Running software on Mac with Parallels / F550 help

Is there anybody running the Naza software on a Mac with Parallels? I plug the VU via USB into the laptop, power up the 550 and get the green light on the Vu. When I try to run the "Driver Setup.bat" file, I get a very fast CMD window...so fast I can't tell what it's saying...then nothing. I'm using the 64bit software. Any input is greatly appreciated! This is my first multi...so I may have more questions later.

Thanks

Ok...so after much trial and error I ended up uninstalling and reinstalling the software and finally got it loaded. Now I need to figure out how to use the program.

sturner6

FYI, that momentary CMD window appearing and disappearing in a virtual windows program (I use Vmware Fusion) is nothing to worry about and not indicative of a problem. It is an annoying aspects of a virtual windows system but doesn't mean there is an issue...unless it stays open on your screen...so drivers probably loaded fine the first time you did it.

Curious...are you planning to run your Naza assistant thru Parallels?

WillM

For what it is worth, I have a MacBook Pro and Parallels with a 32-bit Windows XP partition. I do all of my NAZA programming with this laptop, but I use Bootcamp, not parallels. I find that Bootcamp is faster and a bit less fussy, especially when USB devices are used.

Glad to know that it works with Parallels though!

Hi sturner6...yes, i do plan on running Naza through Parallels. Do you see an issue with doing it that way? Thanks for the info on the CMD prompt!

N720HP

So.....the Naza won't work with a Mac?
I don't recall seeing that specific requirement (Windows only) in any of the Naza information that is available on the web.
I ask because I just ordered a F550 and have an MacBook.

Kilby

N720HP, unless you see a statement that a particular bit of software does work on a Mac, you should assume that it doesn't. It sucks, but that's still the world we live in (at least for a few more years).

I use the DJI software on a Mac with Parallels and WinXP 32bit. Never had a problem with that, or any of the other PC only MR software i've had to run before.

-Terry

sturner6

So.....the Naza won't work with a Mac?
I don't recall seeing that specific requirement (Windows only) in any of the Naza information that is available on the web.
I ask because I just ordered a F550 and have an MacBook.

DJI software is not available in Mac compatible format BUT you can use it on a Mac by simply getting a virtual windows software program like VMware Fusion or Parellels. It's simpy a program that will create a "virtual" windows environment wihtin a window on your Mac (ie: you don't have to shut down the Mac OS to run it, the way you would if you were to run BootCamp. These virtual windows programs work VERY well if your Mac is intel based.

My experience using virtual windows (VMware Fusion...same as Parallels) on a Mac OS is that any windows compatible software runs just fine within that virtual windows environment. In essence, when you are in Fusion or Parallels, you are totally within a Windows environment, so for all practical purposes, the software you are trying to run "thinks" it's being run on a PC, not a Mac. Now, I'm not so sure that would be the case if you using Boot Camp. FWIW...I use Windows XP (32 bit). I don't know if dji software is intended to work in a 64-bit OS.

Last edited by a moderator:

tstrike

pendejo grande
I had no copys of any windows op disc available to me so I was about to bite the bullet and buy Win home vers. and install via bootcamp. For a hundred dollars more I was able to buy a new hp laptop running W7. Another hit to my budget but now I have a dedicated laptop for MC's.

WillM

Sorry, but it is true. The NAZA Assistant software is Windows ONLY. No Mac, no Linux, etc.

As others said, the Assistant software can be run from a Mac or Linux computer, IF you have a virtual Windows OS setup.

There are several pieces of virtual machine software, however you will still need a Windows OS installation disc and valid license.

The cheapest solution is likely to buy an old Windows XP laptop.

Personally, I would LOVE a hand-held programmer, or better yet, an iPhone or iPad app. Would make programming in the field so much easier & faster.

Curious...are you planning to run your Naza assistant thru Parallels?

So, I'm very excited to say that I was successful in programming the Naza through Parallels on my Mac! Now if the wind would just stop blowing around Denver I can try getting it off the ground.