DJI with Kontronik Kobe

PapaRomeo

Boris: Flashing and braking ESCs apart and to solder wires to them sounds total garbage. Let's not forget that DJI is advertising that WKM can use any ESC!

"Unlike others, WooKong allows the use of regular ESC commonly used in RC helicopter without any wiring modification; Heli mode setup providing a seamless transition for current Ace One AP professionals." DJI WookongM mini website front page

And what are the most commonly used ESCs in RC helicopter are Kontronik, Castle, Hyperion, Jeti, Hacker

I've made the same type of choice for ESCs, and I've choosed Jeti SpinMaster. I was not confident with low cost models. Perhaps is it an error because so much people are happy with them... After testing Jeti on a quad, everything was fine, so I've soldered 6xJeti on my Cinestar6. They work very well, but sometimes I've got one of them that is not starting (the same each time). Strange ! I've only several flights on the CS6, so I need to be more precise while looking at this behavior. Usually, I cut the motors, start again one or two times and everything is OK. But I need to find why ! My settings are all manual settings on the escs, 8Khz, 24°, linear throttle curve etc. etc. I can't test anything before the next week !! Good luck with this bad thing...

PapaRomeo : most of the time it happens, the motor is just not starting and rare times : it turns slowly with this kind of horrible sound ;)
On mine, the "ferrites" on the ESC wires are still present. I wonder if it can cause something... But I let them because of the servos on the gimbal, to avoid any perturbations... Perhaps a bad idea !
- I will try to start the DJI and after that start the ESC.
- I will take a look at the different options for programming the low and high point of the curve.
- I've heard that it could be a problem of "timing" when we can hear a weird sound like that. But mine is not on "auto", it is manually set (?).

mbsteed

aerial video centric
I was worried that the heavy lift build would stress the 30A. However, Ken confirmed that the 30A ESC is fine as long as you stick with 4s batteries. You will need the 40A if you go with 5s. ....so I will probably go with 4s battery and go with the 30A.

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
Boris: Flashing and braking ESCs apart and to solder wires to them sounds total garbage. Let's not forget that DJI is advertising that WKM can use any ESC!

"Unlike others, WooKong allows the use of regular ESC commonly used in RC helicopter without any wiring modification; Heli mode setup providing a seamless transition for current Ace One AP professionals." DJI WookongM mini website front page

And what are the most commonly used ESCs in RC helicopter are Kontronik, Castle, Hyperion, Jeti, Hacker

Sorry Paparomeo, I tottaly agree and misused your thread. I am actually using Herkules ESC boards not comparable to counter ESCs actually. I am still very interested though in counter ESCs with modified firmware specially for multis. And since I couldn't figure out yet which 40a would work or can be altered with a modified fw, I wanted to catch and ask ddmt, hoping he knows.

I am also very interested in higher quality counter ESCs but the reason I haven't tried any yet is because I can't tell how adequate their firmware is for multis. Firmware designed for those mainly adresse heli or plans. Saying that DJI says any counter ESCs works but some of us using multirotor specific ESCs like Herkules or flashed counter ESCs think to have seen improvements to their copter when it comes to stability. Compared to standard ESCs with default fw.

Boris

ddmt

ddmt do you know of any 40a ESCs that can be flashed with simonk firmware. All i am finding are 30a max and thats it !

I have the plush 40a not sure what chip is on it and i guess flashing them wouldnt work anyways since i cant get these sandwiched together boards apart.

Thanks Boris

If you can find the plush with atmel chip, then yeah that will work just fine with simonk's FW.

DennyR

I have reprogrammed the Kontroniks to their defaults (APM-mode) and now they all run but it seems that the throttle range is very limited. Meaning the motors spin imo way too fast after the start up sticks. Too fast to try with the props on. Or maybe I have to try with a 2s battery.

DJI support ofcourse is non existent. I written that company several times but no replies.

Garys suggestions of escs are too small, I would need 5s and 40A. That site also sells something called PULSO. Are they compatible with this DJI?

Pulso dont work properly with DJI. Don't know if they can be reflashed. They will run and take-off but response seems very slow.

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
Thanks ddmt i have the sandwich built plush and i cant take them apart to get the the chip. Maybe i am just chicken to brake them and it would work with more force.

Paparomeo. What you can try is trick the WKM. No props on start the motors up in attitude mode and pick up the bird bring it to two meters height and the motors should reduce speed. WKM senses an alt change in a under mid stick position and should regulate down. If it does switch it off and start the bird again. It should remember the start up speed.

