DJI with FPV

rwilabee

I just set up my quad with FPV 300mw at 1.3gig. In GPS mode I normally don't get any drifting. When I turn on the transmitter it starts drifting around and the strobe starts blinking white intermittently. Any ideas? I wonder if the WKM prefers a different frequency or maybe my transmitter is to close to the GPS antenna. Picture below.

Rich

View attachment 2128

Attachments

• WKM and FPV.jpg
    WKM and FPV.jpg
    136.2 KB · Views: 325

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
Just doing the same with my CX so i would be able to report in a couple days if i get any similar results. But i guess its quite obvious that its the video transmitter, you dont want to mount it to the landinggear and try it that way ?

Boris

rwilabee

I could try mounting it to the landing gear. It was just really a clean install to have the transmitter mounted to the plate, but good suggestion. Are you going with 1.3 gig also?

Rich

rwilabee

Hey Boris....

Here is a picture of the front. I can switch while in flight between the FPV camera and the GoPro camera. That way I can see what it is taking pictures of.

Rich

View attachment 2129

Just doing the same with my CX so i would be able to report in a couple days if i get any similar results. But i guess its quite obvious that its the video transmitter, you dont want to mount it to the landinggear and try it that way ?

Boris

Attachments

• IMG_0109.jpg
    IMG_0109.jpg
    135.8 KB · Views: 342

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
looking good ! i was thinking about using th gopro as main camera faced forward and having a small fpv cam at the back just to switch over if i get into an iekky situation. I really dont know a lot about fpv does it make sense to use the gopro as a primary fpv cam ? It give vid out during recording are there other reasons one shouldnt use it.

Thanks

Boris

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
looking good ! i was thinking about using th gopro as main camera faced forward and having a small fpv cam at the back just to switch over if i get into an iekky situation. I really dont know a lot about fpv does it make sense to use the gopro as a primary fpv cam ? It give vid out during recording are there other reasons one shouldnt use it.

Thanks

Boris

I use the GoPro as FPV cam on my MK Hexa, works just as well as a dedicated cam plus I can see the video timer from the GoPro so I know how long I've been in the air and approximately how much battery life I have. Not nearly as good as a full OSD setup but it's simple and cheap, two things you don't often find in the world of multirotors.

Ken

rwilabee

I have heard that there is a slight delay in the output of the gopro that some folks don't like. Especially during an FPV landing. This is pretty new to me also. I wanted to be able to take a few pics so I have the gopro angled down so it wouldn't work for the FPV camera. I'm not sure about the slight amount of fisheye if that would make any difference in depth perception.

Rich

Thanks

Boris

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
I've been using my GoPro with the Sunex lens for FPV so it doesn't really look much different from the goggles than it does with the small FPV cam. Since I'm flying around with built in autolevel and using GPS position hold to stop and look around I wouldn't know how to tell if there's a delay or not. If there is it can't be all that much though it could be a problem if you're zipping in and out of trees or something like that. I have the GoPro on an MK Hisight II mount so I can swivel it to straight down for landing approach but it also keeps the camera level so it's sometimes hard to tell if the MK is tilted to any degree. Wouldn't be a problem with the standard lens as it gets the landing gear and front motor in the FoV, Sunes lens puts the view out beyond all that.

Ken

rwilabee

Ken are you getting any interferance from your transmitter with the WKM or are you running a different system for FPV. What freq are you running? How do you like the Sunex lens compared to the stock GoPro lens. Will it fit in to the case?

Rich

I've been using my GoPro with the Sunex lens for FPV so it doesn't really look much different from the goggles than it does with the small FPV cam. Since I'm flying around with built in autolevel and using GPS position hold to stop and look around I wouldn't know how to tell if there's a delay or not. If there is it can't be all that much though it could be a problem if you're zipping in and out of trees or something like that. I have the GoPro on an MK Hisight II mount so I can swivel it to straight down for landing approach but it also keeps the camera level so it's sometimes hard to tell if the MK is tilted to any degree. Wouldn't be a problem with the standard lens as it gets the landing gear and front motor in the FoV, Sunes lens puts the view out beyond all that.

Ken

gadgetkeith

likes gadgets
hi Ken

can you record on the gopro while using the live out for fpv

also how does it handle the light changes from light to dark wile using for fpv

thanks keith

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
Ken are you getting any interferance from your transmitter with the WKM or are you running a different system for FPV. What freq are you running? How do you like the Sunex lens compared to the stock GoPro lens. Will it fit in to the case?

