dual battery cell count?

wbrown

I'm building a Cinestar 6 which will be used for heavy lifting. I originally thought I would just use one battery pack but after looking into it, it appears I can use two packs in parallel (which I have noticed most do on here) with no weight difference. If anything better weight to size ratio if I use higher mah packs.
So if I ‘am to run two packs would it be better to use two 3 cell packs or two 2 cell packs? Would there be a whole lot of difference in power between a combined 4 cell or 6 cell?

Thanks

matwelli

First work out what cell count matches your setup

Generally the batteries have the same cell count and are wired in parallel

Example, t wo 4s 5000 mah lipo's , would be run in parallel, giving you effectively 4s 10,000 mah .

wbrown

First work out what cell count matches your setup

Generally the batteries have the same cell count and are wired in parallel

Example, t wo 4s 5000 mah lipo's , would be run in parallel, giving you effectively 4s 10,000 mah .

So even if you run say two 4s together it doesn’t equate to 8s of power just 4?

iceman

If your batteries are wired in parallel the cell count is the same as the one battery as is the voltage, As stated before two 4s in parallel = 4s not 8s. make sure you use two identical batteries and keep them together as a pair and if possible use a dual battery charger and charge together.

matwelli

Exactly as plingboot and iceman says, parallel or series determines the cell count. But what keeps you flying is total energy, and that remains unchanged.

You need to match your battery voltage to the rest of your components, 8s is very rare in a multi as you would need a very low kv ( rpm) motor.

8s 5000 mah has the same total energy as a 4s 10000 mah setup

wbrown

Thanks for your help. I think I'm starting to get the idea. Guess I can't really tell how much voltage will be drawn until I set it all up. Is 4 cell the most common when using a parellel set up?