Aerial Photo taking by Wookong Multi-Rotor

erictsn

Dear All,

I would like to ask, can the log data(IMU) of the DJI black box be exported? I planned to using it for taking an aerial photo and process it for producing an orthophoto. So that the log data is important for post-processing. Thanks.

Eric

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
Dear All,

I would like to ask, can the log data(IMU) of the DJI black box be exported? I planned to using it for taking an aerial photo and process it for producing an orthophoto. So that the log data is important for post-processing. Thanks.

Eric

No, there is no access to the internal operations and data of the IMU. If you want to use GPS and/or flight data with aerial photos you will need a separate system on board that has telemetry capability like most of the OSD systems have.

Ken

sturner6

Dear All,

Eric

Perhaps a compact data-logger would be solution for you since you don't really need real-time telemetry for your intended application...I use a Holux M-241 unit which is a 32-channel gps receiver/data logger about the size of an old fashioned 35mm film canister and weighing 39 grams (plus aa battery). This particular unit is the most compact and reliable unit I could find for AP from manned helicopters and it has worked perfectly providing reliable accurate data that you can easily time sync and tag to your images in post-production. Some of the more experienced members here might be able to tell you if it would cause any issues with on-board electronics but I would guess not since it's only a receiver. It's powered by a aa battery but probably could be powered from on-board source to save weight.

more info: http://www.holux.com/JCore/en/produc...nt.jsp?pno=341

Last edited by a moderator:

mailman35

Perhaps a compact data-logger would be solution for you since you don't really need real-time telemetry for your intended application...I use a Holux M-241 unit which is a 32-channel gps receiver/data logger about the size of an old fashioned 35mm film canister and weighing 39 grams (plus aa battery). This particular unit is the most compact and reliable unit I could find for AP from manned helicopters and it has worked perfectly providing reliable accurate data that you can easily time sync and tag to your images in PostPro.. Some of the more experienced members here might be able to tell you if it would cause any issues with on-board electronics but I would guess not since it's only a receiver. It's powered by a aa battery but probably could be powered from on-board source to save weight.

more info: http://www.holux.com/JCore/en/produc...nt.jsp?pno=341

wow thats cheap under 70$

sturner6

wow thats cheap under 70$

It IS cheap for a 32 channel receiver that's waas-enabled and blue-toothed, but more important it is totally reliable and precise. The only issue I have is with the provided software (which is horrible and only useful for updating firmware). I use third party software for syncing & tagging, HoodahGeo: http://www.houdah.com/houdahGeo/ which is a complete geocoding solution but it's only for Mac. There are plenty of PC alternatives though, probably just as good.

sturner6

Could you give me a little bit of info on your workflow? What sort of timecode does the unit work with? How do you assure synch before takeoff?
I only use it for still photography so workflow is pretty straight-forward...just transfer log data to your geocoding software via Bluetooth or usb, and point the software to your folder of images. Geo-data (lat-lon-alt) are embedded in image file metadata using image's timestamp as a sync reference to the logger's timestamp.

I have not used for video but the logger's data is exportable in many different formats including basic asc so I'm guessing there should be a way to get it into Premiere or Aperture in a fairly easy way. I am going to have to figure this out myself soon because I have some video shoots coming up and should know that. I'll post what I find out, and if you learn more maybe you could do same :)

PS: As mentioned in original post, do not use Holux's free software except for firmware updates; it's total trash. Buy a 3rd party geocoding program; HoodahGeo is terrific on a mac.

Last edited by a moderator:

vislaw

Thanks so much. I'll definitely share what I learn. We do a lot of sync work with video so I'm excited to see what all this baby spits out!