I have just experienced a couple times that the bird reacts completely differently concerning motors start up speed when i switch payloads. Meaning if i flew the bird with full payload 1 kg cam 2 lipos etc. and than take off the payload he start off with a much to high motor speed. Still using the calculation of the payload midstick etc. from before.

If the spin up already is to high in manual this trick might be useless but still try it. Who knows how it calculates/interprets the startup speed and is might even influence manual mode.

Boris

Last edited by a moderator:

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
thanks red,

mine are maybe 4 months old I guess they probably are also silab. I would just love to have a cheaper 40a options than the hercules. As much as i like the herkules boards to have them on all birds kills my budget.

Boris

GGoodrum

Here are some 40A Maytechs from an Australian site, which already have the higher update rate, have a 16kHz PWM setting (less motor whine...) and are good up to 6s. :)

-- Gary

PapaRomeo

DJI Support has replied

They admit that the only compatible ESC is Hobbywing. They do not specify which but obviously all Hobbywings work.

Later in specs on their web site they go and scpecify that 400Hz Escs are compatible but that frequency rating is not a standard selling point of any ESC. Counter ESCs are advertised by their AMPs and Volts and sometimes their features but newer by their HERTZ... "Use Regular over counter ESC", "Unlike other systems, the DJI WooKong allows you to use regular speed controllers (ESC) that are commonly used in the RC model world, without any specific wiring or software modification."

I am thinking about returning my 2x WKM units to my dealer since they have been sold on lies and misinformation.

The biggest worry is what else is not true with DJI and can you trust devices built by such company who brakes their major marketing promises...

Terrible mistake! They really need to fix their firmware yesterday and live up to their marketing message.

mbsteed

aerial video centric
Well that part of their marketing maybe slightly off and it will probably cause folks some grief. This may cause me pain because I have ordered the Maytech 30A for my build but I would be surprised if those don't work. That said, DJI may still be the best option out there unless you are into soldering and want to go the Mikrokopter approach (I don't think Mikrokopter gets it either for other reasons) and then you are into their ESCs or some kind of work around. I think you need to cut DJI some slack, first the whole multi rotor thing is only a few years old, and for this company, the multi rotor option has only recently been released, so this is new for them ...and most companies oversell their products. This is really the first attempt by any company to create something that is a serious step up from a technical build that most folks want to avoid. ...so if you return your product then what? ...go Mikrokopter and build the thing, go with a cheaper solution with fewer options, or give up on it entirely? I suggest you read the forum threads on this product and that will give you a good sense for how it performs.

ddmt

False advertising? Not really IMHO, they never say it will work with ALL over the counter ESC. They only say it will work with regular over the counter ESC, true, like the Hobbywing and re-branded hobbywing ESCs.

PapaRomeo

ddmt>Maybe not in USA. But yes in EU.

Why do not they claim that it works with Hobbywing and modified Turnigys? If it it works basically with one or a few ESCs you can't really claim commonly available ESCs. I could not find any dealers selling these ESCs in EU.

The fact is that they did not know and not did their dealers either at least my dealer had no idea what was the problem.

DJI supports first answer was that I did not know how to program my ESCs (Kontronics). Then I wrote back and said that the ESCs are properly programmed and sent the video.

Took them over 2 days to get back and then they had discovered that "Kontronics may be popular and good with helicopters and planes but do not work well with multis" and they recommended me to buy Hobbywing.

mbsteed: I have a lot of experience with DJI systems and have been a very good customer for them since the very early days of their business. I have spent tens of thousands of dollars on their systems and have encountered all kinds of challenges and dealt with them. I have also a lot of experience in RC. I have flown helis since the nineties and I fly frequently electric planes, turbine jets, turbine helicopters, electric helis and these multis.

The thing is that if a corporation "oversells" the trust is easily lost and replaced by doubt. You see these devices are potentially very dangerous. It is not a matter of slack it is a matter of air safety and professionalism. Maybe you can afford the slack if you are a hobbyist but if you fly these for money you should not.

I've made 8 flights this morning with Jeti MasterSpin 33A + DJI + CS6, and everything was just fine. No strange things like the other day. Only the last flight was with the maximum payload (GH2 + gimbal). The last time I saw the bad starting of one motor, was when I was trying big 14'' props. Today, the best flying attitude was with APC SF 12x3.8 (12x6 , 13x6.5 and 14x4.7 wasn't nice...). Perhaps a loose connexion was the fault. The weeks before I was playing a lot with programming the ESC with a jetibox (so I've made a lot of wiring/unwiring). I will tell if I see something again (or not), because I will fly a lot this week. Hope it helps.