How hard can you push APC SF props?

Skysurf

How fast are you guys spinning your APC slow flyer props? The recommended limit of 65000/diameter in inches=max RPM is very limiting.

How much are you guys lifting with the 12x3.8SF and the 14x4.7SF?

Can anyone recommend an alternative to the the APC 14x4.7SF

Thanks,

Jesper

GotHeliRC

http://gothelirc.com
We are using 12x3.8sf with a hexacopter (910kv motor, 3s lipo). Lifting about 11lbs RTF, it seem to handle it no problem.

Skysurf

So many things to go wrong in flight why add prop failure to the list?

I agree, but at the same time we have been very happy with the performance of thee props. Has anyone ever had one of theses props (APC slow flyer) fail?

We have been spinning the 12x3.8 SF at RPMs over the recommended limit for countless hours without any problems on hexas weighing around 6kg.

I would like to try the 14x4.7 SF on an okto with an AUW of about 10kg, has anyone tried this?

Thanks again,

Jesper

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
Ive dumped my apc 12x3.8's in the ground so many times I gave up counting. They dont show any signs of breaking. They might get brittle in really cold areas but so do all props. I can only say a few negative things about APC... they are inconsistant, they need to be checked on a balancer, the SF props flex a lot more than desired. But i still love them. Graupners are slightly better in the vibration realm but they have much less lift per equivalent length. Buy all of them and try them all. the ones you dont use will be back ups.

Skysurf

I agree with you that the APCs are a pain to get balanced, especially since the drilled hole is not centered.... I have tried a lot of props, and now I would really like to try the 14x4.7 SF on our new okto. However, I don't know if I am pushing it to far, the okto weighs 7kg without payload and as much as 11kg with payload. I really do not feel like damaging it due to an in-flight prop failure.

/Jesper

Skysurf

Thanks for the input. I have now flown the okto at an AUW of just over 11kg using the APC 14x4.7 SF and it flies great (light wind conditions). I am very happy with how it performed in these conditions. I wish someone would make a similar prop out of carbon with a slightly lager diameter hub.
I am going to continue flying it like this but it's probably going to take a few flights before I trust the props completely.

/Jesper

GotHeliRC

http://gothelirc.com
I wonder how much of a market for props this big... if there's a good market we can ask our supplier to make some CF one.