Erratic takeoff

srbell

I'm a mutirotor/DJI newbie so bear with me. I've got a WooKong M mounting in a Scarab Carbon Ysiix. On takeoff in Atti mode it's pretty sketchy. It wants to tip over so I need to apply a fair bit of correction. After it's a couple of feet in the air it's stable. Is this normal? I can get used to it, just wanted to check that maybe I'm missing something. I have my gain settings all at 100%. Thanks!

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
I've had this on all my helis so far. Its kind of a leap of faith. I have heard others not have this problem but I think part of is ground effect. It's not the same landing, you should be able to come down slow and smooth. Just hit the throttle hard enough to get it 3 feet in the air and you should be fine.

vislaw

I agree with IrisAerial (the 'leap of faith' comment made me chuckle). In my experience, when I lift off very slowly I'll often get a "roll or pitch" that requires correction due to the ground effect and/or the influence of part of the frame being in contact with the ground as the autopilot tries to stabilize. As you noted, once you are airborne everything settles quickly. I'm sure people more skilled than me can lift off "like butter" but I just "pop" it up pretty quickly to avoid the ground effect you describe.

Gunter

Draganflyer X4
Try take of from a level surface. If its slightly on the c0ck it's probably trying to level itself.

Regards,

Gunter.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

srbell

Thanks for the replies! That's kind of what I thought from heli experience. I've got a little cpx blade that requires you take off without any input what soever lol. That was a little hard to get my head around. Wouldn't want to do that with my trex 600 Though lol.

jffry7

aka TruckBasher
My wookong can take off slowly but my basic gains are a bit high and atti is low. However like others said I have a different controller APM if you take off slow it reach to a point that sensors get confuse then it flips but if I take the "leap of faith" as they say it will fly just find. Well good for us we came from heli so we know how that feels :dejection:

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
I'm a mutirotor/DJI newbie so bear with me. I've got a WooKong M mounting in a Scarab Carbon Ysiix. On takeoff in Atti mode it's pretty sketchy. It wants to tip over so I need to apply a fair bit of correction. After it's a couple of feet in the air it's stable. Is this normal? I can get used to it, just wanted to check that maybe I'm missing something. I have my gain settings all at 100%. Thanks!

All the gain settings being at 100% is the problem, I have 4 DJI flight controllers, 2 WKM and 2 Naza, and not one of them will fly right at default settings, including the Naza f450 kit. I recommend you increase the basic pitch and roll gains to at least 150% and decrease the ATTI gains to 80%, I think you'll find it a lot more stable on takeoff and in flight as well. It would help to know what your entire setup is, motors, props, battery, RTF weight, and the overall motor to motor distance, without that it's a guessing game on where the gains might need to be.

Ken

DennyR

As a general rule I never take off from the ground. I prefer to hand launch. Nothing is worst for getting dust on you lens or inside where you don't want dust. Fine dust gets everywhere. And who needs it anyway?

Whenever I see a video that shows more that 5 seconds of grass and lift off I just turn it off. Simple edit cut can stop that. Holgar never takes off from the ground! It is basic aerial photography stuff.

Last edited by a moderator:

srbell

All the gain settings being at 100% is the problem, I have 4 DJI flight controllers, 2 WKM and 2 Naza, and not one of them will fly right at default settings, including the Naza f450 kit. I recommend you increase the basic pitch and roll gains to at least 150% and decrease the ATTI gains to 80%, I think you'll find it a lot more stable on takeoff and in flight as well. It would help to know what your entire setup is, motors, props, battery, RTF weight, and the overall motor to motor distance, without that it's a guessing game on where the gains might need to be.

Ken
This is my setup:
http://www.multiwiicopter.com/products/carbon-scarab-ysiixkopta-12mm-airframe-y6-hexcopter-multiwii
I've stayed with the recommended motors, speed control and props. The only difference is the all up weight because of my camera mount and telemetry gear. Weight is 1.79 Kg, that includes a 2700mah 4 cell and a 1600mah 3 cell for video. I could go with a lot lighter battery for vid though.