Show me your power distribution method - I need to find a new way...

dma251

I am getting ready to install the Turnigy Plush 30 escs on my XA Hexa, and am thinking there might be a better way out there to distribute power then how I've done it in the past few multis.

Typically I would solder together 7-8 JST female connectors to an inch or two of 12 gauge wire with a battery connector on the end and then heat shrink everything up nice and pretty.

Although I haven't picked up my Plush 30 escs yet from the post office, I think the wire may be a bit too large for a JST connector. What is the preferred method for connecting the ESC's? Just straight solder them in? I guess that makes sense, but is it the right move?

I also need to wire into the mess a jst connector for my telemetry, a second jst for my leds, and I'd like a third spare just in case... A lot of wires!

RCNut

Plugs add resistance and create heat at high current draws so unless you're planning on changing ESCs in the field I'd avoid using plugs on the ESCs. Turnigy Plush ESCs are pretty reliable so unless you're pushing them hard, failures should be rare. Additionally JSTs are OK for the small currents of your FPV, telemetry or LEDs but I wouldn't recommend them for anything that draws more than a couple of Amps.

For minimum voltage drop between the battery and the ESC's, I'd suggest soldering the wires together or to a pair of common terminal points (one for +ve and one for -ve of course), then solder your main battery connector wires to the same common point.

If you don't have a pair of terminal points to solder them to, bring all the positives together and bind them with a strand of wire, then solder them together. See image below from rcexplorer.se. This method works well with minimal voltage drop. Do the same for your negative wires, add your battery connector (either directly to the joints or via heavy gauge pigtail wires) and heat shrink each joint to insulate it and to provide mechanical strength.

View attachment 2954

Attachments

• tricopter8.jpg
    tricopter8.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 310

AIRCONROB

I am getting ready to install the Turnigy Plush 30 escs on my XA Hexa, and am thinking there might be a better way out there to distribute power then how I've done it in the past few multis.

Typically I would solder together 7-8 JST female connectors to an inch or two of 12 gauge wire with a battery connector on the end and then heat shrink everything up nice and pretty.

Although I haven't picked up my Plush 30 escs yet from the post office, I think the wire may be a bit too large for a JST connector. What is the preferred method for connecting the ESC's? Just straight solder them in? I guess that makes sense, but is it the right move?

I also need to wire into the mess a jst connector for my telemetry, a second jst for my leds, and I'd like a third spare just in case... A lot of wires!

Hope this helps.
View attachment 2955View attachment 2956

Cheers

Rob

Attachments

• 2011-11-06 21.34.40.jpg
    2011-11-06 21.34.40.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 303
  • Frame wiring 2.jpg
    Frame wiring 2.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 301

cptmpt

I built my own spider. I used 10awg for the batteries and 12awg for 8 connectors (6for the ESCs, 1 for the WKM, and 1 spare) and some smaller 16awg for led lights. I soldered it all together, then wrapped it with electrical tape, deprecated the two with a non-conductive piece of plastic, then wrapped the positive and negative together. I'm happy with the results for my first stab at seething like this.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1330438061.413598.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1330438061.413598.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 336
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1330438082.177940.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1330438082.177940.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 216
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1330438101.986195.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1330438101.986195.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 258
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1330438132.787653.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1330438132.787653.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 426

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
Here's what I've been doing recently...

IMG_2033a.jpg

IMG_2034a.jpg

Before that, similar idea but a bit of a pain with the center hole being blocked by the board...

DSC00455A.jpg

Ken

rwilabee

Here is a couple of shots of the Xaircraft Hexa I just finished. Everything is solder no plugs from ESC's to the motors. The smaller wires with the two prong plugs are my LED's on each arm and of course the other standard servo plugs will go to the WKM. My Avroto motors had nice long wires on them which made for a clean install.

RichView attachment 2964View attachment 2965

Attachments

• IMG_0003.jpg
    IMG_0003.jpg
    148.3 KB · Views: 221
  • IMG_0023.jpg
    IMG_0023.jpg
    150.1 KB · Views: 268
Last edited by a moderator:

dma251

Well, this is what I came up with. I soldered together 6 ESCs to a 3xPowerpole connector pair, this way I can plug one or two batteries in, and one set is for my WKM. There is also a set of 3 JST female connectors ca'd together and heat shrunk for my LED's and the telemetry plug on my Spektrum Rx.

I applied an adhesive cable-tie mount on the back of each ESC, and cable-tied them to the CF lower frame plate of the Hexa. I have found that since I am constantly changing equipment from frame to frame, using the cable-tie mounts is a very easy way to fasten something down to the frame.

Thanks for all your pics and suggestions!
View attachment 4365View attachment 4366View attachment 4367View attachment 4368View attachment 4369View attachment 4370View attachment 4371

yoadrian

Does anyone know if the Flamewheel F550's lower frame board will substitute in for the XA X650. They look pretty similar and the Flamewheel has a built in power distribution on that board. Just can't find actual dimensions.

yeehaanow

On my beater/testing quad I originally used the crimp ring method but I couldn't put the esc's where I wanted, so I ran some noodle wire around and spliced into it without cutting. It only needs to go around 3/4 the way.

View attachment 3050View attachment 3051

Attachments

• Wiring2.jpg
    Wiring2.jpg
    142.1 KB · Views: 244
  • Wiring1.jpg
    Wiring1.jpg
    147.7 KB · Views: 241