Rich

I'm not using it on the WKM (yet), my primary FPV mutli is an MK Hexa V1. I did try it on the F450 and got a bucket load of RFI over the link so I didn't even try to fly it that way. I do have another TX with FPV cam that I'm going to put on the CineStar 6 so I can see what the NEX 5N is seeing, or pretty close to it anyway, so I'll find out then how well it gets along with the WKM. The video TX is 5.8 gHz so it doesn't have a lot of range, but it also shouldn't interfere with anythingelse, at least it hasn't yet.

I have one GoPro case with no lens on the front so the Sunex can stick out through the hole. One of these days when I have nothing better to do I'll go out in the garage and cut an adaptor barrel out of Delrin so I can mount the lens on it and still use the Sunex. There isn't much difference between the Sunex and stock lens as far as color and contrast are concerned, the lack of fisheye effect being the thing I like the most about the Sunex.

Ken

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
hi Ken

can you record on the gopro while using the live out for fpv

also how does it handle the light changes from light to dark wile using for fpv

thanks keith

Yes, they made the change in the firmware to allow that quite a while ago, only thing is you get the recording icon plus timer showing in the video out but I actually like having the timer there at least so not a problem for me. I keep the camera angled down a bit so the changes in lighting aren't as dramatic as they would be if were straight out. I don't notice all that much difference between this setup and the dedicated FPV cam though I do try to not fly in the direction of the sun if I can help it.

Ken

gadgetkeith

likes gadgets
thanks Ken

my wish list (shhhhhhhush shopping list) changes from month to month the more i read these threads

just need to hurry up and get my move behind me

then comes the big spend

keith

Kilby

I'm using an FPV set up with my WK-M. 5.8ghz and seeing no problems. I have my transmitter just a little further away than you, but not much. I also have an extra long antenna lead that I ran away from the quad to try and get away from all the other electronics.

I mostly use the GoPro for photos, so I had to have an extra cam just for FPV, but I can toggle between the two. In photo mode, the GoPro will "snap" the photo and pause the image on the screen (and live feed) for a second with an hour glass icon over the screen. Not something you want in your only FPV view. Video mode is fine, that's only in still shot mode.

-Terry

rwilabee

Ken...

Did you check out the Rage Cams lens. Just not sure which one would be the best if I decide to change. I understand that the Rage Cam lens will fit back in the case.

Rich

I'm not using it on the WKM (yet), my primary FPV mutli is an MK Hexa V1. I did try it on the F450 and got a bucket load of RFI over the link so I didn't even try to fly it that way. I do have another TX with FPV cam that I'm going to put on the CineStar 6 so I can see what the NEX 5N is seeing, or pretty close to it anyway, so I'll find out then how well it gets along with the WKM. The video TX is 5.8 gHz so it doesn't have a lot of range, but it also shouldn't interfere with anythingelse, at least it hasn't yet.

I have one GoPro case with no lens on the front so the Sunex can stick out through the hole. One of these days when I have nothing better to do I'll go out in the garage and cut an adaptor barrel out of Delrin so I can mount the lens on it and still use the Sunex. There isn't much difference between the Sunex and stock lens as far as color and contrast are concerned, the lack of fisheye effect being the thing I like the most about the Sunex.

Ken

rwilabee

Well I moved the transmitter from the rear to a spot up front by the camera. That seemed to take care of the problem. That now frees up the space in the rear where I had the transmitter. I can use that spot and move the GPS antenna further back even further from the transmitter but it will put it closer to the rear motors. I'm trying to figure out what would be best. Move the GPS antenna even further from the transmitter and closer to the rear motors or leave it as is. I don't know if the GPS antenna can be affected by the motors. It would probably be about 2 to 3 inches further back. I have included a picture of where the transmitter was and where it is now.

Rich

View attachment 2130View attachment 2131

Attachments

• WKM and FPV.jpg
    WKM and FPV.jpg
    136.2 KB · Views: 298
  • New Position.jpg
    New Position.jpg
    132.7 KB · Views: 330

Kilby

Where do you have your RC rx? You should try to keep that and the vtx as far away from each other as possible.

rwilabee

Here is a picture of my receiver and you can see the vtx in front below. My antenna wires go away from the vtx. What do you think and do you think I should leave the gps antenna where it is or move it to the back plate where the vtx was, pics in the post a couple before this.

Rich

View attachment 2132

Where do you have your RC rx? You should try to keep that and the vtx as far away from each other as possible.

Attachments

• receiver.jpg
    receiver.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 333