Monitoring LiPo Voltage

vislaw

Is there a better solution for monitoring LiPo voltage in flight than simply relying upon the LED warnings and built-in low-voltage protections of the WKM? I had assumed the WKM downlink would provide battery status along with the flight telemetry but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Being new to this field I want to learn as much as possible about the best practices for flying in order to get maximum flight time while maintaining safety. Thus, I would greatly appreciate having any of you share with me how best to avoid "running out of juice" unexpectedly in mid-flight.

Thanks as always.

rwilabee

I know how long it takes for my lipo to get down to 80% of it's capacity so I set my timer on the transmitter to go off at that time.

Rich

Is there a better solution for monitoring LiPo voltage in flight than simply relying upon the LED warnings and built-in low-voltage protections of the WKM? I had assumed the WKM downlink would provide battery status along with the flight telemetry but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Being new to this field I want to learn as much as possible about the best practices for flying in order to get maximum flight time while maintaining safety. Thus, I would greatly appreciate having any of you share with me how best to avoid "running out of juice" unexpectedly in mid-flight.

Thanks as always.

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
Nothing beats knowing your max time and taking a minute or two off to be safe. But I also use a really loud alarm. Which is not very helpful if you are high up.

jffry7

aka TruckBasher
Wouldn't it have issues with 2.4 Tx. I know 2.4 TX and 2.4 downlink for video is not advisable as it causes random issues. The link seems to show 2.4 JR with this not sure if its only for JR but unlucky me i am futaba. Like Iris I have done initial determination of the max time and I did optimize my volt alarm on the FC so I constantly use only 75-85%

vislaw

Wouldn't it have issues with 2.4 Tx. I know 2.4 TX and 2.4 downlink for video is not advisable as it causes random issues. The link seems to show 2.4 JR with this not sure if its only for JR but unlucky me i am futaba. Like Iris I have done initial determination of the max time and I did optimize my volt alarm on the FC so I constantly use only 75-85%

This is on the product page: "The Quanum Telemetry system transmits a narrow, lightweight signal 4 times a second and uses DSSS technology to ensure no conflicts with other systems close by. ... And because its 2.4Ghz DSSS it wont interfere with your existing system, no matter what channel youre on!" ...

Shouldn't be a problem. Moreover, it is independent of your TX and is a self-contained display that simply clamps on whatever radio you use. Looks like a great product worth the $49.99.

vislaw

Regarding the Quanum telemetry system, it will measure up to 6S systems. I, however, fly with two 5000ma 4S batteries in parallel. Do any of you know whether the Quanum will measure the total system voltage or whether it is only measuring voltage of one battery when two are in parallel? (it connects to the battery balance plug and although you could monitor two 3S batteries with an adapter, it obviously can only handle a max of 6). Also, if I use one of these units with two 5000ma batteries in parallel does that mean I would set the consumption alarm for 80% of 10000ma? Any suggestions or thoughts appreciated.

Mark,

We have your Quantum Set up for 80% of 10,000mah (2 4S 5,000mah packs).
the alarm goes off at 80%. You have to Press the Bind button to hit the secon Screen to view this on your monitor.
First Alarm goes off at 3.7v/cell, Second at 3.6v/cell, third alarm(Danger!) 3.5v/cell.
It is all in the Instruction sheet we sent with your Machine.
You have all the tools needed at your Finger tips.
-John Wood
AddictiveRC, LLC

vislaw

Thanks John! I figured that out after I read the excellent sheet you guys packed with the Y6. .... Works beautifully.

Mark,

We have your Quantum Set up for 80% of 10,000mah (2 4S 5,000mah packs).
the alarm goes off at 80%. You have to Press the Bind button to hit the secon Screen to view this on your monitor.
First Alarm goes off at 3.7v/cell, Second at 3.6v/cell, third alarm(Danger!) 3.5v/cell.
It is all in the Instruction sheet we sent with your Machine.
You have all the tools needed at your Finger tips.
-John Wood
AddictiveRC, LLC

homer911

Can anyone expalin how I can set up two batteries in parallel to the Qanaum telemetry kit and get one voltage ?
Cheers
Steven

Vojec

Can anyone expalin how I can set up two batteries in parallel to the Qanaum telemetry kit and get one voltage ?
Cheers
Steven

Before figure out have a little fire alarm in my house, because wrong wiring 2 battery (balancer wire serial, power parallel). So here is a couple images that show how to wire parallel. Be careful.
Also here is the link with all different ways of battery wiring: http://scriptasylum.com/rc_speed/lipo.html and https://sites.google.com/site/tjinguytech/connectors

After wiring I use 2 batteries with 4S 5000mAh and set in quanum 10000mAh with 4S cell. Alarm goes with 25% or 20% remain mAh and 3.6 1st and 3.5 2nd voltage alarm...

And here is mine wiring:

View attachment 4436View attachment 4437

Attachments

• IMAG0590.jpg
    IMAG0590.jpg
    134.7 KB · Views: 363
  • IMAG0591.jpg
    IMAG0591.jpg
    141 KB · Views: 365
Last edited by a moderator:

Vojec

...also read somewhere from some expert guy said about length of additional power wire, if you want parallel or serial, it matters max 3 inc (7cm) long wire per battery in other way will kill ESC over time.
here is the link. I hope that is legal if I place link from another forum treat: link

homer911

I'm not sure you understood the question. I don't want to wire the batteries in parallel.

I have two batteries ( no connected to each other ). They are both connected to a copper ring power distribution loom. I want to get a tap off to measure the amp draw so that I can connect it to the telemetry.

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?pgxoj0
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vislaw

I'm not sure you understood the question. I don't want to wire the batteries in parallel.

I have two batteries ( no connected to each other ). They are both connected to a copper ring power distribution loom. I want to get a tap off to measure the amp draw so that I can connect it to the telemetry.

It is my understanding that you have effectively connected your batteries in parallel since they are both conneted to the same power distribution ring (both + and - connectors are connected to the same poles in that setup). Thus, your setup is effectively the same as mine in which I have both batteries connected using a "Y" parallel connector. The Quanum unit can only monitor individual cell voltages on the battery that you use to connect to the Quanum using its balance connector. Nevertheless, since you have both batteries powering the system in parallel the Quanum is monitoring the system total voltage and the total amperage drawn (at least that's my understanding). Therefore, my voltage and amperage warnings are accurate for the full system and I believe it would be overkill and unnecessary to use two Quanums just to monitor individual cell voltages in both batteries. Just set your voltage warnings appropriately (I use 3.6 and 3.4 for my two voltage alarms) and then multiply your battery amperage times two (I use two 6200 6S batteries so my total mah is 12400 and 80% is 9920 for my amperage alarm). Beyond all of that I use a timer on my transmitter so I can constantly check my time aloft. When I land I lock the timer and then I use a separate battery voltage checker to verify the resting voltage of both batteries. I record the flight duration with the voltages in a little notebook so that I have a good record of flight time vs battery voltage. After you do this awhile you find that the flight timer is the easiest way to manage your flights because the battery performance is quite consistent over time (if you take care of your batteries and don't over-discharge them). Nevertheless, there have been occasions when I've inadvertently stopped my timer or (blushing) I've forgotten to turn it on, so having the Quanum with realtime voltage monitoring is a good thing.