have lost 3 AP heli's in nearly 6 six years so that is good... but the loss of a diy machine is so much less than a commercial turn-key build. The chance of losing "everything" is also minimum.

50 uses of a lipo (carrying a camera) I link is about right.

Pete